Another noob Q - This time about Wiring & ZONE 2

rajat13777

Hi Guys (esp Venkat, Raman),

So I have spent some time with the Denon 1909, with some borrowed Bose speakers, currently listening to them without the set up et all. My neighbors now look at me differently:mad:

Must say that using the AVR is really good.

So I have a new set of Qs, mostly about the wiring & Zone 2

I need about 150 ft of wiring for my room and another 75 ft to go to another room

Q

1. What is a decent wire to take? Denny at Bass & Treble suggests something that's in range of Rs 50 per mt.

2. Do we need to take some special care while putting up these wires - they should not be twisted, nailed down, worked through walls which have beams etc?

3. What is Zone 2? I'll start with what I have understood:
- It helps me amplify sound of speakers in another room or Zone
- Basically that :D:p

but having reached this far, why would I want the same sound going to another room? & why the fancy name like Zone 2? It is just like a speaker connection in the main room, isn't it?:confused: I mean, it would be really foolish to run to the main room every time to increase the volume etc

& considering it is the use of the amplifier to amplify sound from another source, how would that exactly work? I mean, I would still need to run to the other room to increase volume, right??!!??

Like I said, noob Qs.:rolleyes:

BTW, one last Q. I am also looking at buying a new DVD player & was told to look at the Samsung 1080PK. This has HDMI capability.

I have a large collection of movies (almost a 1000) in mp4 format, for my iPhone. This I want to watch using USB or something. So the Samsung has MPEG 4 support as well as a USB port. Further, it is being shipped with a free HDMI cable.

My Q is : With the AVR 1909 having the upscaling capability, do I need the DVD player to have HDMI as well or is the AVR sufficient?

Guys, look forward to more of your support.

Thanks,
Rajat

Your title should have read noob Qs! Anyway lets break them out a bit...

So I have spent some time with the Denon 1909, with some borrowed Bose speakers, currently listening to them without the set up et all. My neighbors now look at me differently:mad:

I hope its because of the speakers :) since they are borrowed, I would advice to look at other manufacturers when you decide to buy them yourself.

I need about 150 ft of wiring for my room and another 75 ft to go to another room

Q

1. What is a decent wire to take? Denny at Bass & Treble suggests something that's in range of Rs 50 per mt.

For the lengths, any wire with a gauge (AWG) rating of 16 or 14 should work. Go for the cheapest priced one if they are the above gauge.

2. Do we need to take some special care while putting up these wires - they should not be twisted, nailed down, worked through walls which have beams etc?

Just don't split them and join them by twisting the ends yourself (let it be contiguous length as far as possible). If you cant run the entire lenght in that way, use male-female RCA connectors to extend them (though a second option).

Also dont let them be exposed to natural elements like sun/rain etc. Also away from gas stove etc.

3. What is Zone 2? I'll start with what I have understood:
- It helps me amplify sound of speakers in another room or Zone
- Basically that :D:p

Zone 2 lets you hook up a pair of speakers (only 2) in another room but being controlled by a single AVR via Infrared connections (look in the back of AVR for IR port). This will make you control the AVR without walking to it each time. Also these speakers are on a different circuit than the original and are usually less powerful (so you may get less amplification)

Thats about it. I have had AVRs with this capability but never was a fan of it. I ended up getting a cheapo stereo avr for the second room. Less complexity and headache.

I have seen some people in apartments use it but very rarely.

but having reached this far, why would I want the same sound going to another room? & why the fancy name like Zone 2? It is just like a speaker connection in the main room, isn't it?:confused:

Some people want same sound around their entire house. Its an individual thing. Some of the newer high end AVRs from Denon and Yamaha and possibly others allow for video to also be running through zone 2, so you cna watch the same pic while lying donw in the bedroom as an example.

I was put off by the same observation as you re: the same sound in 2 areas. + my wife's music tastes are a bit different than mine and it was not helping there.

I mean, it would be really foolish to run to the main room every time to increase the volume etc

& considering it is the use of the amplifier to amplify sound from another source, how would that exactly work? I mean, I would still need to run to the other room to increase volume, right??!!??

The IR connection will take care of this and will prevent the frequent to/fro trips.

With the AVR 1909 having the upscaling capability, do I need the DVD player to have HDMI as well or is the AVR sufficient?

UPscaling can be accomplished by component (R,B,G) connectors or HDMI in your case. so, you could potentially have a connection like this

DVD - (Component Cable OR HDMI) - AVR - (HDMI cable) - TV

Upscaling should work.

Last edited:
Zone 2 lets you hook up a pair of speakers (only 2) in another room but being controlled by a single AVR via Infrared connections (look in the back of AVR for IR port). This will make you control the AVR without walking to it each time. Also these speakers are on a different circuit than the original and are usually less powerful (so you may get less amplification) Thats about it. I have had AVRs with this capability but never was a fan of it. I ended up getting a cheapo stereo avr for the second room. Less complexity and headache. [/QUOTE said:
Hi,

Can u elaborate? What do you mean Infra Red? I am actually planning to take install the main speakers in my bedroom & the zone 2 was to be a pair of wires coming out of there into the living room.

I would need the wires, but the infrared would do what & how, since there is a wall in the middle?

Would I need another remote or something?

Hi,

Can u elaborate? What do you mean Infra Red? I am actually planning to take install the main speakers in my bedroom & the zone 2 was to be a pair of wires coming out of there into the living room.

I would need the wires, but the infrared would do what & how, since there is a wall in the middle?

Would I need another remote or something?

The IR is the only way you can use the same remote from zone 1 & 2.

How are you running the wires to the zone 2?

Some AVRs come with 2 remotes though most dont

Also, is there a reason you have the zone 1 as your bedroom and 2 as the living room? Most installations I have seen are switched the other way round.

Hey,

Sorry, but still haven't understood! So IR is the only way, check,
But how do I use the IR port? Do I need to connect something there? Like a dongle or something?

How I am running the wires to Zone 2? Simply by taking them through the wall and into the living area. I hope that's the way to do it. Actually recently bought a new house & am doing it up so can afford to embed wires into the wall before final paint etc.

I have zone 1 in my room as I plan to watch a lot of movies & hence need to do it in my room. Can't imagine watching movies sitting on a sofa or something.

Yes, I recently bought a Denon AVR 1909, which came with only one remote, so not sure what to do with the Zone 2 thing.

Waiting for your reply on these

Thanks,
Rajat

Hey,

Sorry, but still haven't understood! So IR is the only way, check,
But how do I use the IR port? Do I need to connect something there? Like a dongle or something?

How I am running the wires to Zone 2? Simply by taking them through the wall and into the living area. I hope that's the way to do it. Actually recently bought a new house & am doing it up so can afford to embed wires into the wall before final paint etc.

I have zone 1 in my room as I plan to watch a lot of movies & hence need to do it in my room. Can't imagine watching movies sitting on a sofa or something.

Yes, I recently bought a Denon AVR 1909, which came with only one remote, so not sure what to do with the Zone 2 thing.

Waiting for your reply on these

Thanks,
Rajat

Look at page 6 in your manual Pt. 7 (zone 2 connections) and page 20 for what is required to use the IR.

You need an external receiver. To quote from the manual (page 20) AVR 1909When using in combination with an RF Remote Controller (RC-7000CI sold separately) or RF Remote Receiver (RC-7001RCI sold separately), two way communication with an RF Remote controller is possible"

The second little remote control that came as an accessory (RC-1107) is the Zone 2 remote control which is IR based. (page 7) in the manual.

Sounds like you have to read atleast some of the manual before installing the system!

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back