Any Schiit Vidar poweramp users?

Mayank Shah

Hello, Any Schiit Vidar users here?. Feedback is highly appreciated along with a brief about the rest of the gear. Thanks.

Hello, Any Schiit Vidar users here?. Feedback is highly appreciated along with a brief about the rest of the gear. Thanks.
If you are getting one, just get it. It's amazing, don't need any feedback to decide. If you can get 2, even better, run them in bridged mono mode.

MaSh

Vidar is Slightly on the Warmer Side of Neutral, it'll extract Very good LF response from any speaker.
there's AEgir Class A amp as well, do check it out, its receiving good reviews. I Had a good experience of pairing Vidar with MA Silver RX6, Zensor 5, Magnepen 1.7 , tannoy Revolution DC6 and ATC Scm 11s , and it sounded pretty good.

Our Best experience was with 2 Vidar in Mono-block Config, Very authoritative, reduced noise floor , especially with demanding speakers like ATCs or Magnepens. Getting the chain with 2 Vidar & going Completely balanced makes a lot of SQ improvement. My Recommendation is Get that 2nd Vidar, without a second thought; if you can get 2.
I did have SMSL SU-8 Dac which didn't sound very well , Other DACs like Gungnir Multibit, Modi Multibit, Northstar Supremo & Arcam iRdac all sounded pretty well with SYS/Saga/Vidar combo. Avoid Cheap Chinese DACs YMMV.

Last edited:
Vidar is Slightly on the Warmer Side of Neutral, it'll extract Very good LF response from any speaker.
there's AEgir Class A amp as well, do check it out, its receiving good reviews. I Had a good experience of pairing Vidar with MA Silver RX6, Zensor 5, Magnepen 1.7 , tannoy Revolution DC6 and ATC Scm 11s , and it sounded pretty good.

Our Best experience was with 2 Vidar in Mono-block Config, Very authoritative, reduced noise floor , especially with demanding speakers like ATCs or Magnepens. Getting the chain with 2 Vidar & going Completely balanced makes a lot of SQ improvement. My Recommendation is Get that 2nd Vidar, without a second thought; if you can get 2.
I did have SMSL SU-8 Dac which didn't sound very well , Other DACs like Gungnir Multibit, Modi Multibit, Northstar Supremo & Arcam iRdac all sounded pretty well with SYS/Saga/Vidar combo. Avoid Cheap Chinese DACs YMMV.
Thanks. I was also thinking about Freya for a pre with vidars. Now getting the vidars here is the problem. My Rme DAC can do as a pre and has XLR outs. Freya would give me an option to hook up other sources like CDP and streamer as well. Currently they are hooked up to the dac via coax and optical.

As of now, it's not critical to get a dedicated pre as such. But do let me know if it would make a difference. My limited knowledge tells me that if I take RCA outs from the CDP and streamer, then the inbuilt DACs on both are in play and by connecting them via coax and optical, I will be bypassing Thier inbuilt DACs and utilising the Rme dac.

Last edited:
As of now, it's not critical to get a dedicated pre as such. But do let me know if it would make a difference. My limited knowledge tells me that if I take RCA
Get that Dedicated Analog, Balanced (Preferably Tube) Preamp, I think it is quite Vital. Don't Rely on Digital Preamp, My 2 cents.

Get that Dedicated Analog, Balanced (Preferably Tube) Preamp, I think it is quite Vital. Don't Rely on Digital Preamp, My 2 cents.

+1 to the above

A dedicated preamp provides better impedence matching , which usually results in more body and weight to the sound. You might be surprised how different your dac will sound, when you put it into fixed output mode and bypass its internal volume control, and connect it to an dedicated external preamp for volume control.

silly imaginative descriptions of the sound quality of the Vidar amp (or any power amp) notwithstanding ("grip", "pacing", "air", "warmer side")all B.S. audiophool nonsense, the Vidar is an excellent amp especially at it's price. No one here could, in a blind test, distinguish it from any overpriced "high end" amplifier. I've had this amp driving maggie LRS speakers and it's performance is perfect. The reason some have experienced this amp shutting down when driving 4 ohm speakers (maggie LRS) is because the output signal level of their pre amp is too small. Turn up the output signal of your preamp. The Vidar's input sensitivity is on the low side.

For the Vidar, which one of these preamps will you recommend:
  1. SYS (the most basic of the lot)
  2. Fulla
  3. Magni 3+
  4. Heresy
  5. Asgard (base module)
  6. Vali
I have the Modi 3 DAC and after buying the VIDAR it will be some time before I could even consider the Saga S or Saga + type of preamps. If you think the SYS does its job, I'd probably stick to it and then consider the Saga types a couple of years down the line.

Mayank, I have an Asgard 3 which I use as a heapdphone amp but recently tried it as a Pre - it worked quite well.

As a preamp, it was not bright and had good tone. Positive enough for me. What I hate about it is that it sounds better if it is left on (seriously!) and gets reasonably warm - so not environmentally friendly at all.

Mayank,
I have briefly heard Vidar with ATC scm11 at my place. This was a fellow FM's who got it over for an audition.
My then amps were a pair of Trigon monoblocks. Vidars had warmth but the Trigons were way superior.

BTW, he ended taking both ATC and Trigons.

Acquiring Vidars today can be expensive.
My suggestion would be too look at Quad amps in sale section by CyberVinay. These are studio versions, sound way superior, have warmth, great bass and rarely ever breakdown. Do consider.

Mayank,
I have briefly heard Vidar with ATC scm11 at my place. This was a fellow FM's who got it over for an audition.
My then amps were a pair of Trigon monoblocks. Vidars had warmth but the Trigons were way superior.

BTW, he ended taking both ATC and Trigons.

Acquiring Vidars today can be expensive.
My suggestion would be too look at Quad amps in sale section by CyberVinay. These are studio versions, sound way superior, have warmth, great bass and rarely ever breakdown. Do consider.
Agree with what AVM is saying (I am the FM referred to in his post). I compared the trigons and vidar at length over the last couple of years with the ATC and the jerns. The vidar is adequate but are not as refined as the trigons.

For the Vidar, which one of these preamps will you recommend:
  1. SYS (the most basic of the lot)
  2. Fulla
  3. Magni 3+
  4. Heresy
  5. Asgard (base module)
  6. Vali
I have the Modi 3 DAC and after buying the VIDAR it will be some time before I could even consider the Saga S or Saga + type of preamps. If you think the SYS does its job, I'd probably stick to it and then consider the Saga types a couple of years down the line.

the sys doesn’t do justice to the vidar. You can try looking for a used lyrita pre or anode acoustics or acoustic portrait Swara.

the sys doesn’t do justice to the vidar. You can try looking for a used lyrita pre or anode acoustics or acoustic portrait Swara.
Thanks! Looking at your suggestions along with the Schiit Saga (not the tube). Btw, the comparison with Trigon and Vidar - ain't the Trigon 3x the price of Vidar? Just asking. If the difference is not that much in India, I can consider the Trigon over Vidar.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back