Any users of Marantz Slim Line Series of Receivers

imgene

Am looking at the Marantz slim line series of receivers. Are there any forum members who are using this AVR?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks grunthos for the reference!

Am sure besides me there are now more NR series users who share the same positive experience with me.

Hi imgene

NR series is good VFM as far as my experience goes after using different AVRs for the past 12 years....it has everything under one roof in terms of features, connectivity any normal user would use on a daily basis for the best music / movie / gaming experience...

End of the day the key is to audition the same and decide if it appeals to you in performance, looks and ofcourse budget...there are other AVRs available with similar features for less but Marantz is a class apart..atleast that is my personal experience and opinion as an owner.

Sorry, but I have no idea, am coming back from USA. The pricing here is on par with India prices or there is only a 2-3k difference and in some cases that will also not be there when you factor in the voltage converter.

How would the Indian pricing compare with that at Singapore?

Marantz pricing in india is on par with international pricing. It would be better to buy in india as you would have warranty.

I think ti depends from series to series, the SR series is quite expensive in India while the NR series is priced very competitively

I have the NR1403 that I bought (refurbished for $270, if you are interested)

All subsequent (and more expensive) models only have upgraded features. The preamp and poweramp quality and Audussey room correction are the same... to my knowledge. In my case, I really didn't want all the bells and whistles - my $100 Roku has more features anyway, and I would rather upgrade a source (like Roku) to get features than get have it become obsolete in a much more expensive AVR that I would be upgrading much less often.

Anyway, only my personal thoughts. Many people like integrated features too.

This is a lovely little AVR. I am surprised at how much Marantz has been able to cram into their slimline AVRs. Setup was an absolute breeze - even Audussey setup took 2 minutes at most. And Marantz has really good audio quality for an AVR. Being so slim, it still outputs 50 watts per channel in stereo mode. That is not a lot but with sensitive speakers, that can work.

In my case, I have a pair of floorstanders with moderate power requirements. I did have to crank up the volume to at least 1 oh clock - 2 oh clock to get decent volumes. And since I have a fairly tight and airless cabinet, the AVR would start heating up a bit (it has a temperature display or what seems be a temperature display). But when I say heating up, only the display shows higher temp - I never had an occasion when the amp shut down or went into protection mode.

However, my intent all along was to use this AVR as a stereo preamp (that accepts HDMI and has an inbuilt DAC). Considering this AVR is so small it is as big as a general preamp (or thickish CD player), and is also one of the rare entry level AVRs that has pre outs, it ticked all my boxes. And the price is really sweet too.

I have now been using it as a preamp and the sound quality jumped quite a bit. It was still decent to begin with, but my speakers have really benefited from the extra muscle that my power amp provides.

In short, two thumbs up for this tiny little AVR with such a big heart. And it does really well where it matters - sound quality. It also has a mode that significantly improves crappy input audio quality - like 128kbps mp3s or streaming internet radio.

Great info...thank you....a quick question are you using step down or did the amp come with 110-240v inbuilt power capabilities?

The latest marantz slim line series gives about 50 w rms x 8 ohms. Iheard a demo ofa concert and while 50 w/ channel seems low the sound volume is more than enough fora standard size room. The quality is superb and the machine has all the features u wud normally use..check it out.

Hi

Yes....50watts RMS from a Marantz can run easily speakers rated from 100-150watts...

If you are looking at the 7.1 series, you can easily hook on a 5.1 setup and use the remaining 2 channels as Bi Amp...thereby sending more power to your front speakers (provided Bi Amp connectivity is present).

There is a NR1605 available on HiFi Ads....seems promising....and competitive in rate.

I think its not really fair to compare 50WPC AMP to 80 or 100 WPC AMP w.r.t. power.
These ratings vary based on amount of sound coming out of different channels/speakers.
Few reputed AMP makers do mention in the product details that the unit can provide 70% guaranteed output as compared to its rated power per channel. For example, I think Marantz have mentioned that 70% power is guaranteed for NR1506. So, guaranteed output of NR1506 would be around 35 WPC when there is content coming out of all channels.
I bought NR1504 in early 2015 and I was not able to get the enough details without running it almost @ 65-70% volume with bookshelf@88/89db, and it may be difficult to listen continuously at that volume level.
I realized why people choose powerful (more power@WPC) AVR/amp, because powerful amp can feed up more detailed sound at low volume levels, at the levels that you would normally like to listen. I, then, changed AVR to Pioneer VSX-830-K and difference was observed.

I think NR150x would be more suitable for satellite kind of speakers which peak out @ 40-50W. For bookshelf or FS, may be more powerful AMP should be used otherwise sooner or later upgrade bug would start kicking.

I hope experiences shared my forum members would contribute and help in ending up with a satisfying setup.

I have had the NR1605 for about 18 months.
Very well featured receiver for small/medium sized rooms and small form factor speakers (read bookshelves).

Cheers,
Raghu

I am using NR1606 driving Dali Z7 + rest of the speaker set up that you can see in my signature. If you are not the one to crank up the volume to have your neighbor knocking your door, NR series should suit you. I never had issue with them (yes sub is important)

Hi,

The NR series has enough power to drive the required speakers. It's all about tweaking the settings once audyssey is done. You can adjust speaker levels, source levels, tone control, manual EQ as desired to achieve optimal performance.

In the old analog days of Arphi amps etc, there were never speaker levels to be adjusted etc....

Oh wow, responding to a thread, 2 years old.

I am using a Marantz 1504 and no I don't use satellites. I have used Polk Tsi 200, Elac B6 - not very efficient speakers and currently using Polk Monitor 30. These apart from the other center and surround speakers. Never had any power issues. I have run the same set of speakers in my home with an Onkyo rated at 115w. All 6 pairs of ears in the room could notice is the same amount of loudness at slightly lesser volume, say 3-4 db. Clarity and all was almost same, just a slight difference in sound signatures of Marantz and Onkyo.

MaSh

Could some one with NR1506/1606 provide me the package dimensions of the amplifier? I know the amplifier dimensions. What I need is the dimensions of the shipping box/package.

Thanks,
SF

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back