Any feedback on audio note TT setup service please

Yelamanchili manohar

Hi all,

Iam a complete noob at vinyl. And I probably dived at the deep end of the pool at my first attempt to swim :D

And I bought all separates, TT, tone arm, cart, SUT and phono stage. Since a vinyl setup is heavily dependent on how it is setup, which honestly is beyond me. I was wondering if anyone here has used audio note india's vinyl setup service. Any feedback would be very helpful. Thanks

Hi Yelamanchili,

Part of the charm of vinyl is fiddling around and setting up things that are manual in nature and in the process gaining an understanding of the physics and mechanics involved and thus a better appreciation for the medium. It is not difficult to learn how to set up your gear. Small steps, reading up online, asking for help here, these are all ways to enjoy the journey. Reaching the destination is a bonus, but the journey oh my god! Now that's the really fun part. Don't gift it away to someone else through fear of not being able to do it yourself.

I am not exactly electronically savvy yet I managed to rewire and completely service my SME tonearm myself and troubleshoot and repair my garrard. I learnt how to set up a cart from knowing nothing at all. You start out as zero but soon become your own hero, IF you choose to.

What TT, tonearm and cart have you got?

Cheers!

Hi Yelamanchili,

Part of the charm of vinyl is fiddling around and setting up things that are manual in nature and in the process gaining an understanding of the physics and mechanics involved and thus a better appreciation for the medium. It is not difficult to learn how to set up your gear. Small steps, reading up online, asking for help here, these are all ways to enjoy the journey. Reaching the destination is a bonus, but the journey oh my god! Now that's the really fun part. Don't gift it away to someone else through fear of not being able to do it yourself.

I am not exactly electronically savvy yet I managed to rewire and completely service my SME tonearm myself and troubleshoot and repair my garrard. I learnt how to set up a cart from knowing nothing at all. You start out as zero but soon become your own hero, IF you choose to.

What TT, tonearm and cart have you got?

Cheers!
Haha...thanks @stevieboy

I've read a lot of posts where folks have knackered the stylus on the cart, just trying to fit it. And since I don't have any prior experience, thought it might be safer to get it done by someone who actually knows what he is doing, unlike me :D

But your advise is really reassuring. Thanks :D

Below is the vinyl chain, still in separates form, and not yet setup as iam still travelling at the moment .

TT - acoustic signature challenger mk3
Arm - acoustic signature TA-1000 10" arm
Cart - EMT TSD 15 MC
SUT - EMT STX 21 with EMT cables, but I also have acoustic signature cables with me
Phono stage - Big bottle mk3

Ah in that case yes your cart is an expensive one. The dealer set up would be safer. Or you could get a cheap Ortofon OM 5e and explore setting up! No biggie if you break the stylus, just get a spare along with it. That's the longer but more scenic route to setting up your vinyl. Bottom line you have to be comfortable, if you absolutely fear it, go with the dealer set up.

Nice components by the way! Congratulations!

Regards

Haha...thanks @stevieboy

I've read a lot of posts where folks have knackered the stylus on the cart, just trying to fit it. And since I don't have any prior experience, thought it might be safer to get it done by someone who actually knows what he is doing, unlike me :D

But your advise is really reassuring. Thanks :D

Below is the vinyl chain, still in separates form, and not yet setup as iam still travelling at the moment .

TT - acoustic signature challenger mk3
Arm - acoustic signature TA-1000 10" arm
Cart - EMT TSD 15 MC
SUT - EMT STX 21 with EMT cables, but I also have acoustic signature cables with me
Phono stage - Big bottle mk3
Hi Manohar,
Ill second stevieboy..get a cheap MM cart and play around with it. setup is not so tough once you figure it out and you tube is an excellent source of learning material. problem with MC will be it will need to match your EMT SUT and they are more expensive anyway. learning to put a cart in is a "Essential skill" in vinyl so better to learn it that depend on anyone else

I dont think you will ruin the MM cart but will give you more confidence and you could always put out a wanted for a cheap MM cart in the forum "wanted" section with your bidget

What a start :), well done. Not too many have the means or guts to make such a start. Turntable setup is not that difficult and the basic principles around this art, are common to any turntable. There are 2 ways of starting (1) by breaking and learning or (2) by reading and consulting. Option 2 is the less expensive method with quick results hence try to read as much as you can. In my times, one had to rely on places like the British Council library but these days, there is so much written about stuff, online. The advantage of option-2 plus you setting it up yourself, will result in you becoming an expert yourself :) All the very best.

The first skill anyone would need, when venturing into vinyl is - to have nimble fingers and a steady hand. A lot of stuff is delicate or needs some level of precision so this skill will serve you very well (and also protect your equipment). Also don't forget to get yourself a set of screwdrivers (especially smaller precision heads). Personally I handle, use and store my tonearms and carts like expensive jewelry.

Last edited:
Ah in that case yes your cart is an expensive one. The dealer set up would be safer. Or you could get a cheap Ortofon OM 5e and explore setting up! No biggie if you break the stylus, just get a spare along with it. That's the longer but more scenic route to setting up your vinyl. Bottom line you have to be comfortable, if you absolutely fear it, go with the dealer set up.

Nice components by the way! Congratulations!

