Ipad to full network streamer

chander

Dear DIYers,

A friend is planning to convert his 2022 iPAD air to a full fledged network streamer inspired by this project - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/post-your-latest-av-purchase-s.8665/post-1040433

The need is simple -
1 - Utilise an unused iPad and have an aesthetic picture frame type streamer.
2 - Ability to download music locally.

What we have -
1 - Chassis design with a guy to make it.
2 - DAC with USB input.

Questions we have -
1 - Power - Does anyone know of any device that kind of trickle charges electronics like phones/tablets? Basically the idea is to not have power on all day - but just kind of top it up and then stop charging?

2 - USB C splitter - does anyone know of a better USB C splitter, compared to what Apple has for audio - as we need 3 USB outs? The requirement from the USB C splitter is -
- Power
- Connection to DAC
- Adding an SSD

Thank you!

I presume your 2022 ipad has the lightning connector and you have the lightning to usb female connector or lighthing OTG. See this product on amazon.

This is what you can try as the first step. This thing I'm telling you works with firestick, chromecast, android phones and tablets. So it might work for ipad too

1. Get a powered usb hub. You must be having one. If you have an ordinary hub, don't connect hard disk, but you can connect a dac. If it is powered usb hub, it will charge the ipad too.
2. Connect the lighting to usb cable from your IPAD air to the input of this powered usb hub
3. Connect the DAC, hard disk, etc to the USB outlet ports on the hub and see if you can play through the DAC.

1704203432293.png

Last edited:
I presume your 2022 ipad has the lightning connector and you have the lightning to usb female connector or lighthing OTG.
It has a USB C - so could be a pro then I guess - but it does have a USB C.

It has a USB C - so could be a pro then I guess - but it does have a USB C.
Then you need a USB-C OTG, which again is easily available or something ilke this

• Wide Compatibility: the usb c adapter works perfectly with All Laptop with USB-C / Type-C / Thunderbolt 3 port. it also compatible with tablets, kindle, switch and phones that comes with usb c port. Some (but not all) of the tablets and phones (e.g. iPad Pro 2018-2021 / iPad Mini 6 / iPad Air 4 ) are even supported to connect a monitor using an 4K HDMI

What about trickle charging? A tablet always on power will definitely have adverse effect on battery?

I guess the powered USB hub with a DAC and a HDD could also be connected to an Old Android Phone outputting music to an Amplifier -- as an alternative to the iPad?
Thank you!

I guess the powered USB hub with a DAC and a HDD could also be connected to an Old Android Phone outputting music to an Amplifier -- as an alternative to the iPad?
Thank you!
android is stupid. It can either charge or it can use the dac. The new android release has fixed this, but i don't remember.

What about trickle charging? A tablet always on power will definitely have adverse effect on battery?
This I'm not sure. I believe that when it is fully charged, battery doesn't get used. So always on the charger maximizes battery life, but I have to verify this theory.

EDIT: I'm wrong.

This adapter has one usb power port where you can connect the charger.

Basically dac will not push power for streaming devices to charge.

This adapter can take the dac connection and external power charger connection, bundle it in a single lightning port.
Screenshot_20240106_081515.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back