An experience of DENON AVR X2500H update error loop and Indian customer service.

Enkay78

Dear FMs,

I am making a dedicated post about an issue which I faced recently about my AVR X2500H. I had posted about this same issue in the dedicated denon owners thread. (Some fellow members responded in kind)

The issue:
I don't know somehow I received an OTA on 11 December which did not complete on my device...either due to network failure/server failure (I am not sure). But I was confident it was not due to any power failure or me unplugging the device. ( My system is supplied by my UPS system which is 24x7 with big battery back up. It's a 4kw system of backup with battery bank).

My device then went into an UPDATE ERROR LOOP. Initially I was not worried as I thought the update process will restart and complete. So disconnected power, reconnected the wired broadband (bharat fibre 100mbps). And restarted

I was surprised that the issue remains. On my device display it was shown update error. (The images are attached). I did the power down power up for 3 times after which I was convinced something serious was happening. And I became a little worried.

(In 2018 I had used the USB update route. I had downloaded the firmware from firmware.denon.eu using my device serial number. So imagine my surprise anxiety when I came to find our that Sound United had stopped this service and now everything is OTA. I hunted all my HDDs, pendrives, NAS, old labtops... frantically...but alas that file was not found. I had an inkling of doubt that this usb update route could be my last resort....which later on prove to be true, as you will know from my latter part of the story)

The arduous journey of solutions and Indian customer support:

Well then started the various google searches, the re-reading of manuals. And also came across the denon website about a problem with July update error for which one has to do a factory firmware restore. Long story short: nothing worked. All I got from display was upadate error, connect to network, plug out and plug in power again.

Next I emailed denon customer support. I had registered my device, as I said in 2018.....so I logged in my account and raised an issue. I got an automated reply stating all the steps which I had done. So I continued updating them that my issue is not resolved.

In the meantime, I posted in this forum's denon owners thread...hoping if any one could throw light on how to download an USB update firmware. I got some helpful comments.

I, then , started emailing the www.preetiglobal.com and www.profx.com guys. From this forum and from the denon main webpage I came to find out that these guys are responsible for denon in India. Also my original package of the device has a label showing that Preeti Traders were the importer.(mine was a Vietnam made).

Preeti global responded fast and told me to connect the service dept. I was given a phone number. I called up and contacted one Mr Kunal. Through their engineer they diagnosed my problem as "your mainboard is gone. That module needs to be replaced". (They derived these from the images I shared.......inspite of me insisting that it could be just a software problem of incomplete firmware write.) I somehow tried to gently argue that if they could provide me a firmware file I can try the USB update route and if that fails then I will follow their advice of replacing the modules. They flatly denied stating denon has stopped that service and everything is now OTA. I was kept wondering what kind of customer service we Indians are getting. The funny part was Mr Kunal happens to be related with a parashelectronics, Lamington road.(I was left with little confusion why this was so)

I reached out to Profx, Mumbai. And a thread in this forum spoke highly of a Mr Negi of Delhi ProFx. So mailed both the main ProFx and also to Mr Negi in Delhi ProFx ( I thought if at all there comes an issue of courier delhi will be better for me).

The Mumbai ProFx connected me to their Bangalore counterpart and through watsapp I was connected to the Bangalore service dept. The engineer also had a similar diagnosis like the preetiglobal guys. However he said it would be better if I courier the device to them so that they can diagnose the issue. I gently ask for the USB FIRMWARE again...but alas the same response.

Mr Negi of Delhi ProFx responded to me promptly saying that the mainboard and network modules need to be replaced. The cost will come around Rs28000 (twenty eight thousand).

Shortly I also received another email from Mr Kunal stating almost similar things - that I need to replace my mainboard and network modules. Cost again Rs28000.

Seeing both the emails I was little wonderstruck. I mean HOW CAN I CONVINCE MYSELF WITH A RATIONALE THAT MY SOFTWARE ISSUE HAS A HARDWARE SOLUTION WHICH COST 30% OF THE ORIGINAL COST OF THE DEVICE? You can imagine the many varieties of expletives running in my brain at this time. All because of an OTA which maybe denons server fucked up...which almost bricked my device .....and our local guys are giving me no intelligent option other than a commercially profitable option to them.(and they call this customer support. The irony is even lost to me...)

Fortunately for me, I happened to get an email response yet again from Sound United. An engineer gave me a lucid provisional diagnosis ( I had mentioned the "error code of 2A02 & 2B02"). He correctly diagnosed that there is an incomplete or error in the write of the firmware. He suggested that he can send me a download link for the USB FIRMWARE which I can choose as the last resort (the USB update route) failing which I have to contact the Indian service guys. (I want to remind you guys that in my email to Sound United, I had not indicated any contact with the local service centres). He just needed me to send a rear panel photo showing the device serial number.

