Anyone using a Linux Tablet. If yes, which one?

mbhangui

I'm on the lookout for a linux tablet or any decent android tablet where I can remove the android and put linux on it. The primary reason will be to put Linux desktop apps like Cantata to play act as a control for my mpd player and Picard to tag new music files.

Android is not an option because it doesn't have the applications I use and android is not resource light with application size and memory usage.

So far I can see only one option, the Pine Tab. There are others like Raspad, but I don't see it stocked anywhere in India.

Other is to try Ubuntu touch on a regular android mobile. But this can be touch and go. Not all mobile phone hardware support linux properly. If anyone of you have used ubuntu touch, let me know which tablet have you loaded ubuntu touch and I will try to get the same hardware from amazon, flipkart, etc. I don't require the phone dialer to work. All that should work are the touch screen and wifi, screen rotation, brightness, contrast controls.

Take a look at this ASUS Chromebook Flip Celeron Dual Core - (4 GB/64 GB EMMC Storage/Chrome OS) C214MA-BU0452 Chromebook on Flipkart

I bought this Chromebook, which is basically a Android OS underneath. Quite fast with nearly 10hr+ screen time. It's Intel based so, if you know how to flash your favorite Linux distro on it, your task can be accomplished.

Take a look at this ASUS Chromebook Flip Celeron Dual Core - (4 GB/64 GB EMMC Storage/Chrome OS) C214MA-BU0452 Chromebook on Flipkart

I bought this Chromebook, which is basically a Android OS underneath. Quite fast with nearly 10hr+ screen time. It's Intel based so, if you know how to flash your favorite Linux distro on it, your task can be accomplished.
Thank you. Using any chromebook looks like a good option. While searching if the above device supports linux, I came across articles mentioning that chromebooks now can run linux parallely in a container without the need to remove chromeos. So this will work well for my need.

It is all given here.

I'm on the lookout for a linux tablet or any decent android tablet where I can remove the android and put linux on it. The primary reason will be to put Linux desktop apps like Cantata to play act as a control for my mpd player and Picard to tag new music files.

Android is not an option because it doesn't have the applications I use and android is not resource light with application size and memory usage.

So far I can see only one option, the Pine Tab. There are others like Raspad, but I don't see it stocked anywhere in India.

Other is to try Ubuntu touch on a regular android mobile. But this can be touch and go. Not all mobile phone hardware support linux properly. If anyone of you have used ubuntu touch, let me know which tablet have you loaded ubuntu touch and I will try to get the same hardware from amazon, flipkart, etc. I don't require the phone dialer to work. All that should work are the touch screen and wifi, screen rotation, brightness, contrast controls.
I had researched this option a few years ago, when I was using the MPD/MP Droid/Cantata combination. At that time most feedback about Linux on tablets (esp Ubuntu) was not great so I abandoned it. If things have improved now it will be interesting to try again.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back