Any surgeons in the house?

coaltrain

Monday was a big day for me; my first ever surgery.
Sure, I’ve had various body parts stitched up (and stitched back on!] before, But this was my first time ever in an OT, going under with general anesthesia.
I left all the worrying to my wife and family; frankly, I was pretty excited. I was keen to check out what music would be playing while the doctors chopped me up.
Wouldn’t it be cool if the surgeon was a DanFan? Or maybe even a jazz buff? Perhaps, the doc and I could discuss our favourite Blue Notes!
Imagine my disappointment when I was wheeled in to the sounds of a local radio station. I got to hear a couple of ads, and the beginnings of some pop tune. Then it was lights out.
I guess the real world isn’t as exotic as what you see in the movies.

So, are there any cool surgeons out there who insist on specific music? Do you like to slice and dice to the mellifluous strains of Rafi; or rip and tear to the roar of thrash metal? I’m sure many of us on HFV, myself included, would love to be treated by doctors like you :)

Good one. One of my close friends is an audiophile doctor but sadly not a surgeon. But I am sure there should be quite a few who must be humming duets with the nurses while cutting up and stitching back the unconscious audiophile patient on the OT bed.

Surgeons are probably too cool to be audiophiles IMO. They have a bit of carelessness in their behavior in general. So I doubt they would like to spend that much time deciding about the various components and related stuff. It will be too complicated and irritating for them and they would like to spend their free time on a couple of other things.:p

There are many doctors in this forum but I doubt if any of them is a surgeon. In my younger days, I wanted to be a plastic surgeon but much later I opted for much-relaxed Dermatology so that I have a lot of time for other stuff.:)

If at all a surgeon is found to be an audiophile he would most likely have all in one or closer to that system.

Surgeons are probably too cool to be audiophiles IMO. They have a bit of carelessness in their behavior in general. So I doubt they would like to spend that much time deciding about the various components and related stuff. It will be too complicated and irritating for them and they would like to spend their free time on a couple of other things.:p

There are many doctors in this forum but I doubt if any of them is a surgeon. In my younger days, I wanted to be a plastic surgeon but much later I opted for much-relaxed Dermatology so that I have a lot of time for other stuff.:)

If at all a surgeon is found to be an audiophile he would most likely have all in one or closer to that system.
There are few gems like @girishtd8262

Sure, I’ve had various body parts stitched up (and stitched back on!] before, But this was my first time ever in an OT, going under with general anesthesia.
I left all the worrying to my wife and family; frankly, I was pretty excited. I was keen to check out what music would be playing while the doctors chopped me up.
Wouldn’t it be cool if the surgeon was a DanFan? Or maybe even a jazz buff? Perhaps, the doc and I could discuss our favourite Blue Notes!
Imagine my disappointment when I was wheeled in to the sounds of a local radio station. I got to hear a couple of ads, and the beginnings of some pop tune. Then it was lights out.

So, are there any cool surgeons out there who insist on specific music? Do you like to slice and dice to the mellifluous strains of Rafi; or rip and tear to the roar of thrash metal? I’m sure many of us on HFV, myself included, would love to be treated by doctors like you :)
I am a DanFan, Blues buff and a jazz afficionado. I am not much of a surgeon but am great at carving steaks and my cross-stitch is decent. Let me know if you need me to take a 'stab' :)

PS: Hope you are doing well post-surgery. Take care!

Hi I'm urologist.its always nice to have music playing in the operative theatre. when I was doing residency in urology my boss used to play mama mia some English songs during transplant surgery . though the songs were v good ,but we were made to listen to same cassette all 3 yrs as he considered it to be a lucky one .
For our dermatologist queri,still their are some surgeons who doesn't spend time holding glass or doing other things
Just kidding.
Music in low volumeduring surgery especially when ever we have long case is really relaxing.
Awareness during anaesthesia is a well known entity as many pts will be able to recall many events that happened during surgery even though they were under anaesthesia.so with music playing even pts might also enjoy as a relaxation therapy
For coaltrain my advice is just relax and leave everything to the surgeon.you will do good .relax wish you speedy recovery

Wishing you speedy recovery. Was reminded of Dr. House. @coaltrain

Thank you all for your good wishes! Much appreciated :)

Shyam, your mention of steaks has fast tracked my recovery! Can’t wait to get back on my (ab)normal diet.

Great to hear your insider views, Girish. I’ve always been fascinated by how doctors can listen to music while focusing so intensely on a procedure. Music as relaxation makes a lot of sense.

On a serious note, I’ve always held doctors and healthcare professionals in the highest regard. Many of my near and dear ones would not be around, but for their skill and dedication. I guess the pandemic has taught the whole world the same lesson.

Ha ha! One of the most amusing post topics in a long time!
Get well soon coaltrain! We've missed you on the Jazz thread.

This thread brought to mind this cartoon!

27962665-f9ce-48b5-8160-4636e7f21993-jpeg.36383

Hey Buddy, wishing you a super speedy recovery! I love Rafi, Lata, Kishore and Metal.
Mets, see below:

Guitars - Jimi Hendrix/Steview Ray Vaughn (not metal but still the best guitars ever), DragonForce, Gojira, Tool, even Metallica
Drums - Tool, Led Zeppelin, Dave Lobordo (from Slayer ubt I don't like slayer all that much)
Overall - Tool,
Instrumental Metal - Apocalyptica (specifically Worlds Collide)

If you like Hindustani:

Instrumental, please check out ANYTHING on youTube from Panna Lal Ghosh, Nikhil Banerjee, Ali Akbar Khan

Hindustani Vocals - Ustad Amir Khan, Pt Bhimsen Joshi

Hindustani Female Vocals - Vidushi Kishori Amonkar (particularly Raag Malkauns)

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back