Now as I mentioned earlier, I was familiar with the USB update route. So I was very happy with this news. So yes, I responded fast with a rear panel photo.

And today I got the firmware download link and instructions. The rest is history.

PS. My denon x2500h is now updated to the latest firmware.

Take home mesage to FM who are owners of denon AVR - rely more on the firangi guys and engineers. Read a lot. Read the manual. Do google searches. I was saved from spending Rs 28k due to the sloppy way of customer support in India.

Think carefully whether you want the update feature. Nowadays Denon have included the update methods from Heos app, Denon AVR remote app.

Disclaimer: I am not belittling the service of the Indian counterparts of Denon. But rather reflecting a little want of improvement from their current offhand stand. I still can feel the way the so called Indian engineer talked.

Attachments

• IMG_20201211_173156~2.jpg
    IMG_20201211_173156~2.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20201211_173246~2.jpg
    IMG_20201211_173246~2.jpg
    662.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20201211_173249~2.jpg
    IMG_20201211_173249~2.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20201211_173259~2.jpg
    IMG_20201211_173259~2.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20201211_173305~2.jpg
    IMG_20201211_173305~2.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for putting this up in detail.
No matter how many pages are filled up, the service mentality of most of the Indian service industry is not changing. Or are they confident that Indians don't have the expertise or patience to get to the end? Even speciality dealers are out for quick and easy bucks(hi-fi is not mass market here). Everything can't be forced through law.
Good that you went till the end but many won't go for various reasons.

Dear FMs,

I am making a dedicated post about an issue which I faced recently about my AVR X2500H. I had posted about this same issue in the dedicated denon owners thread. (Some fellow members responded in kind)

The issue:
I don't know somehow I received an OTA on 11 December which did not complete on my device...either due to network failure/server failure (I am not sure). But I was confident it was not due to any power failure or me unplugging the device. ( My system is supplied by my UPS system which is 24x7 with big battery back up. It's a 4kw system of backup with battery bank).

My device then went into an UPDATE ERROR LOOP. Initially I was not worried as I thought the update process will restart and complete. So disconnected power, reconnected the wired broadband (bharat fibre 100mbps). And restarted

I was surprised that the issue remains. On my device display it was shown update error. (The images are attached). I did the power down power up for 3 times after which I was convinced something serious was happening. And I became a little worried.

(In 2018 I had used the USB update route. I had downloaded the firmware from firmware.denon.eu using my device serial number. So imagine my surprise anxiety when I came to find our that Sound United had stopped this service and now everything is OTA. I hunted all my HDDs, pendrives, NAS, old labtops... frantically...but alas that file was not found. I had an inkling of doubt that this usb update route could be my last resort....which later on prove to be true, as you will know from my latter part of the story)

Well then started the various google searches, the re-reading of manuals. And also came across the denon website about a problem with July update error for which one has to do a factory firmware restore. Long story short: nothing worked. All I got from display was upadate error, connect to network, plug out and plug in power again.

Next I emailed denon customer support. I had registered my device, as I said in 2018.....so I logged in my account and raised an issue. I got an automated reply stating all the steps which I had done. So I continued updating them that my issue is not resolved.

In the meantime, I posted in this forum's denon owners thread...hoping if any one could throw light on how to download an USB update firmware. I got some helpful comments.

I, then , started emailing the www.preetiglobal.com and www.profx.com guys. From this forum and from the denon main webpage I came to find out that these guys are responsible for denon in India. Also my original package of the device has a label showing that Preeti Traders were the importer.(mine was a Vietnam made).

Preeti global responded fast and told me to connect the service dept. I was given a phone number. I called up and contacted one Mr Kunal. Through their engineer they diagnosed my problem as "your mainboard is gone. That module needs to be replaced". (They derived these from the images I shared.......inspite of me insisting that it could be just a software problem of incomplete firmware write.) I somehow tried to gently argue that if they could provide me a firmware file I can try the USB update route and if that fails then I will follow their advice of replacing the modules. They flatly denied stating denon has stopped that service and everything is now OTA. I was kept wondering what kind of customer service we Indians are getting. The funny part was Mr Kunal happens to be related with a parashelectronics, Lamington road.(I was left with little confusion why this was so)

I reached out to Profx, Mumbai. And a thread in this forum spoke highly of a Mr Negi of Delhi ProFx. So mailed both the main ProFx and also to Mr Negi in Delhi ProFx ( I thought if at all there comes an issue of courier delhi will be better for me).

