Any update on Audio myths for the new year?

Analogous

As the new year starts I was looking to shed some biases, prejudices, myths and not so useful beliefs, dogma and certitudes....(in general) and related to audio in particular. Since this forum is dedicated to the latter I thought I would seek some wisdom on the audio myths.

Simon from.the Naim community shared Ethan Winer’s presentation on audio myths, and subjective bias from 2009.
He highlights three key takeaways… expectation bias, the effect of untreated room early reflections and their unstable nature with respect to listener position on our perceived audibility (comb filtering), and irrelevant/inaudible specifications in certain parts of the consumer audio business."

Here it is:

Wonder if the past 10 years have brought us any further insights...

Last edited:
On the lighter side from what myth I have heard, after a few pegs, the sound stage fully opens up and you start hearing instruments and vocals that one has not heard before and perhaps not even
You are absolutely right about there being a link between the two. I found these; and much more on line.

Good Morning ,

Wonder if the past 10 years have brought us any further insights...
Probably a difficult task to further bring in more clarity as most of the things are covered by him and I guess even before him good amount of things were known. Audio science dates back to as early as 50s/60s. Psychoacoustic may have some new avenues to explore though.

GM,
while browsing old audio magazines I found following article about Psychology of sound by Harry Olson. You may find it interesting. Article goes as far back as '72.
Link is in pdf format and available at worldradiohistorydotcom website.

Regards.
This is a wonderful peek back in time!
The article about psychology of sound is full of physics but does touch upon psychology of perception a bit.

If you like reading more on the topic I recommend the book “The rest is Noise: listening to the Twentieth Century” by Alex Ross.

A reviewsays: “The Rest Is Noise is an astonishing history of the twentieth century as told through its music. ... Taking readers into the labyrinth of modern style, Ross draws revelatory connections between the century's most influential composers and the wider culture.”

it is a fascinating read I am sure many in the forum who haven’t read it yet would love it.

This is a wonderful peek back in time!
The article about psychology of sound is full of physics but does touch upon psychology of perception a bit.

If you like reading more on the topic I recommend the book “The rest is Noise: listening to the Twentieth Century” by Alex Ross.

A reviewsays: “The Rest Is Noise is an astonishing history of the twentieth century as told through its music. ... Taking readers into the labyrinth of modern style, Ross draws revelatory connections between the century's most influential composers and the wider culture.”

it is a fascinating read I am sure many in the forum who haven’t read it yet would love it.

I read this book several years back. It's an interesting read.

Another book that delves into acoustics, psychoacoustics and provides some useful tips on hifi at home is Floyd Toole's book Sound Reproduction. This book is considered to the definitive text on speakers and room effects.

I had the honor of meeting Floyd Toole and Sean Olive several times, the layer being the brain behind Harman Target Curve. Their understanding and research into this field is fascinating.

Well perhaps the greatest myth broken in the last 4-5 years was that below 500$ dollar speakers can’t sound great.

Speaker designer Andrew Jones changed the speaker industry and set the VFM bar with his launch of the Debut Elac series in 2015.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back