Android Box with USB DAC Support

reachkalyan.kr

Hi,
May be it is outdated discussion but i am not able to find out in HFV.

"Anybody own Android Box with USB DAC support .
Which model android Box and DAC ?
How about the performance ?
I know hdmi can be used for Audio .But Iam looking for one which can support USB DAC 100% .
Basically looking for playing FLAC and WAV content from NAS"

Hi,

I know hdmi can be used for Audio .But Iam looking for one which can support USB DAC 100% .

Hope you want to attach an USB-DAC to Android TV box.. If so, most of the ATB have support for USB-OTG..You can connect the USB-DAC to it and take the connection..

Hope you want to attach an USB-DAC to Android TV box.. If so, most of the ATB have support for USB-OTG..You can connect the USB-DAC to it and take the connection..
Thanks. I do remember there is an option to switch usb audio in settings.But I read lot of information saying that DAC is not responding/Failed during this process.So I don't want to take risk in that case. Hence the query with model name which successfully running in our hfv forum success cases.Moreover Iam looking for max possibilities of Good quality Audio

Why you want to go with the noisy usb interface?
Take android TV box with Coax/Spdif out and connect with your DAC, for flac and Wav that should be more than Enough..
Avoid USB ports for audio if possible.
(correct me if I am missing something)

Thanks. I do remember there is an option to switch usb audio in settings.But I read lot of information saying that DAC is not responding/Failed during this process.So I don't want to take risk in that case. Hence the query with model name which successfully running in our hfv forum success cases.Moreover Iam looking for max possibilities of Good quality Audio

Ok..I had tried the USB-OTG function on ATB, but that was only for brief time..

If USB audio quality is a concern, then as @drkrack suggested, use co-axial or optical out..

My brother uses Xiaomi Mi box 3, it can do digital output via mini Toslink adaptor and I have used it that way without any issues..

Ok..I had tried the USB-OTG function on ATB, but that was only for brief time..

If USB audio quality is a concern, then as @drkrack suggested, use co-axial or optical out..

My brother uses Xiaomi Mi box 3, it can do digital output via mini Toslink adaptor and I have used it that way without any issues..
Earlier I used mibox s with DAC connected thru optical output(Plex) but it gave abnormal noise for few audio songs(FLAC /wav I don't remember) .I believe it is not capable of delivering the proper output thru optical ( for certain sampling freq).

I use mi box connected to my dac by usb. Earlier i used to connect using optical out. But i found usb clearly better and less noisy. Even youtube is better by usb. I think it depends on dac a alot.
That's great news let me try that.Which model is that DAC and mi box (version).

Why you want to go with the noisy usb interface?
Take android TV box with Coax/Spdif out and connect with your DAC, for flac and Wav that should be more than Enough..
Avoid USB ports for audio if possible.
(correct me if I am missing something)
Few Audio files giving abnormal noise high Pitch sharp buzzing noise.But Iam very much sure that is not the problem with the file or ATB.
I am assuming it is sampling frequency range issue something caused by app (Plex & bubble upnp) or hardware itself.
Let me try with other android boxes which is lying around.

Earlier I used mibox s with DAC connected thru optical output(Plex) but it gave abnormal noise for few audio songs(FLAC /wav I don't remember) .I believe it is not capable of delivering the proper output thru optical ( for certain sampling freq).

Oh k.. I had connected it thru optical to on old AVR and used to play movies thru Kodi.. Didn't notice any issues.. I hadn't used plex..

Few Audio files giving abnormal noise high Pitch sharp buzzing noise.But Iam very much sure that is not the problem with the file or ATB.
I am assuming it is sampling frequency range issue something caused by app (Plex & bubble upnp) or hardware itself.

When i was using optical out i never noticed buzzing but sound was grainy. Never noticed until i connected using usb which was more smooth with little or no grain. I also use a chinese lps with mi box which even makes it more smoother than stock power supply.

That sounds more like a file issue or decoding software issue ; or hardware not getting adequately powered etc.
I got lot of digital glare with USB interface, it was unbearably harsh with Ess Chipsets.

I may be going OT, if so please forgive me and ignore me. But I wanted to ask can we use android box for upnp/dlna? (haven't used an android box ever) I have been using volumio on rpi3 with khadas Tone board. But now I have become fed up with it as there are too many frequent bugs with volumio. So looking for alternatives for streaming.

IMO optical is limited to 96khz 24bit and coaxial is limited upto 192khz 24bit.

USB whereas can support 32bit and depending on the DAC upto 768 khz

I2S is considered more better.

Also optical and coaxial does not carry ground.

I suppose the SQ will depend a hell lot depending on the DAC and the type of flagship chips on it.....and the source recording

Last edited:
Hi,

I have HiMedia Q10 Pro Android TV Box connected with TEAC UD501 DAC using USB Cable.... you need to use USB Audio Player PRO software to bypass Android Audio layer... Works fantastic...

You can go for a Allo Boss 2.1 + Raspberry Pi combo and install Volumio and other Audio Streamer platform. you can easily play FLAC, WAV and even DSD from your NAS like I do.

Hi,
This may be a little late for OP, but could help others:
Xiaomi Mi Box S Android 9 into Topping D70 DAC
Optical out = 48 kHz
USB out = 96 kHz

Did you connect any monitor or display with the tv box to use the combo or controlling it via mobile devices completely? I have a Mi 4k tv box and khadas tone board lying around at home..want to connect them to denon pma600ne(which will function as power amp only) .. I don't want to connect any display to this combination. Looking for advices.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back