An evening with Viren and Lyrita

anm

Hi all,
This saturday, I got time and chance to go to Viren's place and listen to his system. Reached a little late than planned, as something unusual popped up. However, Viren was kind enough to accomodate a late comer.

This isn't really a review. I am just sharing my experience in very plain simple dry words. I am not an audiophile with golden ears or lofty words to describe audio systems.

I went with some my of CDs, mostly hindi film songs, like Sur, Namak Halal, Sharabi, Kailash Khers Jhoome Re album, Bombay. I didnt listen to Bombay, instead listened to a song from Dil Se that Virent put up. I was very determined to run Eagles Hotel California on his system, but that was the only CD I missed out. Damn, thats careless! I would do that in another session.

Viren connected 3W integrated SET amp with the tall speakers. Listening room was slightly small I guess 11ftx14ft while our distance from speaker would be around 10 ft. Separation between the speakers would be around 7 ft. Speakers were slightly toed in to point to the listening position. Pretty close to the config I have in my listening room, except there is more distance in my room between side walls and speakers, and there is 4-5 feet at the back from where I sit. Looks wise, I think they are good, specially if you are like me and like wood in your drawing room more than shining plastic.

Some of my CDs were rejected by Viren as low quality recording, including Jhoomo Re, and George Harrisons my guitar gently weeps. I was enjoying them though. That gives you an idea that how much can you actually trust my review of the system. I enjoy good music on most systems thats a flaw with my ears.

I went with a pre-determined mind set. Find out the flaws with just 3W system, though I am not very capable to find flaws as I said above.. Luckily (or unluckily due to my low budget) Viren had already connected low power 3W integrated amp only. Focused to hear missing top end, and for missing bottom end. It should be simple to figure this out, isnt it? Anyone can figure out the lack of bass! However, in all the songs I took with me, and many more that Viren put on his own, I found bass substantial/ adequate as per my taste. Volume was loud enough, even when the volume was at 10-11 o clock. At some point in time I found the music quite loud, and turned it down a bit. CD player used was a marantz 5000.

One track he put from his Jazz collection, started with good bass, and I was convinced about the bass being good enough for music. As I said before, I will try some more decent bass tracks in a next session. If someone has any suggestions, do let me know.

I couldnt find any fault. Music had clarity, number of instruments were simultaneously audible without muddying each other, voice was great. I really liked manzilen apni jagah hain from Sharabi I had to listen to Kishore Kumar on any system I would even think of buying. Ashas voice also sounded good. Some Indian classical instrumental was put up by Viren and it was clear and musical as well. Both top and bottom end were good.

I found the system quite good for music. Can not compare with any high end, as I have not heard real high end stuff. In this short session, I am not sure what was the magic of the valves, but I liked what I heard. Do I really need to compare if I like the system? I think I would buy this system if I had that kind of money to buy outright (~85-90k INR). So if you have that kind of budget, you should give this system a listen.

Next time I am there, I will also try the less expensive amp (about 22k) instead of this one (42-25k I don't remember exact). Though I doubt I will listen to any other speakers.

Those who are going to steive's place to audition lyrita system should have a good time. Please share your impressions after you guys in B'lore have a hear.

regards

So you've had an intro to the sound of valves & single diver speakers.Good.
Next time around, take a wider range of your favourite, most loved music.

Hi anm,
to really test the bass reproduction of a system = MASSIVE ATTACK, their album MEZZANINE and track TEARDROP.

the whole album is very complex with the bass and when you can hear this album right without wanting to walk away, the reproduction system can be lauded, and compared with the good, if not the best.

regards

Hi anm,
Good to know you enjoyed the session. Do post impressions of other systems you audition as well. Thanks.

Well I think that the Lyrita setup i quite difficult to beat at the price point. I know that the older recordings do not have that kind realism that the newer pressings have. I can further attest to the fact that some of my cassettes sound better than the CDs. Well to really enjoy a system like the Viren's lyrita you need to have good quality recordings.

Well I think that the Lyrita setup i quite difficult to beat at the price point. I know that the older recordings do not have that kind realism that the newer pressings have. I can further attest to the fact that some of my cassettes sound better than the CDs. Well to really enjoy a system like the Viren's lyrita you need to have good quality recordings.
And thats' true of all HiFi gear.
In hifi, as in computers the maxim GIGO holds true.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back