An all-in-one Ripper+HDD+Media player?

milestoneseeker

Folks,

While I have gone through multiple threads, I have not been able to pinpoint a final answer for requirements as follows:

1. No laptop/PC usage
  2. HDD based media player (so not hung up on NAS)
  3. Ripping of CDs through the device itself
  4. Seamless ability to play through USB/Optical out --> DAC
  5. No networking requirements, just want to connect a DAC and play. I don't want a dependency on setting up a network to connect to the appliance.
From what I gather, Vortexbox appliance comes closest to it but has potential issues when playing through USB as it is meant to be used as a networked device. Plus, I am not sure if it offers optical/digital out for DAC.

Then there are products like Oliver 4HD but I am not sure if I will like to jump onto a >1L solution upfront. But I have heard very good reviews of the internal DAC of the Olive 4HD. And unlike 2HD, it offers optical/digital out for an external DAC.

So what options do I have?

I think to find an all-in-one solution under 1L (within one box) which works reliably and offers a professional interface as well as the connectivity at a level that you want, will be very difficult (but other FMs could know more about units at this level). There are many solutions under 1L which are discussed in various posts on this forum, but most require a laptop or several boxes......or you may hve to DIY it.
I have heard the Olive - its ok. There are better solutions (but at slightly higher prices) like the Aurender. I use a one box solution and it sounds even better than my CDs with 2 x 2TB within the box for archiving the digital files. It plays off another SDD drive. However it too comes at a price and at the moment cannot recommend it as it is in development stage.

Hmm, so at least I am not dense since I couldn't imagine a solution for such requirements is not available easily :)
And thanks for the feedback on Olive. The all-in-one solution looked very tempting but it better have a very good DAC to justify the tag.
For options where CD ripping is external, which is the best option?

There is a separate post on CD ripping software. I use DBPoweramp. You can get an external high speed drive to speed up the process I suppose. My drive takes about 5-7 mins for a one hour CD ripping to uncompressed WAV.

A PC with good digital out sound card in a sleek case ? The default CD drive function could be to rip with your favorite ripping program once inserted.

Sachin,

A sleek case but still need a monitor, rt? Else how would I navigate through the stuff, especially if I have the media server installed on the PC. With those all-in-one stuff, one at least get a LCD panel to browse even if the panel is slightly small.

I guess I need to think through this more. I want to move to the digital media as I can see some of my very old CDs now failing due to scratch or two but need an elegant solution.

I am looking for exactly the same thing for the last year or so but unable to come up with anything .......... I would like to use something like a cheap netbook hooked up to an external HDD and play music and internet radio through a good quality external DAC...
Suggestions?????

I've searched a lot for something similar. Only came up with a couple but in excess of $2000 or $3000. I'll dig up the links and post... have them bookmarked somewhere.

I did settle for a PC myself. Yeah, you'll need a monitor but that's ok. With tweaking and taking tips from the CAPS system I'm sure anyone can build a PC that will rival any CDP/transport or media player.

Was just informed of Trigon's Chronolog which provides a similar functionality and has a high end DAC built in (192 khz/24 bit, Burr Brown) and includes loads of output connection options. Landed India price - 3.3L, intro offer of 2.5L :(

I think the C300 has a slot for an optical drive such BD but I am not sure if it has an option of the optical disc being intergated with internal HDD for ripping and storing. At least this is what I gathered from the website.

IMO, there is no reasonably priced all in one box solution. If I were you I will buy two devices, both should come under INR 20-30k.

(1) A DVD/BDP player with ripping capability. There are many Philips BDPs that do so.

(2) A media player with ability to have in built storage. There are many of them on the market. I have one such media player. It can not only play from external sources such cards, USBs and network but also has a built in hard drive. And yes, it does output to DAC on Coax/TOSLink/HDMI.

@ranjeetrain,

for the component #2, which HDD+Media player will be your recommendation? I know there are solutions from companies such as WD.

8202603572_0831375704_b.jpg

I will suggest this one. Headline features:

• 2 TB built in storage
  • Internet streaming
  • Wireless and wired network play
  • Decodes all latest formats
  • 3D playback
  • Coax, TOSLink, HDMI
  • Full function remote
  • Looks like Apple TV
  • Works better than Apple TV

Last edited:
Staxxx, which particular model did you buy? From what I gather from the site, this is a media server with ability to plug'n'play HDD but does not have an optical drive integration? I assume the digital outs from TViX are audiophile grade (if there is anything like this) and supposedly sound better than, say, WD Live?

I am not sure what you mean by optical drive integration. I bought the Slim S1. It has a built in 2TB HDD which can be switched in and out easily, but it also has Toslink optical/SPDIF coaxial out. You can also connect to an independent amp via the analogue outs, although I cannot find anything about the DACs in my quick look at the website.
I use the unit mainly for video so I have it connected to my TV thru the HDMI output.
It also provides for USB and e-sata inputs for external connections to HDDs etc.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back