Audiolab 6000a + 8300XP vs Audiolab 7000a

aaronvasanth

Hi all ,

I'm new to HiFi audio and with years of research and numerous thread reads , I have shortlisted to get these which my Friend offered to get it.
Please help me with narrowing down to the right setup for my living room (14 x 12 )

The idea behind relying on setup 1 is future proof , I can add a bluesound node 2i which can provide me usb/hdmi input (just like 7000a) and as a good streamer. I can even add an external DAC in the future if I have money saved for Denafris pontus or Ares II

Setup 1 :

Integrated amp - Audiolab 6000A
Power Amp - Audiolab 8300XP stereo power amp
Speaker - Focal Aria 906

Setup 2 :

Integrated amp - Audiolab 7000A
Speaker - Focal Aria 906
Subwoofer - Rel T5x

Hi all ,

I'm new to HiFi audio and with years of research and numerous thread reads , I have shortlisted to get these which my Friend offered to get it.
Please help me with narrowing down to the right setup for my living room (14 x 12 )

The idea behind relying on setup 1 is future proof , I can add a bluesound node 2i which can provide me usb/hdmi input (just like 7000a) and as a good streamer. I can even add an external DAC in the future if I have money saved for Denafris pontus or Ares II

Setup 1 :

Speaker - Focal Aria 906

Setup 2 :

Speaker - Focal Aria 906
Subwoofer - Rel T5x
All ways pre power is good. But again why 6000a in pre section. Better to go dedicated pre amplifier.

Hi all ,

Setup 1 :

Speaker - Focal Aria 906

Setup 2 :

Speaker - Focal Aria 906
Subwoofer - Rel T5x

I would vote for setup 2,

I have owned both audiolab 6000a and 7000a in the past, the DAC and features on the 7000a with the extra watts brought nice omph out of the same speakers (Lintons)

Add a Wiim Pro instead of Bluesound Node, you will save some money and the DAC on 7000a is much better than on Bluesound Node.
I would stay away from Bluesound Node for DAC, use as a streamer only if needed.

Another questions would be, why Focal with Audiolab? Have you heard it ?

I would vote for setup 2,

I have owned both audiolab 6000a and 7000a in the past, the DAC and features on the 7000a with the extra watts brought nice omph out of the same speakers (Lintons)

Add a Wiim Pro instead of Bluesound Node, you will save some money and the DAC on 7000a is much better than on Bluesound Node.
I would stay away from Bluesound Node for DAC, use as a streamer only if needed.

Another questions would be, why Focal with Audiolab? Have you heard it ?
Thank you for the reply Amrut..I have not heard the mentioned setup , though I fell in love with Focal speakers as I heard their active studio monitors for the same price range.. They were so neutral and didn't cause fatigue..

I agree to the fact that 7000a is a considerable update to 6000a but I feel that adding an extra stereo power amp or monoblocks with the setup and even connect RME ADI 2 as a dac and preamp instead of audiolab 6000a integrated amp would give enough juice to any upgrades in the future..

I'm worried to use RME ADI 2 DAC directlyas a DAC to a mono block power amp as it can be dangerous to your speakers. I need to really learn to understand the gain matching and stuff..

So I thought it would be better to use a gain matched integrated amp from audiolab 6000a with power amp.

Thank you for the reply Amrut..I have not heard the mentioned setup , though I fell in love with Focal speakers as I heard their active studio monitors for the same price range.. They were so neutral and didn't cause fatigue..

I agree to the fact that 7000a is a considerable update to 6000a but I feel that adding an extra stereo power amp or monoblocks with the setup and even connect RME ADI 2 as a dac and preamp instead of audiolab 6000a integrated amp would give enough juice to any upgrades in the future..

I'm worried to use RME ADI 2 DAC directlyas a DAC to a mono block power amp as it can be dangerous to your speakers. I need to really learn to understand the gain matching and stuff..

So I thought it would be better to use a gain matched integrated amp from audiolab 6000a with power amp.

Where are you located ? You could audition the Focal and Audiolab separately, to be honest I wouldn't pair these together.
Audiolab is almost neutral, Focal on the other hand is slightly analytical but I wouldn't call it bright.

There is no problem in connecting the RME to a power amp directly, but the pre section is where all the magic happens.
You will get many more pre - power combinations, but its a pain to match if you don't go with company provided pre - power.

I left the pre power game long back due to matching issues, just settle for a integrated which sounds good to you and you like.
Audiolab will be enough to power any speakers, be it 6000a or 7000a, you will be surprised to know all that power might be left unused in day to day scenarios.

Where are you located ? You could audition the Focal and Audiolab separately, to be honest I wouldn't pair these together.
Audiolab is almost neutral, Focal on the other hand is slightly analytical but I wouldn't call it bright.

There is no problem in connecting the RME to a power amp directly, but the pre section is where all the magic happens.
You will get many more pre - power combinations, but its a pain to match if you don't go with company provided pre - power.

I left the pre power game long back due to matching issues, just settle for a integrated which sounds good to you and you like.
Audiolab will be enough to power any speakers, be it 6000a or 7000a, you will be surprised to know all that power might be left unused in day to day scenarios.
Thank you Amrut. .Sorry for the delay in reply. I'm based out of Chennai. Looking for demo's in Chennai for Audiolab and Focal..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back