Any Sonodyne Avant /Sonus users in this group --- Suggestion Needed

edjamesx

Hi all ,
I have auditioned JAMO FS, Harman FS , Monitor Audio and finally Sonodyne Sonus FS speakers.

Out of this i found Sonodyne sonus speakers are more pleasing to my ears. My requirement is mainly for watching movies.
I have played the content of my taste with Sonodyne sonus speakers and they are good in deed. It was good for music as well.

I have played Revenant movie starting --> the Water sound was realistic and more crisp.
Spectre movie --> the starting scenes with drum music was great with this speaker.
Lord of the Ring -> bird chirping sound and dialogues were great.
I also played other regional movies and they also sounded nice.

I wanted to check about Sonodyne avant series speaker , but bangalore dealer does not have speaker for demo.

Which one is better --> Sonodyne Sonus or Sonodyne Avant speaker. There's only 25 k price difference between sonus and avant series speaker.
I can consider avant speaker if any positive response as i dont hear these speakers or else i can strict to sonus speakers .

My onkyo amp is 80 watts rms /channel. but these speakers are rated 150 -> 200 watts rms. May be i can upgrade amp in future. Will it be sufficient to drive these speakers for now. My dealer says it will be sufficient.

Please suggest.

I wanted to check about Sonodyne avant series speaker , but bangalore dealer does not have speaker for demo.

Which one is better --> Sonodyne Sonus or Sonodyne Avant speaker. There's only 25 k price difference between sonus and avant series speaker.
I can consider avant speaker if any positive response as i dont hear these speakers or else i can strict to sonus speakers .

I was using Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS, Sonus c2401, Sonus 1501 BS & Souns Rears in a HT set-up.. My brother uses Sonodyne Avant LCR250 x 3 pieces as his fronts.. I liked both of them, but Avant more (older model, now discontinued)..

The older Avant series speakers, were made of aluminium enclosure.. The new ones are made of MDF i guess..

The newer Avant center channel C2 is a 3-way center channel, think first kind of product from Sonodyne.. Share prices of Sonodyne Avant series if you are aware..

My onkyo amp is 80 watts rms /channel. but these speakers are rated 150 -> 200 watts rms. May be i can upgrade amp in future. Will it be sufficient to drive these speakers for now. My dealer says it will be sufficient.

Those ratings are power handling capacity of the speakers.. look at sensitivity of the speaker.. For HT/stereo use, the SPL should be sufficient enough for a small - medium size room..

Thanks elangoas..

How is the reliability of the speaker?

Here's the spec of Avant and sonus speakers , Avant series is superior in Size of woofer , Watts & mid range.

Yes Avant Series are MDF vented as you mentioned
http://sonodyne.com/sonodyne-reside...ies/3-5-way-floorstanding-speaker-system.html
http://sonodyne.com/sonodyne-residential/prime/avant-series/avant-c2.html

Sonus Series
http://sonodyne.com/catalog/product/view/id/4/s/sonus-3360/category/53/
http://sonodyne.com/sonus-3165.html

How is the sound signature of Avant speaker comparing to Sonus speaker. IS it better & worth spending more?.

in sonodyne website Price they mentioned 40k per piece for Avant T2 FS , and around 20k for Avant C2 . I need to negotiate the price with dealer.
25 k for Sonus 3365 per peice,14 k for 3165 .

Last edited:
Thanks elangoas..

Here's the spec of Avant and sonus speakers , Avant series is superior in Size of woofer , Watts & mid range.

Yes Avant Series are MDF vented as you mentioned
http://sonodyne.com/sonodyne-reside...ies/3-5-way-floorstanding-speaker-system.html
http://sonodyne.com/sonodyne-residential/prime/avant-series/avant-c2.html

Sonus Series
http://sonodyne.com/catalog/product/view/id/4/s/sonus-3360/category/53/

How is the sound signature of Avant speaker comparing to Sonus speaker. IS it better & worth spending more?.

in sonodyne website Price they mentioned 40k per piece for Avant T2 FS , and around 20k for Avant C2 . I need to negotiate the price with dealer.
25 k for Sonus 3365 per peice,14 k for 3165 .
Sonodyne speakers are very good in both audio and as well as build quality. I personally use Sonodyne 2605 V2 FS. But sadly Sonodyne has gone into hibernate mode when it comes to the residential segment. Also, though speakers normally don't go bad easily, compared to amps and receivers, yet if anything goes wrong, Sonodyne service is like Govt dept services.

