AnuBody tried WDLive / similar MPs in Car?

cmsajith

Is there anybody tried WDLive or similar media players for ICE ing their car, since they require less than 12v DC and can be controlled using small size lcd screens? This will be a replacement for carputers, right?

Is there anybody tried WDLive or similar media players for ICE ing their car, since they require less than 12v DC and can be controlled using small size lcd screens? This will be a replacement for carputers, right?
I have thought about it, but find a carputer more interesting as I can:
a) Implement a Liliput or some other touchscreen
b) Have GPS
c) Tweak the SQ by adding a good Sound Card etc
d) Have OBD (On board diagnostics)
e) Program or change maps on my ECU (I am running a Racedynamics customisable ECU)
f) Doubles as your computer while you are on the move, so can browse hifivision from anywhere by just adding a USB NetConnect
g) There are some fantastic carputer softwares, which make the whole thing so seamless

Only reason I am not kicking off the carputer project is because in my car (Esteem), the music system din is very low and will objects like Gear knob come in the line of sight for the rear passengers. I thought I'll implement this in my wife's i10 but she is happy with that stupid free ultra basic Sony mp3 music system that came free with it:sad:.

Also, simpler would be to use a MX or APC 12V Car Voltage convertor. I have the APC and and my laptop, camera battery charger, handycam charger all work very well on this.

do they support touchscreens?
Nope, this is not possible. Even I assumed this would be possible, but it was the OP - cmsajith who made me realise it can't be done (on another thread) because the Media player cannot accept any other input commands apart from remote whereas in a PC, you have a keyboard and mouse which has been replaced by touchscreen.

why in car ?
wdtv is meant for HD viewing and 5.1 sound.
It is ineffective/overkill for usage in a car.

You could use a HDD based car audio system...though not sure if they are available easily in India...

'carputers'...hmmm...interesting concept...where can i get more info on this (gyan purpose)...

why in car ?
wdtv is meant for HD viewing and 5.1 sound.
It is ineffective/overkill for usage in a car.
There are 5.1 systems(speakers including center channel, sound processors et all) available for cars too for which you can use the WDTV as a source. Why restrict yourself to 2/2.1 just because it is a car? I am not sure about HD but WDTV can play SD in 5.1 very well.

You could use a HDD based car audio system...though not sure if they are available easily in India...

'carputers'...hmmm...interesting concept...where can i get more info on this (gyan purpose)...
From the indian perspective, team-bhp has a few threads. I have myself experienced two DIY carputer implementations from team-bhpians. One of them is a member here, I meant to ask him to post his install here, somehow keep forgetting. Here is a team-bhp thread, where he has posted some pics:

My Carputer install - Verna - Team-BHP

Venkat, was this reply meant for another thread? Let me know which thread, so I don't miss out on Anu:D.

You're being watched Mr.Q, Each Text you type in HFV are being displayed as SMS on your OH's mobile (Boy I love this technology if it existed)

Wearing my Marketing cap I would like you to see this thread from Gearheads, PS3 on a Maruti Swift - I think it fits your Esteem perfectly, time to source another PS3

A simple long story - Swift Zxi. : Hatchbacks

You're being watched Mr.Q, Each Text you type in HFV are being displayed as SMS on your OH's mobile (Boy I love this technology if it existed)
With friends like you, who needs enemies?!!:D

Wearing my Marketing cap I would like you to see this thread from Gearheads, PS3 on a Maruti Swift - I think it fits your Esteem perfectly, time to source another PS3

A simple long story - Swift Zxi. : Hatchbacks
No buddy, carputer it will be. I have given myself 6 months to do this. Apart from ICE, it will be cool if I can get the OBD and Racedynamics software on a touchscreen.

BTW, Kiran(thread posted in previous post) also uses a mini-keyboard with a trackball if he needs to key in any text. The touch is also quite sensitive and the Centrafuse software is worth every $, it costs some 70$ and can be configured to start when the PC starts.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back