Anyone heard a Teac UD-701N

Yelamanchili manohar

Reviews are a bit sparse for this dac at the moment. But the below factors appeal to me :

1. Biggest is the price, its 1/3rd of the Esoteric N-05XD its based on. Obviously, I do expect the Esoteric to sound better due to better parts and construction. But this will give a slice of their new Master sound discrete Dac at a much lower price point.
2. Has clock input for 10 Mhz. I could add a Teac CG-10M clock to sync my CD player to this Dac, to give the aging CD player a new life. This is the 2nd biggest appealing factor, as my main source is still CD's.
3. Has balanced headphone output and dedicated in-built amp. Will be nice to have for late night listening at times, though I have to admit that Iam not a headphone guy.
4. Has inbuilt streaming module from Lumin, and apparently can be used with the Lumin muisc app too. If this sounds close enough to my separate Lumin transport, then that can be dispensed with. Will be one box less.
5. Has 2 analogue inputs for its analogue balanced preamp functionality. I could feed my phono stage here and dispense with my current 2 preamps. Will be another 2 boxes less.

Of course the final arbiter is the sound. So, has anyone heard one please :)

Edit : The inbuilt streamer and preamp functionality is secondary, as it might not better what I already have at hand. But will be nice if it does :)

20220223150500_Review_TEAC_UD-701_AP701_2.jpeg

Last edited:
As a dac its decent with filter set to off. All other filters have a cave like sound
Teac's control app is slow, while esotric's app is only semi functional with this unit
View attachment 79423
Thanks a ton for the feed back.. much appreciated :)

I've been sitting on the dac fence for almost 2 years now. And my choices have been swinging wildly from one box to the other. I've probably read every published word about every dac out there 🤣 . So Iam kind of impatient to be done with it. As an example of my extreme choice swings, Iam now barking up the T+A Dac 200 tree at the moment.

My number one choice would be the Tambaqui, if money was'nt an issue. But sadly it is :p. Should know by tomorrow if I can get the T+A or not. Will post back my progress. Thanks :)

Edit : Looks really cool in black. But Iam looking for a silver finish with the optional hdmi board.ta-dac-200-da-wandler-vorstufe.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Teac 701 that I got in to demo with my system. I was truly impressed. The sound stage was forward and detailed. Vocals were sweet and clear. Bass is sensational. I now own it in my reference system. I upgraded to the TEAC master clock and found it had more detail. I am very happy with it's performance and suits my listening style very well. It is feeding an Auris Fortissimo with Audiovector R3 Avantgarde speakers. I also had a Lumin U1 that is now on a shelf as the TEAC has direct ROON streamer option. Plus indeed as all my listening is from my ROON core.

I have the Teac 701 that I got in to demo with my system. I was truly impressed. The sound stage was forward and detailed. Vocals were sweet and clear. Bass is sensational. I now own it in my reference system. I upgraded to the TEAC master clock and found it had more detail. I am very happy with it's performance and suits my listening style very well. It is feeding an Auris Fortissimo with Audiovector R3 Avantgarde speakers. I also had a Lumin U1 that is now on a shelf as the TEAC has direct ROON streamer option. Plus indeed as all my listening is from my ROON core.
Thanks a lot for sharing that :). And you have put across a great system there.

Did you by any chance compare the 701N to the usual suspects at that price. The holo and denafrips offerings.

I have a esoteric K-01 which is a detail hound, but also sounds way too analytical to me. Thus, I had my reservations about the esoteric house sound. But lately that seems to have changed with the introduction of their master sound discrete dac. Hence, the interest again :)

Thanks a ton for the feed back.. much appreciated :)

I've been sitting on the dac fence for almost 2 years now. And my choices have been swinging wildly from one box to the other. I've probably read every published word about every dac out there 🤣 . So Iam kind of impatient to be done with it. As an example of my extreme choice swings, Iam now barking up the T+A Dac 200 tree at the moment.

My number one choice would be the Tambaqui, if money was'nt an issue. But sadly it is :p. Should know by tomorrow if I can get the T+A or not. Will post back my progress. Thanks :)

Edit : Looks really cool in black. But Iam looking for a silver finish with the optional hdmi board.View attachment 79441
Out of curiousity this background doesn’t look like it’s in India, do you live abroad ?

oops sorry...I should have added that I pulled those pics from the net. Happy to know everyone is thinking Iam a posh NRI, atleast till you asked 😏.
:) T+A is generally bit analytical but accurate, borderline aggressive is not paired with dull gear down the chain. I have listened to their integrateds, DACs and speakers from the Criterion range. Imo, their speakers are really underrated. Very good directivity from what I heard.

:) T+A is generally bit analytical but accurate, borderline aggressive is not paired with dull gear down the chain. I have listened to their integrateds, DACs and speakers from the Criterion range. Imo, their speakers are really underrated. Very good directivity from what I heard.
Very good morning :) and thanks for sharing the above.

I will be going into this blind and am basing my decision mostly on user feedback on the forums. Could be hit or miss

Thus, I've factored in the available features and flexibility to soften the blow, if the sound does'nt end up being pleasing enough. A decent headphone out, in built preamp and hdmi module is the main reason for deciding in the end. I enjoy youtube videos a lot, and wanted to integrate that into the system. So keeping my fingers crossed at the moment and expectations low.

Curious which of their dac's your goodselves have heard. Was it the Dac 8 DSD which you found analytical or border line aggressive.

I will be going into this blind and am basing my decision mostly on user feedback on the forums. Could be hit or miss

Thus, I've factored in the available features and flexibility to soften the blow, if the sound does'nt end up being pleasing enough. A decent headphone out, in built preamp and hdmi module is the main reason for deciding in the end. I enjoy youtube videos a lot, and wanted to integrate that into the system. So keeping my fingers crossed at the moment and expectations low.

Curious which of their dac's your goodselves have heard. Was it the Dac 8 DSD which you found analytical or border line aggressive.

I demoed it by chance, so it was DAC8 written in the front. I had an integrated from them in the past and now have a power amp at home. To me, they all have the similarity of being more like a studio equipment than something with fun.

I demoed it by chance, so it was DAC8 written in the front. I had an integrated from them in the past and now have a power amp at home. To me, they all have the similarity of being more like a studio equipment than something with fun.
Thanks again for sharing :)

I would guess that the dac200 will be cut from the same cloth sonics wise. But that's the thing about buying blind i guess. One does'nt know which bones break till after the fall 🤣

Thanks again for sharing :)

I would guess that the dac200 will be cut from the same cloth sonics wise. But that's the thing about buying blind i guess. One does'nt know which bones break till after the fall 🤣
Even if you buy the wrong thing, if you live with it for some days or months, the sound may grow into you. Whenever I change something I end up regretting instantly and then after a month or so, I end up liking it more than my previous equipment.

Thanks a lot for sharing that :). And you have put across a great system there.

Did you by any chance compare the 701N to the usual suspects at that price. The holo and denafrips offerings.

I have a esoteric K-01 which is a detail hound, but also sounds way too analytical to me. Thus, I had my reservations about the esoteric house sound. But lately that seems to have changed with the introduction of their master sound discrete dac. Hence, the interest again :)
Yes I did a DAC train. I tried the Zidoo Neo S, Denafrips Pontus II 12th, Lab 12, Earman Tradattto and Nuprime Evolution DAC. The Nuprime was very good. The 701N had the best sound and specs with my system and listening style. Still very happy with it.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back