Another DLP vs LCD confusion (HD33 vs TW6x00)

determinus

The reason
========
I have been a lurker in the forum for sometime. I have been thinking of starting a new thread for advice. Been impressed with the projector experience, but decided to wait for techology to mature and prices to come to reasonable levels before buying. Full HD 3D at 1 lac is more or less that tipping point for me.

I dont care too much about 3D, and dont think the technology or material is matured in that aspect. But with 2 toddlers growing up, I just feel it is future proof. And the cost difference isnt much (~20k).

The Room
========
I am planning to convert the lounge extension of my bedroom to a dedicated theatre room. 15' x 14' with lens mounting at 7'. So projection will be from about 13.5' (15' minus the depth of projector). It gives me a 16:9 picture which is ~140" across. A 10x6 screen seems fit. Closest viewing distance will be 11'. I intend to use it only at night, and exclusively for movies. No soundproofing, just some blinds to close the windows.

The budget
========
I have set my budget at 1.2L, I would like to stay around 1 lac for the projector. I can get it from the US, but want to have warranty hence buying locally.

The confusion
==========
The potential candidates are Epson TW6000 (1L?) in LCD and Optoma HD33 (1.25L?) in DLP. I am not sure of the current prices, but found these on various threads. They are very similar in specs, but for frame interpolation in the Optoma model which many reviewers have said is a hit or miss. On other factors - bulb replacement in Epson seems 50% cheaper; so is their customer support in India.

Actually my real confusion is about performance of DLP and LCD. Since my use is not in ambient light, brightness is not a big factor. Will it be that important for 3D? LCD seems too saturated in the sample images I have seen:

(a) There is a A-B test done with DLP and LCD, with DLP winning on clarity hands down (DLP vs LCD guess who wins :) - YouTube).

(b) There is this side by side comparison on HD33 and 6000 where it appears - to my untrained naked eyes - the DLP has smoother gradients compared to the stark contrast of the LCD (Comparativa Optoma HD33 vs Epson EH-TW6000 - ProyectoresOK - YouTube)​

I see that there are many forum members who own one of these. If money was NOT the deciding factor (Epson is cheaper to Optoma), then what was it?

Many thanks in advance.

I don't think u can go wrong with either choice mate.But, first things first, the former video is 4.5 years old, so I would hardly consider it as a decision making one.The LCD technology has matured a LOT since that video and is almost neck and neck with DLP technology these days IMHO.I have heard the POP and SHARPNESS are a tad better with DLP PJs usually,whereas LCDs excel in BLACKLEVEL and CONTRAST, which is a very vague and irresponsible comment i know, but that's what I have garnered before making my Epson TW6100 order.

The DLP PJs have an inherent Rainbow Effect problem(plz google on this) which can be a deal breaker if you are susceptible to this and if so, would render your purchase useless.This is the case even if u are not prone to RBE but someone in your house is.So, if possible, do a thorough demo of the DLP technology and decide.Also, you should consider 4x or 6x DLP PJs rather than single chip, which highly reduces the RBE.

The LCDs don't have such problem, but picture is more video like i heard and u might have to live with a slightly less-natural picture.Can only give a more accurate account of the same when my baby arrives.In the meantime, the more experienced gurus here should be able to help you make an informed decision.

Thanx and regards
Imrahn

a demo will be very helpful to make the choice.
what i know is dlp gives you much theter/film like image but a 3 chip one will be best which are just super expensive.......comparing a single chip one and a lcd one is upto your demo....

The warranty is for one year only. It is highly unlikely that you will be likely to invoke the warranty during that period. Your usage is also unlikely to cross 600 hours in the year. Hence do not pay more for a non-benefiting insurance. Rather buy a model from abroad but which has service centre in India. Use the money saved to buy a better model.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

The warranty is for one year only. It is highly unlikely that you will be likely to invoke the warranty during that period. Your usage is also unlikely to cross 600 hours in the year. Hence do not pay more for a non-benefiting insurance. Rather buy a model from abroad but which has service centre in India. Use the money saved to buy a better model.

