USB C from Mac to Optical/Coaxial converter.

manishk3008

I am interested in trying out Hi-Res Lossless (ALAC up to 24-bit/192 kHz) on Apple Music from my Mac/iPad. The issue is that this requires an external DAC. I have a Denon PMA-900hne amplifier, which has Optical and Coaxial digital inputs but lacks a USB port. I'm wondering how I can convert USB-C to Coaxial or Optical. I know I could use a DAC like the Topping E50, but I'd prefer not to, as the DAC in the Denon is of good quality, and I'd like to use it without spending money on an external DAC. Any suggestions, anyone?

I am interested in trying out Hi-Res Lossless (ALAC up to 24-bit/192 kHz) on Apple Music from my Mac/iPad. The issue is that this requires an external DAC. I have a Denon PMA-900hne amplifier, which has Optical and Coaxial digital inputs but lacks a USB port. I'm wondering how I can convert USB-C to Coaxial or Optical. I know I could use a DAC like the Topping E50, but I'd prefer not to, as the DAC in the Denon is of good quality, and I'd like to use it without spending money on an external DAC. Any suggestions, anyone?
1. If you are doing to use the mac, the mac OS doesn't have the ability to automatically adjust the sampling rate. It will always play at a fixed sampling rate. You can change it using the audio midi setup app everytime the song changes. Or you can download an opensource lossless switchter to do that automically for you

2.ipad/iphone do a better job than macs. They do automatic sampling rate change of the dac connected to it.

3. You can use dacs that have optical out (like topping D10 which is quite cheap) or digital to digital converters to get optical SPDIF out. You will get full DSD support with toppings D10. With convertors you will not be sure. For that to happen you need minimum UAC2 class for the USB driver.

Last edited:
1. If you are doing to use the mac, the mac OS doesn't have the ability to automatically adjust the sampling rate. It will always play at a fixed sampling rate. You can change it using the audio midi setup app everytime the song changes. Or you can download an opensource lossless switchter to do that automically for you

2.ipad/iphone do a better job than macs. They do automatic sampling rate change of the dac connected to it.

3. You can use dacs that have optical out (like topping D10 which is quite cheap) or digital to digital converters to get optical SPDIF out. You will get full DSD support with toppings D10. With convertors you will not be sure.
Thanks, thinking along the same lines getting Topping D10. Not sure if I can try it first just to check if it makes sense at all or if I can notice the difference between airplay vs USB input ;)

Thanks, thinking along the same lines getting Topping D10. Not sure if I can try it first just to check if it makes sense at all or if I can notice the difference between airplay vs USB input ;)
I have toppings D10 with me. You can drop in if you are in or around Kharadi and check it out. I have few other dacs without optical out too. I have one such dac connected to my mac mini to play high resolution music from apple music.

Regarding Airplay, spotify is better than airplay

I have toppings D10 with me. You can drop in if you are in or around Kharadi and check it out. I have few other dacs without optical out too. I have one such dac connected to my mac mini to play high resolution music from apple music.

Regarding Airplay, spotify is better than airplay

Sure, will DM you. I might need to borrow from you.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back