Sonodyne speakers are very good in both audio and as well as build quality. I personally use Sonodyne 2605 V2 FS. But sadly Sonodyne has gone into hibernate mode when it comes to the residential segment. Also, though speakers normally don't go bad easily, compared to amps and receivers, yet if anything goes wrong, Sonodyne service is like Govt dept services.
I asked my dealer same question ..about service... they told they will take care of the service of speaker in case if it goes wrong even after a year...Not sure though..
I think as long as in warranty it will not be a issue ?

My brother still using Avant LCR 250.. Must be 5 + yrs time and just fine.. He also uses Sonodyne SLF210 series subwoofer too.. No issues with sub until today..

In a HT set-up, a subs takes care of <=80Hz.. So don't worry abt the bigger drivers.. Even if you will be getting a FS, it will function as a 3-way satellite speaker..

around 20k for Avant C2

This is really great price for 3-way center channel..

I like the Avant (older series) than Sonus.. Never heard the newer Avant series..You have had a first hand experience with Sonus & Avant and seem to like the Avant..go for it.. Get 3 pieces for L - C- R, so they are identical..

But sadly Sonodyne has gone into hibernate mode when it comes to the residential segment.

There is so much they can do, and yet they don't.. Hope they wake up soon..

I use the Avant centre channel with Sonus front speakers. Since this is entirely an HT setup, the centre was more important to me so bought the better centre channel. For music, the larger sonus series are a bit warmer sounding than the Avant towers I heard. The Avant ones are more resolving.

Reliability is pretty good. The towers are about five years old. Centre and surrounds are three years. No problems

I like the Avant (older series) than Sonus.. Never heard the newer Avant series..You have had a first hand experience with Sonus & Avant and seem to like the Avant..go for it.. Get 3 pieces for L - C- R, so they are identical..

I did not get a chance to look at audition of Avant series speaker ...since no dealers in Bangalore have the Avant speaker for demo . Its quite surprising . I took a audition of Sonus series that was made ready by my dealer on request . He was promoting harman FS speakers to me initially which is costing 90 k per pair.

We don't have have same identical Speakers in new avant series . They have Center channel (3 way speaker) and LR Floor Standers.

Can i use same center channel for LR speaker ?

Avant C2 Speaker
avant-c2-white-1.jpg
Avant T2 Speaker
avant-t2-white-5.jpg

Last edited:
I did not get a chance to look at audition of Avant series speaker ...since no dealers in Bangalore have the Avant speaker for demo . Its quite surprising . I took a audition of Sonus series that was made ready by my dealer on request .

Sorry.. Overlooked and thought you had an audition of both..

We don't have have same identical Speakers in new avant series . They have Center channel (3 way speaker) and LR Floor Standers.

Yes.. They don't have BS in Avant series.. You got to consider FS from that series for L & R.. Since a sub would be there in the set-up, you can overlook FS..

Can i use same center channel for LR speaker ?

Yes.. I don't think there is any issues in using 3-way center channel for L - C - R.. It is the same as small BS with bass drivers on either sides..

He was promoting harman FS speakers to me initially which is costing 90 k per pair.

You know what most likely would happen in any dealer place ;)

For the same money of Harman FS for 90K, you can consider 5 pieces of Avant 3-way center channel..

Last edited:
Sorry.. Overlooked and thought you had an audition of both..
Yes.. I don't think there is any issues in using 3-way center channel for L - C - R.. It is the same as small BS with bass drivers on either sides..

Hi elangoas ,
I also prefer to use same identical speaker for LCR , because i can save some floor space.
i just mailed and asked sonodyne support team ,they told its not recommended . Logically these speakers (avant C2 and T2 have same drivers)..May be Avant C2 might have designed to use only as center channel.

I think i will better go with Avant C2 and Avant T2.

Anybody Tried Avant C2 as LCR Speaker?

Sonodyne.png

Last edited:
i just mailed and asked sonodyne support team ,they told its not recommended

Please ask them for the reason..

May be Avant C2 might have designed to use only as center channel.

Ok.. This was my logic in suggesting.. If a center channel is the most important in a HT system, and if 3-way horizontal center channel is the best, then it should be good to use as L/R.. But, unaware if it would be acoustical limitation..

So, please wait for technical suggestion from forum members.. If it can be used, then good for you.. Else, you can take FS as fronts..