Yes, I have got many things from the US and it is a real $$ saver, of course. But I am willing to spend that extra here for a "what if" situation. Insurance money :)

@prosenjit: Will definitely demo before buying. Hopefully I can get some dealers to hook both of them back to back.

@imrahn: LCD model seems to have less negatives and it is cheaper as well. How much did you get your 6100 for? Anyone who has bought Epson 6000/6100 in Pune? Other than a 42" Panasonic, I havent bought anything serious in AV in the past 5-6 years, so any advice on good dealers will be great. I plan to buy projector this month, upgrade my receiver next month.

I own Panasonic PT-AE-700E which is an LCD model (720p). I can assure you that it is a brilliant projector. Of course, it was purchased way back in 2005. Today it may appear a little outdated but it was top ranked in 2005. My friend who is in business of AV equipment first blasted me for buying LCD and not DLP. When he saw my PJ, he admitted that it was no way inferior.

Is your seven year old projector still working today?how many bulb replacements? Not sure if you are still tracking US deals..any black Friday PJ deals for me pls?

Is your seven year old projector still working today?how many bulb replacements? Not sure if you are still tracking US deals..any black Friday PJ deals for me pls?

No bulbs changed till now. A projector is not something used day in and day out. Projector has done about 1200 hours.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

If the PJ is exclusively used for movies, I would go for DLP. It has some serious advantages which will gives you that "cinema" feel. Black levels are excellent in DLP coupled with great textures and that pop is definitely there. And 3D is a bonus for every DLP user. Regarding RBE, it depends on the color wheel speed and your sensitivity. Most of the modern PJ's have high speed color wheels which definitely minimizes this effect. Being said that I am using an entry level DLP for the past two years on a 110" screen and my experience with movies on it is nothing but "great". Yes, I have compared it with LCD's in that range and somehow never felt that "cinema" feel I was looking for. My suggestion is to have a thorough demo of each model, after all beauty is in the viewer's eyes :cool:

Not reviving an old thread, but I forgot to update here. I bought a Benq W1070 finally. Got it from the US, costed $900. Thanks a lot for the advices. I have a temp set up now. Yet to set up the movie room.

Connected via HDMI to PS3, GBox MX2 and via VGA to Linux PC. Tested 3D (with sainsonic 144Hz active glasses), works fine, both frame packing and SBS. No link drops. The glasses offer two modes of 3D. Only one seem proper. But the images doesn't pop out of the screen in either modes.

I was afraid of it, but no rainbow effects. Screen is a wall for now, from a 10' throw the picture is 96" without zoom and when zoomed 120". (What's advised? Zoom or no zoom?)

For the theater room, plan to dedicate a wall for the projection. Should I get a fixed screen, or like a few other FMs, just do up the wall? The room is dedicated, I plan to paint the walls and ceiling grey, screen lighter shade of grey. If fixed screens are better, can go that path as well.

Once again, thanks for all the advices.

96" image will be more brighter/crisper and good details but small size. 120" will be large indeed but at the cost of the above. It is a judgement call - I think answer lies somewhat in between - 110".

Congrats... just quoting a post from a FM below.

Exactly my thoughts, I have showed my PJ and the film to atleast 35-40 different folks. Not one complained about the 720p resolution nor the rainbow effect. The DLP PJ with 3D is a must showoff stuff. I watched Hubble 3D, man that was something.

If the PJ is exclusively used for movies, I would go for DLP. It has some serious advantages which will gives you that "cinema" feel. Black levels are excellent in DLP coupled with great textures and that pop is definitely there. And 3D is a bonus for every DLP user. Regarding RBE, it depends on the color wheel speed and your sensitivity. Most of the modern PJ's have high speed color wheels which definitely minimizes this effect. Being said that I am using an entry level DLP for the past two years on a 110" screen and my experience with movies on it is nothing but "great". Yes, I have compared it with LCD's in that range and somehow never felt that "cinema" feel I was looking for. My suggestion is to have a thorough demo of each model, after all beauty is in the viewer's eyes :cool:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back