Regards
Thanks for the suggestions @stevieboy

Actualy makes a lot of sense. Why didn't I think of that before :)

Hi Manohar,
Ill second stevieboy..get a cheap MM cart and play around with it. setup is not so tough once you figure it out and you tube is an excellent source of learning material. problem with MC will be it will need to match your EMT SUT and they are more expensive anyway. learning to put a cart in is a "Essential skill" in vinyl so better to learn it that depend on anyone else

I dont think you will ruin the MM cart but will give you more confidence and you could always put out a wanted for a cheap MM cart in the forum "wanted" section with your bidget
Thanks arj :)

Point well noted. I did mention the designer and builder of the big bottle mk3 phono stage in UK, about the cart . He did some research on the EMT MC cart and gave me some 100 ohm loading plugs along with the phono. I did mention that I also had a matching EMT SUT, but don't know if the use of a SUT will necessitate a different loading, apart from the loading that suits the cart .

And will defintiely start with some MM cart now till Iam confident enough to handle the mounting of the MC cart. Thanks.

What a start :), well done. Not too many have the means or guts to make such a start. Turntable setup is not that difficult and the basic principles around this art, are common to any turntable. There are 2 ways of starting (1) by breaking and learning or (2) by reading and consulting. Option 2 is the less expensive method with quick results hence try to read as much as you can. In my times, one had to rely on places like the British Council library but these days, there is so much written about stuff, online. The advantage of option-2 plus you setting it up yourself, will result in you becoming an expert yourself :) All the very best.

The first skill anyone would need, when venturing into vinyl is - to have nimble fingers and a steady hand. A lot of stuff is delicate or needs some level of precision so this skill will serve you very well (and also protect your equipment). Also don't forget to get yourself a set of screwdrivers (especially smaller precision heads). Personally I handle, use and store my tonearms and carts like expensive jewelry.
Thanks a lot for your kind words sir :)

I've been sitting on the fence as regards vinyl for a very long time now. Finally decided to take the plunge, with a lot of help from one certain forum member, who likes to remain anonymous at the moment :D

As advised will start reading up, though the last time I checked about VITA and stuff like loading etc...I felt like a fish blown out of water :D

But will keep reading as much as I can for a better understanding of the underlying principles.
Thanks again :)

Manohar, if you are using the EMT SUT, then you need to use the MM of the phonostage. If not using the SUT, then use the MC of the phono stage. I would think using the EMT SUT into the MM of the phono stage should sound better. But try both ways and see which you prefer.

Manohar, if you are using the EMT SUT, then you need to use the MM of the phonostage. If not using the SUT, then use the MC of the phono stage. I would think using the EMT SUT into the MM of the phono stage should sound better. But try both ways and see which you prefer.
Thanks a lot prem :)

Will try both ways and see. The verdict on the BB mk3 so far is that it has a outstanding MC stage. Even beating some 7.8k GBP Tron reference phono stages. So Iam excited to try both and see :)

Thanks arj :)

Point well noted. I did mention the designer and builder of the big bottle mk3 phono stage in UK, about the cart . He did some research on the EMT MC cart and gave me some 100 ohm loading plugs along with the phono. I did mention that I also had a matching EMT SUT, but don't know if the use of a SUT will necessitate a different loading, apart from the loading that suits the cart .

And will defintiely start with some MM cart now till Iam confident enough to handle the mounting of the MC cart. Thanks.
For an EMT it needs to be min of 200ohms and upto 2k..400 might be ideal.

I'd suggest using the MM in of the phono and the SUT to get a feel of the cartridge and then get into resistive loading to get the right match

Thanks @prem and @arj

Wasn't really aware of that, as the designer gave me 100 ohm plugs. But I guess I will have to buy a few resistive plugs and give it a try :)

Being someone who struggles to hear differences between cables and even dac's. I can see an other challenge coming :D

Thanks @prem and @arj

Wasn't really aware of that, as the designer gave me 100 ohm plugs. But I guess I will have to buy a few resistive plugs and give it a try :)

Being someone who struggles to hear differences between cables and even dac's. I can see an other challenge coming :D
I thought you heard difference in speaker wires with your new TL speakers with out a struggle.

I thought you heard difference in speaker wires with your new TL speakers with out a struggle.
Not as much as the cables were made out to be at their respective price points sir :D

Especially when we consider that some are outright obscene amount of money, that I can't even mention the prices here.

Reading the subject you are looking for TT setup provided by AudioNote India. Well i would say recommended, my TT is setup by Aernoud but its was complimentary as its an AudioNote TT.
Because if your TT is not aligned (cart, tonearm) it can lead to damage to stylus and records.
However i would recommend you to also purchase a stylus guage.

Reading the subject you are looking for TT setup provided by AudioNote India. Well i would say recommended, my TT is setup by Aernoud but its was complimentary as its an AudioNote TT.
Because if your TT is not aligned (cart, tonearm) it can lead to damage to stylus and records.
However i would recommend you to also purchase a stylus guage.
its not that bad. its easy to get the basics right and if you do it works fine...just need to print one of the protractors and align,

its not that bad. its easy to get the basics right and if you do it works fine...just need to print one of the protractors and align,
True... over the years, set up is now a 2nd nature, one does not even have to think about it... but yes, it was tough at first... I suggest Manohar takes the tough route of starting !

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back