An informative read on head phone glossary and what it means

Thanks to @questzen for the excellent links,as I am getting my new Sennheiser HD 598 on Monday and would help me a lot to understand the engineering part some what better.on a lighter side,I probably need to revisit the basics of physics so as to get the understanding complete.

Really enjoy NwAvGuy's writing and philosophy, but his objectivism might not be flavour of the day with some members. Other members have his kit, eg his ODAC.

You may find him slagged off by some on the net, as his objective assessment of some equipment and design philosophies seems to have caused a few people to feel seriously threatened, and to behave accordingly. All that is best ignored.

As an engineer, he demands that stuff should measure superbly well --- both by instrument and by ear. As a result, he seems to have designed an extremely good DAC (especially considering its price) and headphone amplifier. I don't have the budget for higher-priced kit anyway, and am hoping to try his DAC/headphone-amp combination sometime soon

@umesh, The fact I liked about his writing is the way he summarizes the details. Basically, he explains why it is good to go for a high impedance headset (relative to the amp) and why it is important to have a high voltage output at the amplifier end. His car analogies for gain and volume are quite apt.

@Thad, I concur with your assessment. Probably I should have posted the critique as well. However, the negative remarks were not objectively justified by the critics. Thanks for your inputs, probably you can post a better analysis than me :clapping:

probably you can post a better analysis than me
As a couple of people who just read some of his stuff, we are equal on that, and my powers of analysis are aging rapidly :lol:. You can find some of his buyers here: they are the ones to ask. Audiodoc comes to mind, as someone who has posted recently.

When I say buyers, of course... nobody buys off NwAvGuy, because he doesn't sell anything. Not even the designs. He makes no money out of this stuff at all, not even to cover his expenses, which must be quite a lot. I'd find it hard to like that :eek:!

Oh well... I suppose some people just have expensive hobbies. Like hifi!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back