Last edited:
The frequency response of a centre channel is more limited.
This is what Sonodyne lists for the C2:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 60 Hz ~ 21 kHz (+/-3 dB)

In Comparison, the 3260 bookshelf is below:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE (-3 dB) on axis 55 Hz ~ 20 kHz

And the T2 tower
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 40 Hz ~ 21 kHz (+/-3 dB)

60hz is not enough for music. If you want to use as a sub-sat system, the centre may work as LCR

The frequency response of a centre channel is more limited.

60hz is not enough for music. If you want to use as a sub-sat system, the centre may work as LCR

No no.. Not the freq resp limitation.. I was thinking if there would be any limitation with vertical / horizontal dispersion when using a 3-way horizontal center channel as LCR..

Hi elangoas , i have spoken to some technical person from Sonodyne. They are saying Center channel is designed specifically for Center ,so it may not fit for LR speaker, apart from that they did provide further technical info.

My Room size is 16/11 . Will avant be overkill for my room size?
At least i heard sonus series...couldn't judge the avant series speaker without hearing it.
My mind tending towards sonus 3360 FS + 3165 Center as i already experienced those speakers and considering my little weak amp power output (80 watts Rms / channel @8ohms)
Almost i will finalize today..

Please suggest

Hi elangoas , i have spoken to some technical person from Sonodyne. They are saying Center channel is designed specifically for Center ,so it may not fit for LR speaker, apart from that they did provide further technical info.

Ok.. Anyways, i feel it should be fine to use for L/R, but unaware if there will be acoustical limitation..

My Room size is 16/11 . Will avant be overkill for my room size?

Nope.. Not at all..

At least i heard sonus series...couldn't judge the avant series speaker without hearing it.
My mind tending towards sonus 3360 FS + 3165 Center as i already experienced those speakers and considering my little weak amp power output (80 watts Rms / channel @8ohms)
Almost i will finalize today..

Please suggest

If you heard Sonus and like it, good to settle for them.. If you already have a sub in your set-up, then you can skip the FS and settle for BS..

What is your AVR?..

Well I was using the sonous bookshelves and the sonus centre for around 3-4 years. In my opinion the the avant towers are nice but for a dedicated home theater setup I would prefer bookshelves and a sub.

Nope.. Not at all..
Ok... In some forums they were discussing with bad reflection of using big drivers in the speaker with respect to room size . Hence asked.

Well I was using the sonous bookshelves and the sonus centre for around 3-4 years. In my opinion the the avant towers are nice but for a dedicated home theater setup I would prefer bookshelves and a sub.
I am also adding 10" sub to the HT package. I heard the demo with Sonus FS , Center + 10 " sub. I think though its FS , Sub is essential. Without Sub it felt little flat. For Music it sounded nice without sub /but for movies sub is must.
I have heard some other BookShelf speakers (Monitor audio ) in the past...some how Felt flat even with Sub. So Prefering FS speaker for LR.
What is your AVR?..

My amp is ONKYO tx-sr574

Here is my Amp Specs
Amp-spec.png

Ok... In some forums they were discussing with bad reflection of using big drivers in the speaker with respect to room size . Hence asked.

Ok.. Not aware of that.. If you happen to have the link, please share here.. Good to enlighten on the topic..

I am also adding 10" sub to the HT package. I heard the demo with Sonus FS , Center + 10 " sub. I think though its FS , Sub is essential. Without Sub it felt little flat. For Music it sounded nice without sub /but for movies sub is must.
I have heard some other BookShelf speakers (Monitor audio ) in the past...some how Felt flat even with Sub. So Prefering FS speaker for LR.

Ok.. Then good to pick the FS..

My amp is ONKYO tx-sr574

Here is my Amp Specs

The 3165 FS sensitivity is 92 dB, which i think is more than enough.. Same with 3360 center channel too.. around 90 dB.. Your AVR should be comfortable handling these speakers..

After a long thought I have finally decided to go with Sonodyne Sonus series ,and placed order. Hopefully it should reach me 7-10 days.
http://sonodyne.com/sonus-3360.html

Thanks all for Sharing your experience

Special Thanks to elangoas for providing sincere Technical info & advice..

Will Share the pics & my experience once i receive the product & setup in place...!

After a long thought I have finally decided to go with Sonodyne Sonus series ,and placed order. Hopefully it should reach me 7-10 days.
http://sonodyne.com/sonus-3360.html

Thanks all for Sharing your experience

Special Thanks to elangoas for providing sincere Technical info & advice..

Will Share the pics & my experience once i receive the product & setup in place...!

Thank you.. Glad my inputs was of help to you.. Awaiting pics..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back