Amplifiers for Cadence Speakers

50w class a seems real overkill

If you're into DIY the various First watt clones work

Otherwise tubes. Speak to Viren to see what options he has
Per viren his highest powered amps would run full load on speakers like arca and per him it is not recommended

most Class A amps are challenged on power too....any angle on this?
I had the Aristas for a few years which I had sold while moving out of Chennai. I had paired them initially with the AP pre-power combo which I replaced with the Dared 845, their flagship Integrated Amp that outputted 33 watts of Class A SET power. The sound was divine. Always regretted selling them off.

Not sure of the component scene these days ! The First watt 25watt amps might be a really great option and they could be DIY'ed by folks here as well.

. Dr.Bass had Conrad Johnson pre powers for sale which at 70W might be an option as well.

I had the Aristas for a few years which I had sold while moving out of Chennai. I had paired them initially with the AP pre-power combo which I replaced with the Dared 845, their flagship Integrated Amp that outputted 33 watts of Class A SET power. The sound was divine. Always regretted selling them off.
this is interesting Captain Sir.. could you shed some light on key difference between AP and Dared...AP would be SS I imagine..? any difference especially in controlling the woofers...or impact on the electrostats

Noted.

Do you think it maybe a decent match for cadence stable..

Any theories, around 36watts push pull el34 vs a class A solid state...i understand implementation Of latter would be the key...lets say something that Om did with f5 v2... I also understand aniket has his line of amps, too.. Pretty impressive to look :)

I guess, I'm in love with the imperfections (harmonics?) Of tube and am looking for same in a SS... The risk is, very few of us may have gone this route with cadence.... The confidence is in the fact that Cadence amps are hybrids too...perhaps it is doing a tube pre and SS output... I maybe wrong in exact Terminology...

@sachu888
@Santy
@omishra
@arj
@IndianEars
In My Opinion, EL34 output tubes cant do Rock music.... Fine for western Classical.

Avoid EL34 if ylisten to a lot of rock music.

KT88, 6550 & KT120 are good for rock n grunt

Last edited by a moderator:
In My Opinion, EL34 output tubes cant do Rock music.... Fine for western Classical.

Avoid EL34 if you listen to a lot of rock music.
I agree..It struggled quite a bit with my aristas.. At moderate levels it was excellent, like when I'm listening by myself.. Definitely not to entertain

I'm getting same feedback, that kt88s are the way to go... I see dared has one

this is interesting Captain Sir.. could you shed some light on key difference between AP and Dared...AP would be SS I imagine..? any difference especially in controlling the woofers...or impact on the electrostats
AP pre was tubed; 6N2P I guess. The Power amp had an output of 70 watts. Those days, AP used to make their amps for the given budget. Mine was the budget range. The Preamp was good and even had a stepped attenuator but the Power amp didn't have the juice to drive them. I could've retained the pre and sold just the Power amp but didn't want to separate the pair. Took a blind leap of faith in buying Dared and was truly rewarded. I sold it while moving alright but one reason was, I was not happy with the dynamics which I attributed to the speaker. Though it had adequate lows, refined highs and midrange to die for.

AP pre was tubed; 6N2P I guess. The Power amp had an output of 70 watts. Those days, AP used to make their amps for the given budget. Mine was the budget range. The Preamp was good and even had a stepped attenuator but the Power amp didn't have the juice to drive them. I could've retained the pre and sold just the Power amp but didn't want to separate the pair. Took a blind leap of faith in buying Dared and was truly rewarded. I sold it while moving alright but one reason was, I was not happy with the dynamics which I attributed to the speaker. Though it had adequate lows, refined highs and midrange to die for.
Thanks Capt.

May I know what have you moved on to now and is it better..

Despite all the flaws in cadence, the only reason why I'm attracted back to it is coz of the way it plays certain music, I simply could not replicate that magic in some other speakers...eg. In the song luka chuppi, when tabla is introduced, it's simply breathtaking on cadence. Similarly intro to tomorrow morning by jack Johnson and such..

