An EMT 938 at last !

Yes. The phono pre with the step up transformers.

Prem,

There was never any preamp board with MC transformers for a EMT938. The MC transformer option was available only in 948 and other big brothers. What you have is a custom implementation.

BTW, I am carrying your stuff to Mumbai the coming week. Will message.

Cheers.

My bad Anilva. I keep forgetting mine is a customised one. Look forward to seeing you in Mumbai

Dear Kuruvila,

Here we meet again! Congratulations on your new acquisition. I have always admired the EMT Turntables from the 1980s. Never owned one for various reasons.

Perhaps, you may recall our discussions (in the mid 90s?) about a joint participation at VSAC. I was the Lowther Distributer for Australia and New Zealand then. I have retired now and in the process of selling my factory. I continue to be a Lowther enthusiast.

The most dynamic cartridge that I have enjoyed and admired over the years has been the Decca London (Moving Magnet). AKG P8ES came close in the dynamics department, but I could never tame its rising high frequencies satisfactorily. Perhaps I used Polystyrene capacitors instead of Silver Micas. I stuck to Polystyrenes because RIFA in Melbourne used to make them for me +/- 1 pF, as long as I ordered minimum 10pcs. Gone are those days of pride in manufacturing!

Moving Coils can extract slightly more micro detail over the Moving Magnets. I have owned Denon DL 103D, several Koetsus, Gold Bug Brier, Dynavectors etc.. These are all apologetic in the dynamics department when compared to the Moving Magnets mentioned earlier.

I shall send a PM soon.

Regards,
Mohan Varkey
01 November 2015

Dear Mohan,
Thank you for the detailed explanation on the many cartridges you have used. Here in India, we are not fortunate to get many of them unless we get them from abroad. looking forward to your PM
Regards
Kuruvila

Kuruvila, I apologise for some of the non-relevant comments. For some reason, I mistook your name for that of Jacob George (Rethm). I did not mean to offend anyone. I am 72 years old and my memory needs recycling.

Regards,
Mohan
4th November, 2015

Kuruvila, I apologise for some of the non-relevant comments. For some reason, I mistook your name for that of Jacob George (Rethm). I did not mean to offend anyone. I am 72 years old and my memory needs recycling.

Regards,
Mohan
4th November, 2015

dear sir

experience is most welcome on this forum.

please do keep visiting as often as you can and it will be nice to have more members with significant experience and wisdom.

regards

Dear Kuruvila,

Here we meet again! Congratulations on your new acquisition. I have always admired the EMT Turntables from the 1980s. Never owned one for various reasons.

Perhaps, you may recall our discussions (in the mid 90s?) about a joint participation at VSAC. I was the Lowther Distributer for Australia and New Zealand then. I have retired now and in the process of selling my factory. I continue to be a Lowther enthusiast.

The most dynamic cartridge that I have enjoyed and admired over the years has been the Decca London (Moving Magnet). AKG P8ES came close in the dynamics department, but I could never tame its rising high frequencies satisfactorily. Perhaps I used Polystyrene capacitors instead of Silver Micas. I stuck to Polystyrenes because RIFA in Melbourne used to make them for me +/- 1 pF, as long as I ordered minimum 10pcs. Gone are those days of pride in manufacturing!

Moving Coils can extract slightly more micro detail over the Moving Magnets. I have owned Denon DL 103D, several Koetsus, Gold Bug Brier, Dynavectors etc.. These are all apologetic in the dynamics department when compared to the Moving Magnets mentioned earlier.

I shall send a PM soon.

Regards,
Mohan Varkey
01 November 2015
Welcome Sir..That is quite an enviable setup you have there !

I was using a DL103R untill i heard a Decca..mine is of course an older Decca MarkV/EE but that made music in a way that simply hooked me.

I was reading up on your Stax speakers and reproducing the same for other FMs
Few speakers are in the same league as the Quad, but one such speaker is the Stax ELS F-81. Approximately 1,000 units were produced from 1981 to 1992. A stacked pair version of the F-81 was produced primarily for the US market, the ELS F-83. Only a few pair were produced. Both speakers have a near cult following and are extremely rare.

Regards,
Mohan
4th November, 2015

Hello Mohan,
I am just 10 years younger than you. I am not offended at all. I knew it was a mistaken identity, but I did not want to mention it on the forum at that time

Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back