Any fan of 90s albums?

Barun7

Wanted to start this discussion for some time now. Apart from those events evergreen melodies from films, the 90s had another gift for us - Music Albums. Those were also referred to as Private Albums. I am sure anyone who has feeling for 90s music can't forget Baba Sehgal, Alisha, Lucky Ali, Aryans, Euphoria, Silk Route, Junoon, Falguni Pathak, Shaan, Sonu or Bombay Vikings. And then there were those one off gems like Dhuan Dhuan(Anu Malik), Solva Saal, Purani Jeans and Chahat(Harry Anand). I have painfully built a collection of such songs over the years as those are much harder to procure as compared to songs from movies. Most of them are equal to or below 320kbps but that folder is my favourite one!
Anyone with similar interests?

Last edited:
Hi Barun, I do like some of the artists you mentioned and have and still listen to their albums. Lucky Ali, Silk Route and Shaan would top the list :)

Who can forget Baba Sehgal? :D I was never a big fan, but still remember his "Manjula".

I liked Apache Indian - although some of his songs seem sexist today. There was another gem of an album called Meri Jaan Hindustan - an eclectic anthology of pieces by artistes as varied as Remo, Chitra, Ilayaaraja and Dr. L Subramaniam.

Wanted to start this discussion for some time now. Apart from those events evergreen melodies from films, the 90s had another gift for us - Music Albums. Those were also referred to as Private Albums. I am sure anyone who has feeling for 90s music can't forget Baba Sehgal, Alisha, Lucky Ali, Aryans, Euphoria, Silk Route, Junoon, Falguni Pathak, Shaan, Sonu or Bombay Vikings. And then there were those one off gems like Dhuan Dhuan(Anu Malik), Solva Saal, Purani Jeans and Chahat(Harry Anand). I have painfully built a collection of such songs over the years as those are much harder to procure as compared to songs from movies. Most of them are equal to or below 320kbps but that folder is my favourite one!
Thats the music I grew up wiith. Since we didnt had much info about the new films and albums that were going to release from tv, I solely relied on the ads in those cassetes. its funny that I had cassetes of many hindi flop albums and films, as every month my father used to buy me one or two them and whats new the shop was what I could buy. Despite being in south, the hindi the shop guys used to get all new hindi albums (very little in number) in time for us.

After all this years , I wanted to listen many of them again on CD, and while looking for them online, I found some of them are very rare now. For example I had been hunting Alisha-Bombay girls magnasound CD for long. Noone who has it want to sell it and no online offline store has it either. Noone uploads even a pirated copy on internet ;)

What 90s did was it gave us some good voices Like Shaan, Shreya Ghosal, KK. I liked Pervez, KK, Mohit Chauhan voice. But as they say most modern artists have their voices "auto tuned" to sound good. Most outstanding voice is of shreya ghoshal. These days my music listening has been reduced to once a week of some Bollywood oldies or indian/western classical.

Any one remember one 90s song, music director was Ranjit Barot who is known for some quality recordings and experimental music ? Dont remember the lyrics or artist but it was by a lady and something like 'toote naa'
regards

Any one remember one 90s song, music director was Ranjit Barot who is known for some quality recordings and experimental music ? Dont remember the lyrics or artist but it was by a lady and something like 'toote naa'
regards
Hi Hiten, was Ranjit Barot active as a composer in the 90s? He had some good albums in the 2000s though.
BTW, is this the song ?

Nothing can beat the magic 90s......I was an active DJ then....mostly the English songs for me which created the magic and mood on dance floors....it even does today......I had a lot of cassettes then.....however managed to get all on CDs....now have most in MP3 320KBPS....I love the 80s too.....managed to get some in FLAC.....I still listen to the artists listed ,,,,,,.got Hindi songs in MP3..overall hear all genres of music!

Thanks Sandeep. But this is not the song, It was mellow song. I think some christian or marathi lady sung it. Not sure. Memory too vague.

Like to add Rock Machine (Indus Creed) and Vital Signs to that list. They were the pioneering rock bands in India and Pakistan respectively in the 80’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me. I'm no fan of Bollywood music but grew up loving most of the artistes you mention. The others I've just never heard of. Every time I visit India, I try and buy these CDs but they're just not available for sale. Moreover downloads of high-res music (Wav or FLAC) files of these artistes also do not seem possible. I'm lost and would love to get my hands on these once again. (Incidentally, I have most of these on cassette tapes but transferring them loses fidelity). How do you guys deal with this?

Oh wow. Nostalgia hitting hard. I love 90s music and all the artists mentioned in this thread. Procuring high quality 90s music is an issue though.

I too am from the 80s and 90s era. I just happened to get a few audio cassettes from my parents' home. The cassette tapes still look very much immaculate as I had left them around 25 yrs back. No sign of fungus, the tape reel is still freely flowing as it was in the olden days so I presume they still sound good as they were back in mid 90s. I do have a few Chrome tapes as well (CrO2) but mostly "Normal" tapes.

I also got a few audio CDs from my parents' home which are "Pet Shop Boys-Discography Album", "1942-A love story", "Hum Aapke Hai Koun" and one double CD pack which has mix of 90s songs. Few cassette tapes and CDs are still missing but I intend to go and search at my parents' place and recover them, epsecially the English songs CDs which include "Ace of Base", "Enigma" and few others.

And ohh btw, I have built a 80s and 90s english songs playlist in my Spotify which includes majority of the 80s and 90s songs where I have tried jogging my memory and have been trying to add more n more songs as I remember them, but my fav artists back then were, Pet Shop Boys, Bon Jovi, Phil Colllins, Madonna, Kenny G, Steve Wonder, MJ, Billy Joel, Aqua, Spice Girls, Engima, Roxette, Dire Straits, Khalid "Didi" song, to name a few.

And yes, I do have Apache Indian songs as well into my Spotify playlist which were most famous then, "Arranged Marriage" and "Chok There"

I am big fan of 90's Hindi music including Hindi Album songs. This was era I grew up. In early 90's Listening to music through Audio Cassette was the only option for me and later moved to MP3 world as Audio Cassette became obsolete. But from past few years my hunger for collecting Physical Media increased and I started my journey of collecting Audio CDs, even though it is not easily available . So far I have collected some of the Hindi Album CDs of Alisha Chinoy, Ali Haider, Lucky Ali, Shaan, Sonu Nugam, Babul Supriyo, Vikas Bhalla, Aslam Shivani, Silk route, Strings, Suchitra, Bombay Vikings, Biddu, Rabbi, Aryans, DJ Aqeel, DJ Doll, Dance Masti.

Back