anybody built a subwoofer with passive radiator (bass radiator)???

Naveenbnc

hi all.... any of you built a subwoofer with passive radiator earlier???
is it fun to build one ??? Because the principle looks very nice

will it be fun to try ??? Of course the box dimensions need to be determined with some simulation softwares i guess...
check the below video

A PR of diameter X tuned to frequency Y is nothing but a speaker cone whose mass is equal to the air in the port (that it is replacing) whose diameter is X and tuned to same Y in the same box. I hope that was not convoluted and confusing.

The PR can reach higher volumes where a port could have turbulence and noise issues.

I ve built a few 12" and 10" out of cones and added mass to tune.

hey .... thanks for sharing your experience... i understood the part "speaker cone mass equal to the mass of the air in the port"
somewhat similar to archimedes principle for floating objects.

but i didn't understand your last comment.... "added mass to the tune" But thats ok... I don't want to dig deep.

Basically, by using passive radiators, we can get better bass with smaller drivers and the size of the subwoofer box can be compact. Hope my understanding is right.

lets say for example.... by using an 8" driver and one or two 8" PR's can we get a bass comparable to a ported 12" sub?
And still keep the overall size compact ??? (I am not going to build it ... because I can't do the tuning etc etc .... just curious to know)

The size reduction advantage comes from the absence of port. The volume of port is non existent, so its a saving. It also means that the box can be tuned lower without increasing the size

I have a dual PR and a single PR sub, these use 12 inch subwoofer drivers and 18 inch PRs from Acoustic Elegance,USA, built more than a decade ago. Check their site out for more info,John Janowitz is a highly knowledgeable guy and there is a lot of info n his site.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back