Amplifiers basic purpose

Cnu

I have just read from few member that NAD is tight punchy where as Marantz is more on treble & comparatively less bass...i wonder that an amplifiers basic function is amplify what ever is fed to them...from millivolts to volts such that they can drive speakers...and a good amplifier can do this with less noise in it..best the amplifier better is amplification without noise...so if its the basic function of amplifier than the treble or bass enriched in sound is because of the source such as ipod,pc or cdp...since im new to this thing...im confused with this...i like People with good knowledge can help me get my confusion cleared

I have just read from few member that NAD is tight punchy where as Marantz is more on treble & comparatively less bass...i wonder that an amplifiers basic function is amplify what ever is fed to them...from millivolts to volts such that they can drive speakers...and a good amplifier can do this with less noise in it..best the amplifier better is amplification without noise...so if its the basic function of amplifier than the treble or bass enriched in sound is because of the source such as ipod,pc or cdp...since im new to this thing...im confused with this...i like People with good knowledge can help me get my confusion cleared

In an ideal world the amp should not color the sound but different electronics produce different sounds. Hence the variations. Then its not just your amp even the source player dac and connectors influence the sound ... And oh yes we forgot the recording studio!!!

Hi Cnu,

I don't agree that Marantz amps are in any way inferior to NAD (lets not start a war), but both are of different sound signatures. Each will sound good with a particular brand of speakers. I heard from a leading dealer of Monitor Audio at Chennai, that the present breed of Marantz i.e the PM 5003 / 6003 amps drive any demanding speakers with ease, and they are also very neutral.

N.Murali

Cnu, the basic purpose of the amp is to amplify the current to drive your speakers. Ideally it should no2 colour the signal. But listeners do like a bit of coloration according to the music they listen to, preferences etc. The various sonic attributes are to an extent due to the various electronic components used and their characteristics. For ex.a certain capacitors charging-discharging rates may affect the transients in music (correct me if I am,wrong).

Hi Cnu,

I don't agree that Marantz amps are in any way inferior to NAD (lets not start a war), but both are of different sound signatures. Each will sound good with a particular brand of speakers. I heard from a leading dealer of Monitor Audio at Chennai, that the present breed of Marantz i.e the PM 5003 / 6003 amps drive any demanding speakers with ease, and they are also very neutral.

N.Murali

nobody said anything about marantz being inferior....check the OP's query again...lesser haste lesser wars :lol:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back