Arc

aadi

Hey Everyone

Stuck with ARC setup, and I was wondering if one of you had some insights to share

Hardware
- LG smart TV (runs WebOS), comes with two HDMI ports, one is ARC supported
- Sony home theater (DZ290K) 2010 make, with a HDMI port, No Digital Out, 3.5mm Aux out

- Home theater alone, functions all right. 3.5mm aux cable works okay.
- However, when hooked to TV, ARC from TV is not routing audio to home theater, with (SMP link enabled on TV, toggled multiple options)

The same home theater did result the 5.1 output when it was connected to a Sony TV (so am guessing the home theater was able to route audio using ARC, but I may be wrong if it used BraviaSync, unless that uses a different technology)

Would you have any suggestion on how to achieve a 5.1 output out of TV to the home theater? (without coax, or digOut)
Any recommended set up/approach/hardware additions? Thanks!

I do not know the exact features configuration of your set up. but ideally the connection should be
Source(STB,DVD,BD Player etc.) --->Receiver HDMI in--->Receiver arc out----> TV HDMI in.
Is that how it is?

I do not know the exact features configuration of your set up. but ideally the connection should be
Source(STB,DVD,BD Player etc.) --->Receiver HDMI in--->Receiver arc out----> TV HDMI in.
Is that how it is?
Sorry to hijack, but out of curiosity, Did you mean HDMI out of AVR when you mentioned 'Receiver arc'? If Yes, should the HDMI out be having ARC?

Hey Everyone

Stuck with ARC setup, and I was wondering if one of you had some insights to share

Hardware
- LG smart TV (runs WebOS), comes with two HDMI ports, one is ARC supported
- Sony home theater (DZ290K) 2010 make, with a HDMI port, No Digital Out, 3.5mm Aux out

- Home theater alone, functions all right. 3.5mm aux cable works okay.
- However, when hooked to TV, ARC from TV is not routing audio to home theater, with (SMP link enabled on TV, toggled multiple options)

For ARC to work, both the TV & AVR (Sony) need to support it.. In your case, TV supports it.. Not sure if Sony supports it.. Hence you don't get audio in your AVR..

The same home theater did result the 5.1 output when it was connected to a Sony TV (so am guessing the home theater was able to route audio using ARC, but I may be wrong if it used BraviaSync, unless that uses a different technology)

Don't think you would get 5.1 audio even if you used it with Sony TV? You sure ?

Would you have any suggestion on how to achieve a 5.1 output out of TV to the home theater? (without coax, or digOut)
Any recommended set up/approach/hardware additions? Thanks!

Until and unless you are using HD audio, co-axial/optical will work fine..

Sorry to hijack, but out of curiosity, Did you mean HDMI out of AVR when you mentioned 'Receiver arc'? If Yes, should the HDMI out be having ARC?
Generally the Home theater receiver will have a single HDMI out connection that goes to the TV or Projector. The rest of HDMI connections are inputs from various sources. The output usually has a tiny 'arc out' printed on it. The Sony model in question does not have HDMI in connection.
So maybe there is some setting in the LG TV that needs to be looked at to get ARC working with the Sony home Theater.
spec link:http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/DAV-DZ290K

Is that how it is?

TV > home theater
TV HDMI(ARC) > Home theater HDMI

For ARC to work, both the TV & AVR (Sony) need to support it.. In your case, TV supports it.. Not sure if Sony supports it.. Hence you don't get audio in your AVR..

Don't think you would get 5.1 audio even if you used it with Sony TV? You sure ?

Until and unless you are using HD audio, co-axial/optical will work fine..

it worked from a Sony TV, it did result out with a 5.1 and that worked perfectly fine. just that Sony TV & Sony home theatre, both supported Bravia sync,
what am not sure is if bravia sync uses another technology

hometheatre does not have a co-axial optical out. so that leaves me in a state of limbo i reckon.

Generally the Home theater receiver will have a single HDMI out connection that goes to the TV or Projector. The rest of HDMI connections are inputs from various sources. The output usually has a tiny 'arc out' printed on it. The Sony model in question does not have HDMI in connection.
So maybe there is some setting in the LG TV that needs to be looked at to get ARC working with the Sony home Theater.
spec link:Support for DAV-DZ290K : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony Asia Pacific

LG TV, has this option to choose home theater with ARC, and additionally it gives you on option to enable SMP link. which is all enabled. i have played with various settings, am kinda guessing this is due to hardware limitation on the sony home theater. and thats a bummer

it worked from a Sony TV, it did result out with a 5.1 and that worked perfectly fine. just that Sony TV & Sony home theatre, both supported Bravia sync,
what am not sure is if bravia sync uses another technology

hometheatre does not have a co-axial optical out. so that leaves me in a state of limbo i reckon.

If it worked with Sony TV, then it should work with LG too.. HDMI function is the same, they have different names from different brands..

Bravia Sync is more like HDMI -CEC control which would control other HDMI devices..

Try to look in to your LG TV Manual, there must be some setting missing..

How about checking your HDMI cable?

I am using ARC with Denon x3200 ans samsung tv without any issue I just plugged it in and everything was working well.

You may want to check your TV settings, In my TV it says Output speakers 'TV' or 'Receiver'
If Tv speakers are selected then ARC does not work

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back