Amplifiers brands available in India(Specially Delhi )?

Stuge

First of Hi :)

Well,Yesterday I came to know good that brands like Cambridge audio are available in Delhi :),but I have not idea how much their Amplifiers costs .

Are these brands also available in Delhi like Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, harman/kardon, Technics, NAD, Linn, Rotel ?

Also ,are portable headphone amplifier like these(image) available here in India ?

pico_j4.jpg

image from head-fi.org
I want amplifier to power up my beyerdynamics DT770 pro and Sennnheiser HD650 .

I want my setup to be like this

PC(I have ESI-Juli@)---> Amp-->HD650/DT770 pro .

My budget is only Rs 20K (lesser is better for me )

anyway,how is this
Cambridge Audio

or Cambridge Audio

are what is the cost of these ?

thanks in advance and suggestion's will be appreciated :)

Stuge:

Welcome to the Forum.

What are you looking for? An integrated amp or headphone amp? The companies that you mentioned - Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Technics, NAD, Linn, Rotel... are all represented in India. All these companies make pre amplifiers, power amplifiers, and integrated amps to power loudspeakers, not headphones. The prices of these products vary depending upon specification. But, just to give you an idea, they could cost from somewhere around 15,000 to a couple of lakhs.

Headphone amplifiers are made by a different set of companies such as Headroom, Grado, Single Power Audio, Graham Slee, etc.

For you price range you should look for amps from Headroom. They are supposed to be very good and affordable.

Cheers

Stuge:

Welcome to the Forum.

What are you looking for? An integrated amp or headphone amp? The companies that you mentioned - Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Technics, NAD, Linn, Rotel... are all represented in India. All these companies make pre amplifiers, power amplifiers, and integrated amps to power loudspeakers, not headphones. The prices of these products vary depending upon specification. But, just to give you an idea, they could cost from somewhere around 15,000 to a couple of lakhs.

Headphone amplifiers are made by a different set of companies such as Headroom, Grado, Single Power Audio, Graham Slee, etc.

For you price range you should look for amps from Headroom. They are supposed to be very good and affordable.

Cheers

OOOOOOOOOO Golden words from VAIN CUT C R.
Thanks.
Good Job.
Keep It Up.
Have a Nice Net Surfing.
Bye Bye.:D

thanks for the welcome :)

basically,I'm looking for a headphone amp ,but If I'm right Headphone amps are not available in India or Delhi and secondly I'm not confortable buying headphone amp over online (from abroad ).I would love to buy from here only .

in b/w I did find that Cambridge audio integrated amp has headphone out .

stuge,
there was a response on a similar post i made about indian made headphone amps. a headphone amp/pre amp available from lyrita audio, delhi. i'm hoping he gets his friend who purchased said amp to give us a review.

i know that most 'portable headphone amps' are available on ebay and will ship to india, but i guess the point is to be able to audition the unit before buying.

if you want some buying advice/reviews etc, Head-Fi.org: Headphones, iPod earphones, portable audio, MP3 players, high-end audio, but you probably already knew that.:p

peace,
a

yes, I know about head-fi audio (member their since 2006,but the problem is I'm not in favor of importing things from abroad (due to customs etc etc) though its much easier to import Walkman etc .)

Now ,I want to know how is Cambridge audio Azur 340?

in b/w I got Sennhesier HD650 yesterday :).

The 340A and 340ASE should be under 12k and 15k respectively. I believe the 340A-SE has negligibly more power than the 340A, front input for MP3 players and a iPod-dock compatible remote. However almost all amps have a headphone output connection so this is not unique to the CA. What the CA has going for it is price -- throw in another 6 or 7,000 and you can buy their S30 compact loudspeakers as well. Only consider how long you intend to keep the amp running as it could run rather hot if kept on for extended periods.

Particleman and Stuge. Somehow the concept of using an integrated amp to connect to a PC for a pair of headphones... does not make sense to me. You will be underutilising the capabilities of the amp, and paying too much to power a pair of headphones.

