An experiment

Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra

Hi friends
I have an experiment with my Philips high q international 932.I connected it with passive speakers but I was not satisfied with the sound. Now I have hooked it with a pair of active speakers and I get rich and warm sound.But I don't connect it as often told by the experts using 5 pin DIN socket.I have cut the base and let the signal remain as it is.Since I am no expert , I want to know whether this connection can harm the speakers or the player? Please help me.I am eager to have your valued suggestion.
Regards.

Using the line output via the 5-pin Din is the orthodox method of wiring the Hi-Q to a external amplifier of any kind (inclusive of the inbuilt amps of passive speakers). However there is no reason preventing you from connecting the Hi-Q's speaker output instead. The Hi-Q has a low power amplifier (around 20 watts). This method though, will come with some potential risks. (1) you'll have to be very careful about the volume control on the Hi-Q, if using the speaker output. Higher volume positions on the Hi-Q can potentially cause damage to the input stages of your active speakers. Also there is a risk with the output transistors of the Hi-Q, blowing if there is a short of sorts. Apparently the tonal influence on the speaker output is giving you something very listenable but please be careful with the Hi-Q's ouput stages. Philips I think used either PT4/PT6 or AD161/AD162 pairs as output transistors back in those days. Replacements for these can be got only from abroad.

Using the line output via the 5-pin Din is the orthodox method of wiring the Hi-Q to a external amplifier of any kind (inclusive of the inbuilt amps of passive speakers). However there is no reason preventing you from connecting the Hi-Q's speaker output instead. The Hi-Q has a low power amplifier (around 20 watts). This method though, will come with some potential risks. (1) you'll have to be very careful about the volume control on the Hi-Q, if using the speaker output. Higher volume positions on the Hi-Q can potentially cause damage to the input stages of your active speakers. Also there is a risk with the output transistors o f the Hi-Q, blowing if there is a short of sorts. Apparently the tonal influence on the speaker output is giving you something very listenable but please be careful with the Hi-Q's ouput stages. Philips I think used either PT4/PT6 or AD161/AD162 pairs as output transistors back in those days. Replacements for these can be got only from abroad.
Hi Reubensm thank you for your suggestions. Now I have some questions regarding this issue. 1) there are two ways at the rear of the unit. One is tune and the other is tape. Which one is to be used?2) Do I need a phono preamp to get it connected with power speakers? 3) If I have the unit connected as per your suggestion, can I use passive speakers as I did earlier? PLEASE answer
Regards

Nope, you do not require a phone preamp as the Hi-Q has a built in one. For those who are familiar with older amplifiers, would be familiar with amplifiers having these:

1) Preamp outputs with a U-connector to the power amp input on the back panel
2) Tape In-Out (in some cases you'd fine Tape Play-Record)
3) Few exceptional amplifiers had a "Line Out"

all these options provide line outputs for driving external amplifying options.

In your case, if I remember correctly, Hi-Q had 2 x 5-pin DIN sockets, one being for Tuner and the other for Tape. The Tuner socket was essentially an input, hence you can connect almost any source to it, like a tuner, cd player, mp3 player, etc. The Tape socket was for wiring in a tape recorder. The tape socket carried 2 pins for tape input (output from a cassette deck) and 2 pins for recording output (to be wired to the input of the cassette deck). These recording output pins are the ones to drive your active speakers. Having said this, for obvious reasons, the signal levels from the tape recording output is significantly less than that of the speaker output. However this is the right way to connect your Hi-Q to any external amplifier.

If you use the tape recording output, you can definitely use the Hi-Qs original passive speakers with it as well. The volume control and tone control of the Hi-Q will have no bearing on the output sourced from the Tape Din socket. Hence in effect your passive and active speakers can all sing together :)

Nope, you do not require a phone preamp as the Hi-Q has a built in one. For those who are familiar with older amplifiers, would be familiar with amplifiers having these:

1) Preamp outputs with a U-connector to the power amp input on the back panel
2) Tape In-Out (in some cases you'd fine Tape Play-Record)
3) Few exceptional amplifiers had a "Line Out"

all these options provide line outputs for driving external amplifying options.

In your case, if I remember correctly, Hi-Q had 2 x 5-pin DIN sockets, one being for Tuner and the other for Tape. The Tuner socket was essentially an input, hence you can connect almost any source to it, like a tuner, cd player, mp3 player, etc. The Tape socket was for wiring in a tape recorder. The tape socket carried 2 pins for tape input (output from a cassette deck) and 2 pins for recording output (to be wired to the input of the cassette deck). These recording output pins are the ones to drive your active speakers. Having said this, for obvious reasons, the signal levels from the tape recording output is significantly less than that of the speaker output. However this is the right way to connect your Hi-Q to any external amplifier.

If you use the tape recording output, you can definitely use the Hi-Qs original passive speakers with it as well. The volume control and tone control of the Hi-Q will have no bearing on the output sourced from the Tape Din socket. Hence in effect your passive and active speakers can all sing together :)
Thanks a lot

An RCA plug will not work with a 5-Pin DIN Connector. Din sockets are not used these days, you'll tend to find these in older equipment, mostly with European designs. A good place to enquire would be with old radio repair shops, they may have these lying around. If you are adventurous, you can try online options (which are usually significantly overpriced)

the plug by itself: http://in.element14.com/neutrik/nys322g/plug-din-gold-5pin/dp/4632515?MER=bn_para_1TP_LastViewed_1

the plastic cover version: https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Conne...532516664&sr=8-8&keywords=din+5+pin+connector

the whole cable: https://www.amazon.in/kenable-Phono...516557&sr=8-1&keywords=5+pin+din+to+rca+cable

if you are ready to wait a couple of months for the cable to arrive: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...7e99-4ede-9556-56af148ab8c0&priceBeautifyAB=0

If you can get the plugs and some shielded wire, you should be able to make a cable for a few 10s.

Alternately, if you have nimble fingers, you can use a thin gauge shielded and push the wire-ends of one side, into the pores of the Din socket :) and use RCAs (or matching plugs) for your active speakers.

Last edited:
Did you manage to get hold of a 5-pin DIN plug? If no, please PM me your address. I managed to locate an old DIN cable which was salvaged from a Lenco L75 turntable. It has 2 shielded pairs, one for each channel. Let's hope the wiring on this cable will match the HI-Q's tape output pins on the DIN socket

Attachments

• IMG_20180726_231709_929.jpg
    IMG_20180726_231709_929.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I found two equally vintage RCA plugs and soldered the leads from the DIN plug to it. As this belonged to a Lenco L75 turntable, the pin config may not match the HI-q. If that happens, you'd need to rewire the DIN plug by opening it up and soldering.

Attachments

• IMG_20180728_012324_661.jpg
    IMG_20180728_012324_661.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 13
Reuben,

This is the spirit of our forum. The erudition has always been catered by the respected members. Even I have come a long way by the guidance from my learned colleagues.

Sourav

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back