Android TV box - Owners thread

@elangoas, Can you confirm if your android box passes through lossless audio formats to the receiver out of the box? If not then installing Kodi will enable this functionality?

Yes.. It is able to passthrough (Atmos / Dts X) thru Kodi application from BR Rips.. Most Android TV box come with Kodi pre-installed.. (or) you download one from playstore..

I actually have an Amazon Fire TV Stick 2 which I want to use with my projector to stream movies. I am wondering if this stick can somehow be configured to pass through lossless audio formats from a hard disk? Is there any adapter which will allow an external HDD to be connected to the Fire TV Stick?

Think the Fire stick TV has only HDMI & a Micro USB port to power it up.. If there was atleast one USB port, then you can connect a USB hub and then connect other devices..

If this is not possible then I would have to go for a cheap android box which can pass through Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA from a HDD. Not looking at spending too much on a Shield.

Getting nvidia shield just to passthrough audio is an overkill.. Any ATB for <5K should be able to do it straight forward..

Any confirmed box out there which can do this within 5k?

Think the X96 Mini with decent hardware for 3.2K INR can do it.. Please check youtube videos of the product to get rough impressions..

Terrarium-TV-for-Android-apk.jpg

Anyone here Terrarium TV app on Android TV box ?.. This application is not aval on play store, but aval as apk download on popular site..

There are loads of recent movies in HD/FHD quality for free.. The audio output is mostly 2.0.. With my 8 Mbps BSNL connection & limited download, i can't stream much..

How has your experience been ?..

@elangoas :

Does your box have HDMI ARC?
Actually, I am looking for a box with 3 must have features:
1. HDMI ARC
2. Netflix
3. Amazon Prime

Thanks!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

None of the Chinese boxes will support Netflix in 4k or 1080p resolution. There are a few workarounds or patched apks but those stop working when the app is updated.

Your best bet would be the Amazon firestick i think.

@elangoas :

Does your box have HDMI ARC?
Actually, I am looking for a box with 3 must have features:
1. HDMI ARC
2. Netflix
3. Amazon Prime

Thanks!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Usually it is the TV that has HDMI-ARC functionality, to return the audio to AVR.. Android TV box doesn't have this functionality.. Just HDMI output..

I never use any paid streaming apps (Netflix (or) Prime) to watch movies.. So no idea on its usage on Android TV box.. For video it should do its functionality, but multi-channel out on these is something i have never tried..Worst case, it should give 2.0 audio out..

Usually it is the TV that has HDMI-ARC functionality, to return the audio to AVR.. Android TV box doesn't have this functionality.. Just HDMI output..

I never use any paid streaming apps (Netflix (or) Prime) to watch movies.. So no idea on its usage on Android TV box.. For video it should do its functionality, but multi-channel out on these is something i have never tried..Worst case, it should give 2.0 audio out..
Prime support 5.1 audio output.

Terrarium-TV-for-Android-apk.jpg

Anyone here Terrarium TV app on Android TV box ?.. This application is not aval on play store, but aval as apk download on popular site..

There are loads of recent movies in HD/FHD quality for free.. The audio output is mostly 2.0.. With my 8 Mbps BSNL connection & limited download, i can't stream much..

How has your experience been ?..
It terrific and it does have 5.1 channel movies but they are at least 3 to 8 Gb, You need to get premium at real-debrid to get fast links.

It terrific and it does have 5.1 channel movies but they are at least 3 to 8 Gb, You need to get premium at real-debrid to get fast links.

Great.. Were you able to get 5.1 audio? If so, please share the application settings to get multi-channel out..

I am also in the process of purchasing Android TV box for self. Had auditioned Apple 4KTV and same non branded Android TV box. Waiting for ROKU audition if possible. I have shortlisted H96 max and H96 Pro plus due to very good specifications and review . Mean while I have installed Kodi Krypton 17.6 on my laptop and access video addons . Android TV box give more flexibility than laptop. Watching subscribed channels like Netflix, not sure about Amazon prime and other video addons, music addons and games give us vast options of entertainment. Reliability of Android TV box and video addons are the major concerns. Most of the video addons stream movies in 2 channels audio and very few 5.1 channels movies are available for free or require subscription of certain download access sites like Real debris, openload etc. Youtube, Music streaming are the real benefit of media streaming boxes. VPN , Real debris, settings are little confusing but practice can make you master. Copyrights protection, Data safeguard, malware, viras etc are also factors to be consider. Now I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi on laptop and which is connected to AVR still do I need Android TV box .

You can use all the above (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Kodi 17.6) on your Fire TV Stick. I have 2 Fire TV Sticks use all the mentioned apps and Kodi and have never had any problems.

Nothing really beats the NVidia Shield in terms of size and performance and updates.

Had someone get it from me form US at $170 so the price was really good. I was looking for a good android box ever since I got rid of Tata Sky.