I'm convinced a va1 would still deliver the goods on these genres of music. I was trying to see if anyone has experimented with other amps...i understand from posts so far that kt88s and some SS speakers did bring out different aspect from an arista..

I moved to Tannoy Monitor Reds but they need reconing and are lying boxed. Currently don't have much free time and listen to DIY Bookshelves being driven by Class D Audio's CDA 254 Amp. Just a stopgap arrangement.

1. Cadance used a 10inch Eaton driver, if I am not mistaken.

The link is for a 12 inch driver.

2. The link is for a CAR audio unit. Because of the low (12 Volts) car battery, car audio speakers are created with low impedances.... 2 ohms in this case.

Home audio drivers are typically 4 ohms or 8 ohms impedance.

Clearly Cadence did not use this driver

1. Cadance used a 10inch Eaton driver, if I am not mistaken.

The link is for a 12 inch driver.

2. The link is for a CAR audio unit. Because of the low (12 Volts) car battery, car audio speakers are created with low impedances.... 2 ohms in this case.

Home audio drivers are typically 4 ohms or 8 ohms impedance.

Clearly Cadence did not use this driver
I think it's the same brand...definition of cone, material, the color of cone... All looks too familiar :) the dust cap maybe removed to add cadence brass phaser..

hmm does cadence still manufacture its speakers ? or you have to buy used ? Can't find anything on their website.

On ARCA Electrostatic panels , I have something to share. I have been happily using ARCA since 2013 as I can recall. It was their Rev 4 model , I think . Sensitivity at 91.5 db . I drive them with 35 WPC KT 88 tube based amp. My listening room is about 13x24 ft , fully treated ceiling with acoustic panels. The Electrostatic panels have been still working like new on day 1, never needed any service or replacement so far. I supply fully filtered and conditioned AC power to ARCA.
I am in Ahmedabad where it's very dry weather , very low humidity except in 2 month's of July , August. Atleast, I never had any issues with panels.

hmm does cadence still manufacture its speakers ? or you have to buy used ? Can't find anything on their website.
They make the Avita model, and their two amps ( VA 1.0 and Canasya), but only against orders. All other speakers have been discontinued, but they do provide support for re-foiling the electrostat panels.

brethren, got hold of what seemed like almost distant dream for me, cadence ARCA, refurbished units from cadence directly,along with their much coveted (at least that's what older posts suggests) the 20 watts, all class A version of va 1.0

In past I have had experience with arista and va 1.0, the 36 watts version, i now understand this is class a till 9 watts then class ab.

Sonically both amps sound poles apart. 20 watts version is pretty bloomy and articulate*
To the extent, I feel this is highly underrated. Can't wait to pair this with full rangers. Dare I say I like it much better than the 2a3 SET I had before. This has more flesh around the sound, in a nice warm way without compromising on detail*.

well, How does it pair with ARCA, absolutely stunning with most genres I hear, but not with trance/house/metal...strangely here though, I felt it is HIGHLY sensitive to certain type of recordings. For eg. Radiohead's Amnesiac which has a pretty heavy dose of electronic, sounds sublime on it, but not edm. Perhaps edm is faster, hence!

*Acoustics, classic rock, jazz, Indian, pop, indie all sound subliminal on them.

Last edited:
Sonically both amps sound poles apart. 20 watts version is pretty bloomy and articulate*
To the extent, I feel this is highly underrated. Can't wait to pair this with full rangers. Dare I say I like it much better than the set I had before. This has more flesh around the sound, in a nice warm way without compromising on detail*.

Congratulations !
BTW what do you mean by "Bloomy" ?

Congratulations !
BTW what do you mean by "Bloomy" ?
Thanks!

bloomy...my naive way of describing it has nice midrange...in some guitar amps you have this control called contour...if dialed in just about right one gets this orangey goodness..add a bit of chorus/delay to it and you are there :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back