Any Coaxial/SPDIF only DACs similar to ODAC

manniraj

I wanted to know from the esteemed members here, are there any simple but good Coaxial/SPDIF only DACs on the lines of ODAC (ODAC is regarded as a neutral and transparent DAC for USB and I am using one and very happy :clapping:). I googled but there are so many results and most of the stuff being from Chinese creations in ebay/aliexpress but not much of good reviews.

Thanks in advance :)

When I say similar to ODAC I meant that it should be a DIY kit either a fully assembled or to be assembled but should be economical and neutral/transparent.

Have you heard about HifimeDIY DAC? Go for it;

Edit:
Disclaimer: I've only heard the USB version that too modded by our FM Linuxguru.

Last edited:
Yes Captain, heard a lot about this small DAC but I am also looking at other options like the pre-built Audio-gd NFB-11.32 which can also be used as a pre-amp. The reason I am looking something simple but without USB is I am very happy how the ODAC sounds so I do not want to get another DAC just for coaxial/spdif inputs along with a USB, so the cost should come down. Lets see if I come across a DAC in my requirements without a USB.

Thanks

Yes Captain, heard a lot about this small DAC but I am also looking at other options like the pre-built Audio-gd NFB-11.32 which can also be used as a pre-amp. The reason I am looking something simple but without USB is I am very happy how the ODAC sounds so I do not want to get another DAC just for coaxial/spdif inputs along with a USB, so the cost should come down. Lets see if I come across a DAC in my requirements without a USB.

Thanks

manniraj,
Even I am looking for an ODAC equivalent DAC having coaxial/spdif input only (and no USB). I am highly impressed with the ODAC and so I don't want to keep it out of my system chain (I will post my review of the ODAC + BJ LC-1 performance in another thread some time during the weekend).
Did you come across any such DAC ?

I have some decent number of CDs as well and I prefer playing all those with ODAC in the chain. I am just thinking of playing those CDs directly on my computer through it's CD drive, but I am not sure if this is a recommended one. If that is not recommended, then I also need to hunt for a DAC with SPDIF input only.

manniraj,
Even I am looking for an ODAC equivalent DAC having coaxial/spdif input only (and no USB). I am highly impressed with the ODAC and so I don't want to keep it out of my system chain (I will post my review of the ODAC + BJ LC-1 performance in another thread some time during the weekend).
Did you come across any such DAC ?

I have some decent number of CDs as well and I prefer playing all those with ODAC in the chain. I am just thinking of playing those CDs directly on my computer through it's CD drive, but I am not sure if this is a recommended one. If that is not recommended, then I also need to hunt for a DAC with SPDIF input only.

I was looking at the Audio-GD but unfortunately it is out of stock and may be available by mid of April. Also I got a Oppo 980H DVD player which has a very good in-built DAC and I am using this for audio CD playback. Hence decided to postpone the DAC purchase for some more time. If you have lots of CD then I would advice rip them to either WAV/FLAC and use it over ODAC. Its a one time job but will help in the long run on the usage point of view.

I was looking at the Audio-GD but unfortunately it is out of stock and may be available by mid of April. Also I got a Oppo 980H DVD player which has a very good in-built DAC and I am using this for audio CD playback. Hence decided to postpone the DAC purchase for some more time. If you have lots of CD then I would advice rip them to either WAV/FLAC and use it over ODAC. Its a one time job but will help in the long run on the usage point of view.

As you suggested, ripping the CD is better in the long run, but I have this question arising out of my curiosity. Is there any specific reason for you not to try playing the CDs directly on your computer (with ODAC in the chain) ? Also, I am curious to know if you have compared "CD->computer->ODAC" with "CD->Oppo-DVD player".

EDIT NOTE: I just noticed your component chain in your signature and looks like you are using mini-pc for audio playback. I guess you are not having the CD drive in that. Am I right ?

Last edited:
As you suggested, ripping the CD is better in the long run, but I have this question arising out of my curiosity. Is there any specific reason for you not to try playing the CDs directly on your computer (with ODAC in the chain) ? Also, I am curious to know if you have compared "CD->computer->ODAC" with "CD->Oppo-DVD player".

I do not have a CD drive in my dedicated fanless music-pc. I think the CD drives in the PC will not be of great quality atleast the laser/transport as far as I read it online and also a dedicated audio CD player will be any day better than the CD drives. For the same song ripped in WAV or FLAC played over ODAC, I feel the CD playback on the Oppo is slightly better with more gain and clear instrument separation. But at the end of the day convenience of PC over rules the audio CD player.

There are several DAC boards available for the DIYer which are S/PDIF only and have comparable or higher specs than the ODAC. Here are two of them:

1) Muse Audio 24/192 CS8416 + CS4344 DAC - small red board on top.

2) Syllable's 32/384 ES9018K2M DAC from the Group Buy at diyAudio. This is the bigger, mostly unpopulated, blue board at the bottom.

j3w1.jpg

The specs vary a lot, but the upper board is much simpler to install and use, while the lower board is meant for the experimenter/DIYer and has numerous alternative input/output options.

Also check out this Chinese digital music player that can play .wav, .flac, etc. from an SD-card, and is completely reconfigurable on a single Altera Cyclone-IV FPGA!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FPGA-master...er-APE-FLAC-WAV-192K-24bit-HIFI-/161254373901

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back