Now with Kodi, Hotstar, Sony Liv, Amazon and Netflix I am all set. Though one thing to keep in mind, even with a premium subscription the Sony Liv app got from the android TV Google Play store wont show World Cup. (The apps available on both stores are different).

So i Just downloaded the latest mobile apk and installed it and it works just fine.

I have a lot of boxes and 2 overkill PCs. The List goes like this. Oldest to newest
1. Asus oplay air
2. WD TV live
3. Zidoo X9s 4k 60fps
4. Pioneer BDP 450 Blu-ray player
5. Panasonic 50GT50 plasma inbuilt player
6. Minix 4k 30fps
7. Qmedia Q10 pro
8. Amazon fire TV stick
9. VU 65 inch 4k led inbuilt player
10. DIY Desktop 8600k onboard graphics
11. DIY Desktop 7700k GTX1080

None of the solutions is refined enough for a home theater all in one USE and except for the last large DIY PC none can play everything you throw at it. Especially 4K HDR stuff.

For 4k HDR I love the inbuilt player in the VU the most. Zidoo can do 4k over wifi while qmedia plays more formats however wifi is weaker. Dedicated Ethernet is preferred.

None play Netflix in full Rez except the VU TV.

Amazon fire TV stick is the best for non geeks.

Blu-ray player gives the best 1080p video and audio quality. Plays SACD and DVD audios too.

All can pass through Dolby and DTS except that Asus and wd dont support the newer formats.

Planning to buy the next nvidia shield.

I have a lot of boxes and 2 overkill PCs. The List goes like this. Oldest to newest
1. Asus oplay air
2. WD TV live
3. Zidoo X9s 4k 60fps
4. Pioneer BDP 450 Blu-ray player
5. Panasonic 50GT50 plasma inbuilt player
6. Minix 4k 30fps
7. Qmedia Q10 pro
8. Amazon fire TV stick
9. VU 65 inch 4k led inbuilt player
10. DIY Desktop 8600k onboard graphics
11. DIY Desktop 7700k GTX1080

None of the solutions is refined enough for a home theater all in one USE and except for the last large DIY PC none can play everything you throw at it. Especially 4K HDR stuff.

For 4k HDR I love the inbuilt player in the VU the most. Zidoo can do 4k over wifi while qmedia plays more formats however wifi is weaker. Dedicated Ethernet is preferred.

None play Netflix in full Rez except the VU TV.

Amazon fire TV stick is the best for non geeks.

Blu-ray player gives the best 1080p video and audio quality. Plays SACD and DVD audios too.

All can pass through Dolby and DTS except that Asus and wd dont support the newer formats.

Planning to buy the next nvidia shield.

You should try Nvidia Shield, you will not be disappointed, no cheap chinese box can compete it in terms of usability and ease of use straight out of the box.

I did come across one link from xdadevelopers for porting Lineage OS on Android TV Box.. https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...gic/rom-x96-2-16gb-root-supersu-twrp-t3596525.. This link says that it should work for most Android TV boxes with Amlogic processor.. My Z69 ATB has Amlogic S905x processor, am yet to check on the same..

Has anyone tried porting Lineage OS on Android TV boxes / Nvidia shield here?.. If successful, please share inputs..

I have tried X96 Mini, it played 1080p movies with 5.1 audio(Dolby and DTS) but when it comes to atmos, dts:x movies, it could not process the audio, after 5-10 mins of movie playback the CPU usage becomes 100 % and the audio is on and off, memory usage is normal and no problem with video. I am not sure whether its problem with that perticular box or atmos requires more cpus. I have returned x96 mini to the seller and brought x92(which is octa core, 3gb, Mali-T820MP3 GPU ) now I am not facing the audio issues.

Dear FM please suggest me a wifi enabled android TV box with 3GB/32GB storage and can have support for Netflix,Prime video,Hotstar , Google play store etc.Also suggest joystick which can be wirelessly connected to play games. Budget is 5k.

Dear FM please suggest me a wifi enabled android TV box with 3GB/32GB storage and can have support for Netflix,Prime video,Hotstar , Google play store etc.Also suggest joystick which can be wirelessly connected to play games. Budget is 5k.
Add bitstreaming local video content to avr, so which android box to choose? Please suggest..

Pickup up couple of Mi Box 4K, recently launched by Xiaomi for Rs 3,500 from a local store..

7LTfF3l.jpg

FDEL3TE.jpg

Until sometime back, Mi box S and 3 were sold on amazon.in for 7K.. But this is directly handled by Xiaomi and the price is half of it.. Anyways, happy to have picked up couple of them.

One of them added to the bedroom projector (LG PF1500W) and the other one for my mom with a 42 inch Plasma TV..

Wish Xiaomi also launches game pad either bundled or as a standalone offering.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back