The Mumbai ProFx connected me to their Bangalore counterpart and through watsapp I was connected to the Bangalore service dept. The engineer also had a similar diagnosis like the preetiglobal guys. However he said it would be better if I courier the device to them so that they can diagnose the issue. I gently ask for the USB FIRMWARE again...but alas the same response.

Mr Negi of Delhi ProFx responded to me promptly saying that the mainboard and network modules need to be replaced. The cost will come around Rs28000 (twenty eight thousand).

Shortly I also received another email from Mr Kunal stating almost similar things - that I need to replace my mainboard and network modules. Cost again Rs28000.

Seeing both the emails I was little wonderstruck. I mean HOW CAN I CONVINCE MYSELF WITH A RATIONALE THAT MY SOFTWARE ISSUE HAS A HARDWARE SOLUTION WHICH COST 30% OF THE ORIGINAL COST OF THE DEVICE? You can imagine the many varieties of expletives running in my brain at this time. All because of an OTA which maybe denons server fucked up...which almost bricked my device .....and our local guys are giving me no intelligent option other than a commercially profitable option to them.(and they call this customer support. The irony is even lost to me...)

Fortunately for me, I happened to get an email response yet again from Sound United. An engineer gave me a lucid provisional diagnosis ( I had mentioned the "error code of 2A02 & 2B02"). He correctly diagnosed that there is an incomplete or error in the write of the firmware. He suggested that he can send me a download link for the USB FIRMWARE which I can choose as the last resort (the USB update route) failing which I have to contact the Indian service guys. (I want to remind you guys that in my email to Sound United, I had not indicated any contact with the local service centres). He just needed me to send a rear panel photo showing the device serial number.

Now as I mentioned earlier, I was familiar with the USB update route. So I was very happy with this news. So yes, I responded fast with a rear panel photo.

And today I got the firmware download link and instructions. The rest is history.

Take home mesage to FM who are owners of denon AVR - rely more on the firangi guys and engineers. Read a lot. Read the manual. Do google searches. I was saved from spending Rs 28k due to the sloppy way of customer support in India.

Think carefully whether you want the update feature. Nowadays Denon have included the update methods from Heos app, Denon AVR remote app.

Disclaimer: I am not belittling the service of the Indian counterparts of Denon. But rather reflecting a little want of improvement from their current offhand stand. I still can feel the way the so called Indian engineer talked.
Its same on Yamaha end too and i aint surprised seeing your experience.In India either the companies and their dealers think us as worthless idiots or they think they can cheat anybody and there is nothing anyone can do.

Thanks for putting this up in detail.
No matter how many pages are filled up, the service mentality of most of the Indian service industry is not changing. Or are they confident that Indians don't have the expertise or patience to get to the end? Even speciality dealers are out for quick and easy bucks(hi-fi is not mass market here). Everything can't be forced through law.
Good that you went till the end but many won't go for various reasons.
That was the sad but eery feelings I get. I was really surprised at the 'third grade' way the engineer(s) was talking. They simply has no updated or interested knowledge other than proclaiming a calamitous event of device module failure. And there was a refusal to even have a cognizance of such lack.

And as you summed up 'even dealers are out for quick and easy buck"......I have learnt my lesson of the industry.

Anyway this time I am keeping safe the usb firmware file.
Its same on Yamaha end too and i aint surprised seeing your experience.In India either the companies and their dealers think us as worthless idiots or they think they can cheat anybody and there is nothing anyone can do.
I feel this is not a healthy sign of the industry.

I never thought the 'professionalism' of hi fi in India goes south towards more leeching profits.

But it's a good learning experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear FMs,

The issue:

Glad to know that your ordeal is over. I have little faith in these 'authorized' service providers. They are out to bleed us try / force us to buy again.
That said, I really wonder why these companies are forcing us to go the OTA route. They should and must provide an alternate - such as the usb route to upgrade

The issue here in India is that when you buy the product, the manufacturer makes his money. Post the purchase, you are in the hands of an outsourced service partner - they are now looking for ways to make money. They didn't get anything when you bought it. The easiest way for them is to replace - why waste service engineer time to diagnose and fix, when you can make more money in less time by replacing and charging for both the spare part and labor at inflated prices? There is little incentive for them to repair - if you love the service, then you may buy the same brand again - which makes money only for the manufacturer again.

But I had a different experience with NAD. I bought it from the indian distributor and it seems there was a issue with the the audio card worldwide and at the first instance they wanted to repair the card but I just pointed out how unfair this is (being a brand new unit with 1 or 2 months on it) and escalated the matter and finally the distributor reached out to me for either a complete replacement or a change of the card. I opted for the latter as I would be sure of the newer card going in.

