An update & an upgrade

congrats dinyaar, i haevn't the first clue about the pedigree of accuphase or your specific model, but from the way everyone's talking about it it sounds like something truly fantastic, and I wish you years of enjoyment with it.

And Happy Deepavali to everyone, although I personally am the scrooge of Deepavali and I lock myself at home with some music so I don't have to tolerate all the noise.

congrats dinayar the blessed one.:yahoo:

Have a great diwali with your new amp. I am sure the satmag exhibition organised by you would have attracted many customers. Since you were preoccupied, I could not drop in for an audition. I hope I should make it on my next trip to mumbai.

have a great day

regards

Prem the cdp was always on the radar but the DP 500 is the one i want and @ over 5L i'll wait!!! The Dac may be an option to try. The 700 is in a different class, sadly so is the price and all i got was a 7 min audition in sgpore till the guy realised i wasn't a genuine buyer!! The yamaha does Ok when using the XLRs and i have compared to almost every cdp i can lay my hands on.
i am sure a good CDP will take your setup to the next level..accuphase are expensive and have a premium(they are a class apart in amps though)..maybe you might get a better deal with something like a Cary or resolution audio ?

Hi,

Thanks SG. Come hear it when u come to bbay.
Well i celebrate anything really. Diwali too. In fact i am the 'uncle' who has to even light the damn bombs in my housing complex for the kids!!! The little diyas look lovely and i dont have a problem with the noise.

You are most welcome my friend :)! Man Am dying to visit mumbai sometime to meet some folks including you and spend some time :p!

If only I get sponsored to help or visit a buddy in mumbai like I have been here to Delhi :lol: then I'd simply fly that instance !!

Rikhav are you reading this ;)??

Am very glad that you celebrate and enjoy all the fest !! Hmm Uncle lighting Bombs thats something !!
Regards.

i am sure a good CDP will take your setup to the next level..accuphase are expensive and have a premium(they are a class apart in amps though)..maybe you might get a better deal with something like a Cary or resolution audio ?

I second the Resolution audio. The opus-21.
Get it modified by GNSC.
Welcome to Great Northern Sound Company
I have heard the reference level modded one. It is a Giant killer ;)

I truly thank each one of u for the good wishes.

Asit well you are right on the B&W part. I do like my speaker and accept its limitations as a BS. Yes the contour was the only non B&W in the last 5/6 years. Phew amps i have tried all u mentioned and a few more!!!! Naturally i would be only too glad to meet u Asit. Please PM me when u are arriving.

Psycho its just a simple amplifier albiet a good one. Regarding the diwali noise well i have accepted much worse that is dished out so this does not bother.

Buswal, WHAT SATMAG EXHIBITION? What customers ? Am sorry i dont follow. And why am I the blessed one? Because i have a decent sound system? In fact i consider myself cursed as i lost both parents as a kid and lost out and continue to lose out on what most of u guys take for granted. These material things come and go and frankly they lose sheen too soon. Am not being melodramatic this is truly what i feel.

Arj & SW, well yes a great cdp will improve things for sure. Problem is getting one that i truly like in every way in the budget of say 1 to 1.5L. I truly cannot spend 5L on the Accu as however great it may be i still feel its too expensive for what it does. I want to try the cary for sure.

Srikarkav, yes u are welcome to hear the combo at my home. Actually Sri the brand is best known for their Class A power amps which are considered to be one of the finest while the class A/B integrateds i.e 250,350,450 are considered good. I had the 350 and now have swapped to the 450 which is similar but more power and that power brings more control, better dynamics and a smoother presentation. Its basically Japanese high end amplification and one that i have admired since as far as i can recall.
Rgds

Last edited:
Hi Dinyar,

Congrats! Though i dont know any thing about the amp u have got it seems to be the envy of many here. Wishing you happy musical hours!