Stuge, if you can surf the Net, and decide which model and brand you want, there are people who can import it for you against specific orders. For a headphone amp, I doubt there will be any customs duty at all.

But, if you still insist on a integrated amp, the CA models are good.

Cheers

@venkatcr:

Do you any idea people who deal in this ?Importing things for others ??

Well,headphone amps like Pico(shown in the first post ) are not that cheap either and like the one given in link below .

News - Ray Samuels Audio

@venkatcr:
Do you any idea people who deal in this ?Importing things for others ??
Well,headphone amps like Pico(shown in the first post ) are not that cheap either and like the one given in link below . News - Ray Samuels Audio

Well you started with a budget restriction. '20K is may max, lesser the better'. If you can flex you budget, you should seriously talk to Bakshi of Lyrita Audio. He will be the best bet for a Indian Headphone Amp.

I know of companies in Chennai which will import any reasonable item. I am sure there are companies like that in Delhi, There will be a waiting time, of course.

Many of these international brands have Indian distributor/dealers. There is no harm in sending them a e-mail. You might be surprised with an Indian address.

Cheers

Yes. Talk to Mr. Viren Bakshi there. He is in Delhi and would be able to make a tube based headphone amp. That will beat most of the other headphone amps in the market.

Cheers.

Well,I called him today and he was asking for approx Rs 19,000 for the tube amp.Now in that price I can even get CA 540A or If I spend few more I can get 640A.

Also its not portable either .

in b.w I also visited CA showroom in Delhi ,but sadly they don't have 340A /SE and according to sales person it will take at least 20-30 days (though I'm not in a hurry at all ).

Last edited:
Well,I called him today and he was asking for approx Rs 19,000 for the tube amp.Now in that price I can even get CA 540A or If I spend few more I can get 640A. Also its not portable either. in b.w I also visited CA showroom in Delhi, but sadly they don't have 340A /SE and according to sales person it will take at least 20-30 days (though I'm not in a hurry at all ).

Well, being tube amp, they may actually sound better that the CA amps. Since you are in Delhi, why don't you go across to Lyrita and have an audition. Carry your headphines, and I am sure Viren will allow you to use them and try them.

Stuge, I have given you my views of using a integrated amp for just headphones. Does not sound right to me. If you get any integrated amp, it will not be as portable as a headphone amp. You will have to tinker with long cables, sit a bit away from you PC, or have a long cable from the amp to your headphone, worry about amp's placement etc.

I feel you are confusing issues of price, availability in India etc., and are looking for a compromise.

Ideally you should look for a headphone amp that costs roughly 150$ and is a small box that you can place on your computer table. If it has a USB, it should be able to get power from the system.

Cheers

Last edited:
thanks for all the help venktcr.

I can understand what you are trying to say
I will try to go virens house and compare both CA amp and Virens amp ..

Did you meet Viren? i got a valve amp from him a year back and full range fostex speakers, they sound super and i am really enjoying the system. Viren is a great guy and i have had a great experience with him!!

Unfortunately ,I'm not able to find the spare time to go to his house :( .I know his house is in Sarita Vihar .

Did you meet Viren? i got a valve amp from him a year back and full range fostex speakers, they sound super and i am really enjoying the system. Viren is a great guy and i have had a great experience with him!!

Hi,

I own Viren's 2A3 SET amp and his phono stage.Viren is a terrific person to deal with and his products are world class in terms of performance.

Good to know that there are other Lyrita owners in Madras. What amp did you buy from Viren?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

I own Viren's 2A3 SET amp and his phono stage.Viren is a terrific person to deal with and his products are world class in terms of performance.

Good to know that there are other Lyrita owners in Madras. What amp did you buy from Viren?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,

I have the integre One integrated amplifier, i also picked up the Harmony speakers Japanese Fostex FE127E. Whats speakers are you on? just like you, i too am satisfied with the performance.

regards,
Harshan

Back