I was guided in the whole process by their delhi sub dealer and main indian distributor.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hope you have sent some stinker mail to the Indian Denon support counterparts.

I think there is no point. Just that you know if its a tech issue, you would reach to the US counterparts but there is a hardware issue, you will still need to reach out to the Indian counterparts.

I did email them regarding update.

Mr Kunal seem to acknowledge this and he is keeping it as a future reference.

Mr Negi seems oblivious to the update..but was happy that my issue was resolved.

But the point of concern was the reply from the Sound United engineer Asian. His english indicates either he may be veitnamese or Japanese. The link he emailed me for the download was from a Japanese website.

I am attaching his email reply to my feedbacks of why Sound United need to support more their Indian counterparts and should develop a proper redressal system. I also mentioned why their Indian counterparts asking Rs 28k for an issue which could be solved by a download is unfair to their Indian customer.

Check the image attached.

I am still at lost why Denon or for that matter Sound United removed the FACILITY of downloadable firmwares from www.firmware.denon.eu.

My first update in 2018 was done through the USB route. Now they have included the routes through Denon Remote app, Heos app. It's little confusing. In HEOS APP they use term Heos update (for heos device).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201217-204810__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20201217-204810__01.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I have to think really really hard before I put my money on these components. These are already priced very high - blamed on import duties, GSTs, etc, and adding to this the pathetic service quality and attitude. When a $699 product is sold at 80k here, it's not a question of 'affordability', but value. Selling Parle Gs for the price of bourbon (I mean, those regular Gs for the price of chocolaty bourbon) - sure, can afford. Is it worth it. No.

Recently, I was talking to an audiophile who made an interesting point. I showed interest in his amplifier that he had put up for sale. It's an amplifier that was retailing at 799 GBP when it came out 13 years ago and retailed at 440 GBP when its successor was released 6 years ago. The asking price for this amp was 70k. When asked what could be the reason for such a price, he said 'Unfortunately, we Indians don't have the luxury of buying these at those prices' (US/UK list price). It then is a matter of personal choice and value perception, than the original value of the product.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm a bit miffed with paying so much and getting too less (not even proper service for a new product from an established brand).

Dear FMs,

The issue:

Thank you very much sir good information

The issue here in India is that when you buy the product, the manufacturer makes his money. Post the purchase, you are in the hands of an outsourced service partner - they are now looking for ways to make money. They didn't get anything when you bought it. The easiest way for them is to replace - why waste service engineer time to diagnose and fix, when you can make more money in less time by replacing and charging for both the spare part and labor at inflated prices? There is little incentive for them to repair - if you love the service, then you may buy the same brand again - which makes money only for the manufacturer again.
Same is true in the case of cars too.

once i was left with this situation and i repaired it myself and u can read the story here

This is one of the reasons I have to think really really hard before I put my money on these components. These are already priced very high - blamed on import duties, GSTs, etc, and adding to this the pathetic service quality and attitude. When a $699 product is sold at 80k here, it's not a question of 'affordability', but value. Selling Parle Gs for the price of bourbon (I mean, those regular Gs for the price of chocolaty bourbon) - sure, can afford. Is it worth it. No.

Recently, I was talking to an audiophile who made an interesting point. I showed interest in his amplifier that he had put up for sale. It's an amplifier that was retailing at 799 GBP when it came out 13 years ago and retailed at 440 GBP when its successor was released 6 years ago. The asking price for this amp was 70k. When asked what could be the reason for such a price, he said 'Unfortunately, we Indians don't have the luxury of buying these at those prices' (US/UK list price). It then is a matter of personal choice and value perception, than the original value of the product.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm a bit miffed with paying so much and getting too less (not even proper service for a new product from an established brand).
Spoke the words from my heart.

I have friends in Singapore......simply envy their service their..... passion with professionalism.(but yes I do agree audiophile itself is full of snake oils)

once i was left with this situation and i repaired it myself and u can read the story here
Wow ...this is at a different level. Quite informative.

Dear FMs,

The issue:

hi I have a denon x2600h, I tried to restore the firmware but getting same issue 2a02 error. please help. how did u hook up to sound united ? and as u mentioned already the firmware site is no longer available. I don't want to pay that huge amount almost 50% of the avr.

by the way my issue is that no Sound. and I can't access the set up assistant menu. some how after filling around I could able to access the menu and hear Sound coming once to one of only connected speaker. I assume it's a software issue as well

Dear FMs,

The issue:

I was in same condition now bro .. I have no clue why my denon failed the update .. no power failure or network issue

can you please provide me email of the person who can provide me the firmware to download ??

Denon seems really pain in A$$ .. while yamaha is offering firmware openly for everyone on their website

Back