I want to visit Bangalore i want to have a look at the DIY wonders of soundsgreat and when i visit Mumbai i want to visit you to have a true audiophile stereo experience and visit vinay too to have a look at his beautiful mini theatre. That is if you guys can have me:D

Happay Deepavali to one and all!

cheers,
sri

I am extremely sorry to know that your parents passed away when you were young. I agree with you in respect of material things, which will lose its charm one day. I said you are blessed just to share my happiness in a positive sense that a member of this forum purchased an integrated amplifier, which, is well known in the audio circle.

If you recollect I spoke to you on 4.10.09 when I was in Mumbai and you said you were preoccupied due to cable or satellite exhibition being organized at Mumbai. I just added a line in that regard enquiring about the outcome of the said event.

regards

I am extremely sorry to know that your parents passed away when you were young. I agree with you in respect of material things, which will lose its charm one day. I said you are blessed just to share my happiness in a positive sense that a member of this forum purchased an integrated amplifier, which, is well known in the audio circle.

If you recollect I spoke to you on 4.10.09 when I was in Mumbai and you said you were preoccupied due to cable or satellite exhibition being organized at Mumbai. I just added a line in that regard enquiring about the outcome of the said event.

regards

Buswal i am not offended in the least. I take it that u were genuinely sharing your happiness.
Now as regards speaking to me well thats really confusing me. I just dont remember speaking to anyone apart from the few that i interact with (from HFV i.e) and i am NEVER busy with any exhibition as i rarely ever attend any, let alone host one or be part of hosting one.
Could it be u are mixing me with someone else u spoke too?
Anyway thanks its a lovely amp and yes am happy (materially :))to own it.
Rgds

hi dinyar,

I am sorry dinyar I got confused I spoke to ampnut on 4.10.09 and not with you. Age is catching up:sad:My fading memory has troubled you by giving wrong leads. My apologies.

Ok, now I got a friend at Mumbai by name dinyar and on my next trip I will drop in for an audition if it is ok with you dude.

regards

HAHAHA Buswal U had me worried for a moment truly!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a stock broker and receive and make too many calls in a day but have the memory of an elephant!!!! So when u said u spoke to me and mentioned a date, i was totally stumped. I just could not recall!!! Phew its solved now and my memory is intact!
This Memory thing is scary as a very close friend of mine and my batchmate from school took some ayurvedic pills for a while for all kind of silly ailments and had severe memory loss.
Yes u do have a new freind in bbay by the name dinyaar and he is an ampnut too and yes u are free to visit the next time u are in bbay.
Rgds

Hi Dinyaar,

Thanks dude, on my next trip to mumbai I will drop in positively after fixing a sked subject to your convenience.

regards

I truly cannot spend 5L on the Accu as however great it may be i still feel its too expensive for what it does. I want to try the cary for sure.
Agreed completely on the Accuphase CDPs although sometimes a used one does pop up in singapore.
Isnt there a Cary dealer in india ? I thought I read that there was one.

But Upgrades Apart, hope you are enjoying the music more now ? I tried some tube rolling with my Leben and some visiting audiophile friends played around with my setup bit and am enjoying the results..one of the better "upgrades " in sound. Sometimes in the critical way we look at components we forget the better upgrades are possible via just placement changes !:rolleyes:

I think the dealer is from Bangalore and is a member of our forum as well.
His id on the forum is "caryaudiodesign" or something on the lines of that

Agreed completely on the Accuphase CDPs although sometimes a used one does pop up in singapore.
Isnt there a Cary dealer in india ? I thought I read that there was one.

But Upgrades Apart, hope you are enjoying the music more now ? I tried some tube rolling with my Leben and some visiting audiophile friends played around with my setup bit and am enjoying the results..one of the better "upgrades " in sound. Sometimes in the critical way we look at components we forget the better upgrades are possible via just placement changes !:rolleyes:

Hi arj,
Will explore a few options for a 'sensibly' priced cdp.

