Anode Acoustics N1 Headphone Amplifier - An epitome of Made in India electronics.

somdas823

Selection Process – I have been using the Anode Acoustics #4 solid state headphone amplifier for some time and thoroughly loved the ultra-linear reproduction. During this time, Nitin and I used to have long discussions regarding headphone audiophonics and we loved sharing our experiences and knowledge with each other. That’s when I learnt the characteristics & caliber of Tube headphone amplifiers and my interest grew for the #1 (also called N1). I decided that I will have to experience this unit on my setup one day. Finally, after a lot of deliberation and a few more months I placed the order for #1. Its important to note that throughout my communication with Nitin, he never proposed/directed me to buy the #1. The discussions were all based on the love for music. The amp was built in the next couple of weeks and delivery took a couple of days more.

Aesthetics – It is indeed a subjective topic hence sharing the reference snaps. When we spoke the #1 used to come with an aluminum base plate, however Nitin informed that he was designing a new model with laser cut powder coated steel base plate. He asked if I was interested to try the new design, thus mine was the very first unit of the currently available version. In my opinion it looks amazing with textured black top and CP teak plinth. The unit is built like a gorgeous tank weighing ~9 kgs.

Test Period – 7+ months

Skipping any technical specs as a detailed information is available on the Anode Acoustics product page.

Musicality – The very first time I hooked up my HD650 to the AA #1 I was literally blown away. Have never experienced anything like that on my HD650s, though I have tried various amplifiers over the years (including ones 2-2.5x the price). I couldn’t imagine the HD650 can sound so musically accurate to that level. Yes, I have tried the HDV 820 and it’s a different game altogether. Being a solid-state amp, it is not comparable to any Tube amps. As we know tubes add certain level of good distortion, #1 does it to an ultimate level. Some of my friends got their favorite headgears and each one had the same awe on their face after auditioning the very first time. Over the past 6 months headphones of various make and model and IEMs including Z1R have been tested on this unit and each time the #1 made me proud. The design is so well executed that over a period of time you might feel that the unit has an IQ of its own and knows which notes to emphasize precisely for your liking. The massive power capability ensures a deep and expanded sound stage without being overtly critical. The #1 amp is a king with a forgiving heart. Better audio quality input along with better DACs & interconnects will definitely elevate the experience exponentially, however average recordings and electronics can also get masked to quite an extent. The triode/pentode mode selection option also increases the dynamic range and usability depending on the genre of the music.

Final thoughts – From my illustration above, my love for the #1 is quite evident. Even after 6 months it doesn’t fail in taking me to oblivion. I have not yet found another headphone amplifier even close to this at this price point and do not expect to find one soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0893_1.jpg
    IMG_0893_1.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0898_1.jpg
    IMG_0898_1.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0899_1.jpg
    IMG_0899_1.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Selection Process – I have been using the Anode Acoustics #4 solid state headphone amplifier for some time and thoroughly loved the ultra-linear reproduction. During this time, Nitin and I used to have long discussions regarding headphone audiophonics and we loved sharing our experiences and knowledge with each other. That’s when I learnt the characteristics & caliber of Tube headphone amplifiers and my interest grew for the #1 (also called N1). I decided that I will have to experience this unit on my setup one day. Finally, after a lot of deliberation and a few more months I placed the order for #1. Its important to note that throughout my communication with Nitin, he never proposed/directed me to buy the #1. The discussions were all based on the love for music. The amp was built in the next couple of weeks and delivery took a couple of days more.

Aesthetics – It is indeed a subjective topic hence sharing the reference snaps. When we spoke the #1 used to come with an aluminum base plate, however Nitin informed that he was designing a new model with laser cut powder coated steel base plate. He asked if I was interested to try the new design, thus mine was the very first unit of the currently available version. In my opinion it looks amazing with textured black top and CP teak plinth. The unit is built like a gorgeous tank weighing ~9 kgs.

Test Period – 7+ months

Skipping any technical specs as a detailed information is available on the Anode Acoustics product page.

Musicality – The very first time I hooked up my HD650 to the AA #1 I was literally blown away. Have never experienced anything like that on my HD650s, though I have tried various amplifiers over the years (including ones 2-2.5x the price). I couldn’t imagine the HD650 can sound so musically accurate to that level. Yes, I have tried the HDV 820 and it’s a different game altogether. Being a solid-state amp, it is not comparable to any Tube amps. As we know tubes add certain level of good distortion, #1 does it to an ultimate level. Some of my friends got their favorite headgears and each one had the same awe on their face after auditioning the very first time. Over the past 6 months headphones of various make and model and IEMs including Z1R have been tested on this unit and each time the #1 made me proud. The design is so well executed that over a period of time you might feel that the unit has an IQ of its own and knows which notes to emphasize precisely for your liking. The massive power capability ensures a deep and expanded sound stage without being overtly critical. The #1 amp is a king with a forgiving heart. Better audio quality input along with better DACs & interconnects will definitely elevate the experience exponentially, however average recordings and electronics can also get masked to quite an extent. The triode/pentode mode selection option also increases the dynamic range and usability depending on the genre of the music.

Final thoughts – From my illustration above, my love for the #1 is quite evident. Even after 6 months it doesn’t fail in taking me to oblivion. I have not yet found another headphone amplifier even close to this at this price point and do not expect to find one soon.
Nicely written, I could relate. It brings the HD600 to new heights too. God i loved that headphone. The vintage one with the old drivers.

Nicely written, I could relate. It brings the HD600 to new heights too. God i loved that headphone. The vintage one with the old drivers.
Loved ?????…..get one if you can still 😃. The 580,600,650 are special. So many headphone junkies still using them….

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back