Apple TV latest or Nivide shield pro

renjith lal

Hi all,

At present I use Sony X800 and Oppo 103 for streaming (prime and netflix) and also for playing local files (blue ray rips).
I was just wondering getting Apple TV (2021 model) or Nvidia shield pro will improve performance?

Which is better, apple tv 4k or Nvidia shield pro for local files playback and streaming?
Please share your thoughts.

Does apple tv 4k can be used for local files playback?
One issue with shield pro in long term is that it is not hdmi 2.1.

Thanks
Renjith

If you play local files, then I would suggest Nvidia Shield Pro.

I have one, and use Kodi for local file playback.

Kodi is not available for Apple TV OS. Of course there are alternate options.

To play local files is it mandatory to connect a SSD to shield for 4k movies or normal HDD 3.0 will work fine?

Hi all,

At present I use Sony X800 and Oppo 103 for streaming (prime and netflix) and also for playing local files (blue ray rips).
I was just wondering getting Apple TV (2021 model) or Nvidia shield pro will improve performance?

Which is better, apple tv 4k or Nvidia shield pro for local files playback and streaming?
Please share your thoughts.

Does apple tv 4k can be used for local files playback?
One issue with shield pro in long term is that it is not hdmi 2.1.

Thanks
Renjith

Local file play back definitely shield.

@renjith lal - with no support for using a USB stick/HD - the local file playback on apple TV can be a huge inconvenience to say the least within a network based apple eco system to downright hair pulling annoying in a non apple ecosystem - with Plex/Infuse pro etc. So if local playback files is the requirement don't even look at the ATV4K.

To play local files is it mandatory to connect a SSD to shield for 4k movies or normal HDD 3.0 will work fine?
USB sticks work best in my experience, SSD is not a mandate, you can pretty much use anything (not sure about powered HDs - don't remember).

Nvidia shield tv pro is the way to go,
Apple TV is best for streaming not for local content.

Tidal has Atmos on Nvidia shield too, though the sound output is meh. But atmos music is a thing to experience on a 5.1 system.

if you want one let me know.
I have 60$ stuck in Amazon US account can order directly at your home.

Actually I was looking for both streaming and local play back. My Sony and Oppo does it but was wondering if there is
any better option.
Yeah that is the issue, I need to figure out what are the options. Shield have options to connect ssd or hard disk.
But looks like shield is released in 2019 and they may release a new product soon supporting hdmi 2.1?

@renjith lal - with no support for using a USB stick/HD - the local file playback on apple TV can be a huge inconvenience to say the least within a network based apple eco system to downright hair pulling annoying in a non apple ecosystem - with Plex/Infuse pro etc. So if local playback files is the requirement don't even look at the ATV4K.

USB sticks work best in my experience, SSD is not a mandate, you can pretty much use anything (not sure about powered HDs - don't remember).
Thanks Chander, as you mentioned apple ecosystem is needed for optimum use of apple tv.
One of my friend is able to steam contents from NAS by purchasing a paid software.

Nvidia shield tv pro is the way to go,
Apple TV is best for streaming not for local content.

Tidal has Atmos on Nvidia shield too, though the sound output is meh. But atmos music is a thing to experience on a 5.1 system.

if you want one let me know.
I have 60$ stuck in Amazon US account can order directly at your home.

Apple also has come with lossless and spatial audio (term used by apple for atmos)
In general I am not a fan of streaming using prime or netflix and prefer local blue ray play back provided if I have it locally.
Use streaming mainly for regional movies

Actually I was looking for both streaming and local play back. My Sony and Oppo does it but was wondering if there is
any better option.
Yeah that is the issue, I need to figure out what are the options. Shield have options to connect ssd or hard disk.
But looks like shield is released in 2019 and they may release a new product soon supporting hdmi 2.1?

Nvidia updated the Shield in 2019, after a very long time. I do not think any further updateis going to come any time soon.

Why don't you set up a Plex server for local media playback? If I remember correctly, Sony X800 is on Android TV, so you should able to download the Plex client from the Play Store.

Nvidia updated the Shield in 2019, after a very long time. I do not think any further updateis going to come any time soon.
Nvidia generally updates shield every 2 years, 2015 than 2017 than 2019 but I recon an update gonna come in 2022 due to covid.

Nvidia generally updates shield every 2 years, 2015 than 2017 than 2019 but I recon an update gonna come in 2022 due to covid.
Am doubtful. But would be good if they update. The interim updates were quite minor. Chip etc stayed the same.

Why don't you set up a Plex server for local media playback? If I remember correctly, Sony X800 is on Android TV, so you should able to download the Plex client from the Play Store.
You are acorrect, X800 is on android.
I am able to play local files by connecting hard disk to X800, only issue is few files wont play in X800 and I was
wondering using shield pro or apple tv will improve the performance or not.

oh, ok. I thought they come with latest hdmi2.1

Any reason you want HDMI 2.1 on Shield ?
HDMI 2.1 is strictly for 4k 120 FPS gaming right now, all other things works with HDMI 2.0

I am able to play Dolby Atmos True HD or DTSX and IMAX enhanced movies on Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 got few days back without any hiccup. And these movies are 50-70gb each.

Any reason you want HDMI 2.1 on Shield ?
HDMI 2.1 is strictly for 4k 120 FPS gaming right now, all other things works with HDMI 2.0

I am able to play Dolby Atmos True HD or DTSX and IMAX enhanced movies on Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 got few days back without any hiccup. And these movies are 50-70gb each.
No special reason, just thinking about future or making it future proof.

Thanks for sharing the details. You are playing 70Gb downloaded file?
I dont have that big file.

No special reason, just thinking about future or making it future proof.

Thanks for sharing the details. You are playing 70Gb downloaded file?
I dont have that big file.

Yup, blu ray movie rips with both DTS or Dolby files.
No need of waiting go for it without thinking of future, last took 4 yrs for update.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back