Actually i always enjoy the music. I am always buying all kinds of music and recently am flooded with spanish artists and some are wonderful.
My apartment is tiny (1 BHK) so have exhausted all placement options. Actually since i sold the Rotel amp i am happy. Those months when i had that amp were sad as i barely heard much.
Regarding the many audiophile friends, well i just tell them to sit back and listen and lay off. Some of my friends are master tweakers!!!! and sometimes i feel that they tweak for the sake of tweaking. Try this , explore that and it is just never ending. Tube rolling is great as u get different flavours.
Want to make the most of this 4 day break and recharge the batteries!!!!!
Rgds

Dear Dinyaar, My hearty congratulations on your new upgrade!

So you finally gave into temptation, again! I didn't see the post earlier - not been frequent here these days. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to hear the E450 but I'm sure about your choice. It cant be wrong! Someday hopefully we could meet and enjoy your setup. That is, if you manage to hold on to this set up for a reasonable amount of time :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Dear Dinyaar, My hearty congratulations on your new upgrade!

So you finally gave into temptation, again! I didn't see the post earlier - not been frequent here these days. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to hear the E450 but I'm sure about your choice. It cant be wrong! Someday hopefully we could meet and enjoy your setup. That is, if you manage to hold on to this set up for a reasonable amount of time :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Definately unleash would love to catch up.
I WILL KEEP THIS AMP. Reason I say that is my wife flipped when I told her 'Kiss the 350 g'bye'!!!!! She uses the set up almost as much as I do and for some strange reason she liked the 350. Took a while to convince her that the 450 is all that the 350 is and some more. Incidently she was never happy with any of the pre/powers and has only liked 2 amps that we have owned. Our first Harman Integrated maybe sometime in the 90s and this accuphase.

I played the 450 all of today and it is fantastic. It is definately very different from the 350. The amp treats my speakers like a toy and the bass is fantastic. Trebles are smoother too the speaker seems more substancial than it has ever sounded in the couple of years I have had it.

I can sum up by saying the 350 was superb and with speakers a bit easier than mine would be a cracker of an amp. The 450 to me is worth the extra 1500 USD.
Rgds

Hi Guys,
Have been away from the forum for a while as I was shifting apartments. My old home is being extensively renovated and am hence living temporarily in a relative's empty apartment.

Have set up my system in a dedicated room which is 16 ft X 18 ft. My problems (at my own apt) have always been my 'room' and there is only so much one can do when space is a problem. If all goes as per plan then my music room should be about 14 X 13 which is the largest I can go.

Fortunately I have an understanding wife who did not hit the roof when I made our bedroom smaller to increase the music area.

Sorry to bore but the points I am making is as follows:

1)Room is extremely important. Can make or break the way the set up sounds. I have now positioned my speakers about 3 ft away from the rear walls and about 4 ft away from side walls. Speakers are seperated 7 ft and listening position (sofa) is about 12 ft away. Sound is superb. If i pull the speakers furthur away from the rear the bass sound timid. Close to the rear wall there is boominess (duh what did I expect)

I know most of us struggle with the basics i.e the room but at least in my case I kept trying to improve things by doing the very audiophile things of upgrading cables et cetc

This has been the single most effective upgrade and IMO the set up sounds wonderful. The set up has been tuned ONLY by the ear as to me thats the most important. By all means keep the basic set up parameters in mind but play around with positioning as each room is different as one can only find out by trying it for yourself.

Hopefully I will get it to sound almost as good when I move back to my own home in about 4/6 months time.

Rgds

Last edited:
Hi Dinyaar,

Wonderful to see you back. How long would it take to finish the renovation and then the moving-back operation. I know all about moving - have done 3 inter-continental moving and in India already once and late this year or early next year we shall move again to a new place that is currently under construction.

How is the 450 doing. Have you decided or bought the new CDP that you were contemplating.

BTW, next month, probably 9th to 14th I may be in Bbay. Since you said 'imaginary sweets won't do' (You definitely must remember the context because you have the memory of an elephant :) ), this is your big opportunity to get the real sweets from Kolkata if you can meet me in Bbay. I'll be staying in TIFR (Sothern tip of Colaba) and probably also for a day with my nephew in Juhu.

Regards.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back