Any idea on Crosley record players?

aks07

Goilkera. (Dist W Singhbhum - BNR Line) Jharkhand
Crosley Radio

They look simple enough with the right 50s looks and features. Thinking of getting something like this for mother so that she can again enjoy her 78rpm records. Her old Garrard changer died in 70s and very foolishly it was given away.

My mainstream TT and system is too complicated for her. Although I have converted most of her 33 and 45RPM vinyl to CDs, she sometime looks very longingly at her record collection and I am hoping to bring a little joy to her. Besides a whole treasure trove of 78RPM is still untouched.

Any ideas?

Crosley Radio
Her old Garrard changer died in 70s and very foolishly it was given away.
Any ideas?

Hello Aks07,
when you talk about Garrard changers do you think they can be bring back to life. MY relative has a Garrard 3000 which died about 20 years ago.I was wondering if it can be made to work again?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Most of the vintage turntables can be brought back to life, unless there is physical damage to bearings, platter and tonearm. Struck bearings, motor, broken needle etc. are easily fixed.

However you may not be able to fix the record changing mechanism. It is too complicated.

Cheers

Yes a Garrard TT or changer can be resurrected depending upon the condition. The biggest problem is the Idler. This is the item most often needing replacement, but it has simply disappeared from parts shops nowadays.

The Changer mechanism is complicated and fragile. If broken then it is best to leave it that way and manually operate the rig. In Indian homes inquisitive kids found this feature specially tempting, so expect the changer mechanism to be in a bit of shaky grounds.

Couple of years ago I restored a Gerrard Changer Console for a nice old Anglo Indian lady. Mechanically it was ok but needed work on the electronics and the woodwork. The original valve amp was removed sometime in its life and in its place a HMV fiesta amp (about 2 watts) was installed during a previous repair.

One of these days I will go over to her place to find out if she is willing to let it go. I have a spare QUAD II monoblock and it should fit perfectly withing that Consol.

Hi

Ashok,if you ever want to get rid of the single Quad II,I will be willing to buy it.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi

Ashok,if you ever want to get rid of the single Quad II,I will be willing to buy it.

http://www.hifivision.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=80180
Regards
Rajiv
Hi Rajiv. You will remember this amp from a couple of years ago. As you know the other monoblock blew up its main transformer and I am yet to get a rewinding or finding a replacement. Subsequently, I dismantled the amp with a view to completely restore. And as it usually happens it is laying in a box. The good one works work well and I only changed the resisters, capacitors and tubes. Take away the whole lot if you can fix the mains transformer. I anyway dont really use this amp. Too much of a 50s sound.

I have news on the aforementioned Gerard turntable as well. This evening I traced old Mrs. Peacock and called her up. She is amenable to me coming around and having a look at the console. Inshallah it shall happen this week and I am hoping to persuade her to part with it.

Hi Ashok,

Thank you for offering the Quad II/II amps.I will gladly take them.

One of the guys on the Quad group has the transformer winding data,so I should be able to get the transformer fixed.Do you have the original cores?

I have got all the packing for the radios, but have yet to crate them in wooden crates and send them to you.Sorry for the delay.

The Pye Cambridge PE80 is now with you know who in Calicut.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Ashok,

Thank you for offering the Quad II/II amps.I will gladly take them.

One of the guys on the Quad group has the transformer winding data,so I should be able to get the transformer fixed.Do you have the original cores?

I have got all the packing for the radios, but have yet to crate them in wooden crates and send them to you.Sorry for the delay.

The Pye Cambridge PE80 is now with you know who in Calicut.

Regards
Rajiv

PM enroute
And best of luck to the Calicut anna with the mutilated piece. ;)

Stay away from Crosley products. They look very vintage, but quality wise they are very poor. I you only want to play shellacs then there are two options. The cheaper one is go for any Second Hand HMV, Philips, Garrard, Sony turntable and attach it to your Amplifier. HMV and Phillips do have 78rpm speed. However in this option you will get sound from ceramic cartridges which if do not suits you then go for the second and costlier option. You can buy Audio-Technica LP120. Its a three speed turntable having superb rating, Google it and you know it.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back