Apple Lossless hi-res via AVR’s DAC ?

MIS100

I was wondering whether we can use iPhone’s lightening to HDMI converter and feed it to an AVR HDMI input. Will the audio thus generated be Lossless and Hi-res as AVR’s DAC is being used ??

Alternate approach : The easiest way to achieve this with your receiver is to purchase the camera kit adaptor and the Nobsound Douk Audio U2, plus a digital coaxial or optical cable. There's no need for a DAC between your phone and the amp as you will be using the amps DAC this way.

The easiest way to achieve this with your receiver is to purchase the camera kit adaptor and the Nobsound Douk Audio U2,

I heard the apple sells even the camera cable at 3000 or something or more than 75% of a shanling or tampotec :)

I was wondering whether we can use iPhone’s lightening to HDMI converter and feed it to an AVR HDMI input. Will the audio thus generated be Lossless and Hi-res as AVR’s DAC is being used ??
1. HiRes is easy to check. The Music player will show the HiRes symbol.
2. Losless implementation by apple is a bit of a mess. You need to have few wierd combination of apple devices (right now limited only to iphone and ipad) and audio hardware to get lossless. Even the macbook pro, mac mini cannot play bitperfect unless you manually change the sampling rate for every song using the audio Midi setup. Does you AVR has info button that shows the audio bitrate?

Part1

Part2

EDIT:

I have spent almost 2 months breaking my head how to play songs conveniently. Ultimately this is what I have done

1. Repurposed my 2012 mac mini to run big sur to get the last apple music app. It is damn inconvient to use your iphone everytime you want to listen to music. If you have a spare iphone that can be permanently connected to the avr/dac, that would be the best option
2. Connect a high quality dac to the mac mini. I have also connected the avr to the hdmi out. But I feel my DAC gives a far better output
3. Turn on screen sharing on mac mini
4. Use my macbook pro to connect to mac mini using vnc (Finder --> Network --> connect to MacMini --> screen Sharing).
5. Click the music app to select and play.

The above is the best compromise I have reached. The level of comfort that apps like spotify, linux mpd, etc give and allow you to control the music from any device anywhere is totally missing in the apple ecosystem, unless you have 100% apple devices for audio, streaming, etc

Last edited:
Back