Apple Camera Connection kit for iPAD to DAC ?

Safar

Hello Folks,

Any one tried the Apple Camera Connection kit for Connecting Ipad to DAC through the USB input ? I saw some blogs where people experimented this way ? Any FM found this working ? If yes, How good was the bit stream quality received this way ?

Last edited:
Hi Safar, I have tried bitstreaming, from ipad through camera conn. kit to caiman dac, and found it to be at par with the laptop, though I have not done any critical listening to established which is a better transport. But yes it works.
I will update once I find some time to do the comparison.
Regards,
Sann

Hi Safar, I have tried bitstreaming, from ipad through camera conn. kit to caiman dac, and found it to be at par with the laptop, though I have not done any critical listening to established which is a better transport. But yes it works.
I will update once I find some time to do the comparison.
Regards,
Sann

That's good news. I am looking at arcam rdac and mf vdac 2 both if them seems to be compatible with cck. If comparable, this combo will replace dedicated dock in my setup.

I have tried the CCK with both ipad 2 and 3 with the five DACs I have. Works like a charm. For USB powered DACs like ODAC a powered USB is essential otherwise in case of AC powered standalone DACs it is just plug and play. There is no difference in quality as the data is transferred in the digital domain. Check my ODAC thread.

I have tried the CCK with both ipad 2 and 3 with the five DACs I have. Works like a charm. For USB powered DACs like ODAC a powered USB is essential otherwise in case of AC powered standalone DACs it is just plug and play. There is no difference in quality as the data is transferred in the digital domain. Check my ODAC thread.

Hi,

Any idea whether this works with Nad MDC Dac ? NAD provides USB drivers for pc and mac. Will cck works with mdc dac in that case.

I tried with the Odac, didn't work due to power issue. How does one provide a powered USB ?

Also, will this work with iPhone as well ?

Thanks,
Viki

I tried with the Odac, didn't work due to power issue. How does one provide a powered USB ?

Also, will this work with iPhone as well ?

Thanks,
Viki

You need to have a EMI isolated Powered USB hub in between your DAC and PC. Some USB hub itself can inject noise on the digital line.

Safar, I had used this with the HRT music streamer 2. The sq is brilliant. But you need a powered USB hub in case a dac is not powered. I tried the belkin hub earlier but with no results. Finally went for th Croma powered
hub which worked like a charm. In fact if you have an iPod touch as well you can use the iPod touch as a remote control.

A powered hub (belkin in my case) is connected with the power source uing the adapter. A DIYer may try to build a better power supply instead of the adapter). The input USB of the adapter goes to the ipad. The DAC is connected to one of the output USB ports and gets detected. PCs don't need a power adapter with the ODAC.

Digital signals are not influenced by analog electrical signals however a RF blocker in the USB cable is preferable.

There are many cck available in eBay and other resellers and apple has one too. Just any of this will do the job or any specific one ? When I checked with apple resellers in bangalore, they were very convinced that cck can only read pictures and won't give digital USB out.

Safar, I had used this with the HRT music streamer 2. The sq is brilliant. But you need a powered USB hub in case a dac is not powered. I tried the belkin hub earlier but with no results. Finally went for th Croma powered
hub which worked like a charm. In fact if you have an iPod touch as well you can use the iPod touch as a remote control.

Hi, was it apple cck or any other one ?

I have the apple CCK. It works fine. I connect the USB out of th CCK to the DAC directly if the latter has a separate power supply or via a powered USB if the DAC is USB powered.

I also got it to work with a Fiio E7 battery powered dac, as well as a stand alone dac thro powered USB hub.

The battery powered E7 can work directly with the iPad if USB charging is disabled. No need for powered USB.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back