Any STB with ananlog 5.1 audio output?

debddatta

Hi. I read through the existing threads but could not find a straight answer to the following question:

Is there any Set Top Box that has analog output for 5.1 channel audio?

I am currently using Airtel DTH (non-HD) hooked to my 40" LED TV (which has only stereo headphone out and optical out for audio) and 5.1 speaker system (with analog input only).

I am reluctant to invest in a A/V Receiver (they don't come cheap).

Am looking to upgrade to a HD DTH subscription and one of the considerations would be to see if I can get 5.1 channel analog audio output directly from the STB.

Info on STBs or other creative solutions welcome :)

Hi. I read through the existing threads but could not find a straight answer to the following question:

Is there any Set Top Box that has analog output for 5.1 channel audio?

I am currently using Airtel DTH (non-HD) hooked to my 40" LED TV (which has only stereo headphone out and optical out for audio) and 5.1 speaker system (with analog input only).

I am reluctant to invest in a A/V Receiver (they don't come cheap).

Am looking to upgrade to a HD DTH subscription and one of the considerations would be to see if I can get 5.1 channel analog audio output directly from the STB.

Info on STBs or other creative solutions welcome :)

hi deb,

As baiju mentioned there are no stbs with analogue outs.

But there are hd stbs with optical audio outs.Since your speaker system can take only analogue audio inputs, you need to have a decoder to decode the audio signals and covert it to analogue signals.

i was searching earlier for a solution to connect my playon hd to my analogue speaker system.
after some search i purchased a decoder which can take audio through coaxial cable and convert to analogue signals and i connected this decoder via analogue cables to my speaker system.This works perfectly fine.

http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/16704-5-1-channel-analogue-audio-out-playon-hd-possible-2.html

try any of these decoders and you could enjoy the audio through your existing speaker system with out spending much.

Recently i purchased videocon hd d2h and connected my stb also to my speaker system through this decoder via optical cable.

find a dth which has genuine 5.1 audio out through optical cable.

all the best.
Dijeesh.

Thanks so much Dijeesh. I'll definitely try to find one of these decoders.

BTW, what is your opinion on Videocon HD D2H? Some people on other threads claim that they do not offer true 5.1 audio.

Thanks so much Dijeesh. I'll definitely try to find one of these decoders.

BTW, what is your opinion on Videocon HD D2H? Some people on other threads claim that they do not offer true 5.1 audio.

Deb,
Sorry for the delay in my reply.

There are couple of hd channels which provide additional audio track(dolby digital).One has to select those secondary audio track by pressing the info button and by pressing the yellow button(this will change to the second audio track from the default audio).

when i did in those channels which had 2 audio tracks,my decoder showed dolby digital in it.

this dual tracks are not available in all 12 hd channels.I think it is available in Star Movies HD and Stard World HD.

So i have experienced the change in the audio quality and my decoder showed dolby digital signal.

I think this clears your doubt.

Overall i am happy with videocon hd d2h

thanks,
Dijeesh.

Last edited:
I have Tata Sky and Sky+ STBs. Though they do not have 5.1 outs, they do have component outs, Coax and Optical outs. Maybe that would help.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back