Ardent Fan of Mr Siegfried! Hi from Chennai ....

flanker.r

I am an avid unorthodox audiophile (since age of 6!). Avid because I love what 'audiophilia' has to offer and unorthodox because to me music comes first rather than the equipment. I let go of the syndrome of infinite regression for audio gear about 5 years back and since then its been a pleasant ride. I still pursue the hobby of building amplifiers, crossovers and test gear.

I am looking forward to meeting and discussing things related to hi-fi with like minded people. I am a big fan of Mr Alan Dower Blumlein's invention and Ingenuity. I strongly believe that music listening sessions cannot be pleasant on anything other than well designed stereo equipment.

Big no..no.. to 5.1, 7.1, 8.1 stuff.

This is my setup

Source
Technics SL-1300 MK2 turntable - heavily modified with an externally tracking tone-arm that is isolated from the turntable chassis
NAD C541 CD Player
Nakamichi DR-2 3 head Cassette Deck
Nakamichi ST-2 FM tuner

Amplifiers
Nad C320, Nad C370 and Carver CM-1090 Active tri-amped
Custom built JBL 12? based Sub-woofer

Speakers
Klipsch KG 3.5

Other Gear
Behringer CX-2310 Active Crossover
Behringer DEQ 2496 ?? Equalizer/ Sound Processor
Custom built Discrete Phono Preamp
Nad 3020 amplifier ?? used as headphone amplifier
TCC Phono Preamp
Grado SR-80 Headphones
Cables and Interconnects ?? Bandridge, Monster and some DIY designs

I am an avid unorthodox audiophile (since age of 6!). Avid because I love what 'audiophilia' has to offer and unorthodox because to me music comes first rather than the equipment. I let go of the syndrome of infinite regression for audio gear about 5 years back and since then its been a pleasant ride. I still pursue the hobby of building amplifiers, crossovers and test gear.

I am looking forward to meeting and discussing things related to hi-fi with like minded people. I am a big fan of Mr Alan Dower Blumlein's invention and Ingenuity. I strongly believe that music listening sessions cannot be pleasant on anything other than well designed stereo equipment.

Big no..no.. to 5.1, 7.1, 8.1 stuff.

This is my setup

Source
Technics SL-1300 MK2 turntable - heavily modified with an externally tracking tone-arm that is isolated from the turntable chassis
NAD C541 CD Player
Nakamichi DR-2 3 head Cassette Deck
Nakamichi ST-2 FM tuner

Amplifiers
Nad C320, Nad C370 and Carver CM-1090 Active tri-amped
Custom built JBL 12? based Sub-woofer

Speakers
Klipsch KG 3.5

Other Gear
Behringer CX-2310 Active Crossover
Behringer DEQ 2496 ?? Equalizer/ Sound Processor
Custom built Discrete Phono Preamp
Nad 3020 amplifier ?? used as headphone amplifier
TCC Phono Preamp
Grado SR-80 Headphones
Cables and Interconnects ?? Bandridge, Monster and some DIY designs

Hi flanker:

Welcome to this magical place. You are indeed very experienced in hifi, i think so, and most of all you like music first, cheers to that. Very good equipments there. I look forward for your advise regarding hifi as we sail along.:)

PS - I very badly need a tape deck new or excellent used one, where can i find them.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum :)! have pleasant stay here !

Very nice to hear that you like Mr.Linkwitz ! Am an avid follower of his designs myself !!

Nice setup you have ! please do share with us the pics of the setup and your listening tastes and such !

Btw whats your take on the Orion's ??

Vinod have you tried in Radio Market ?? the mother of all used items !! Am sure you'll find one to your liking as I saw tonnes of them when I visited a week back or so...

Regards.

Last edited:
Vinod have you tried in Radio Market ?? the mother of all used items !! Am sure you'll find one to your liking as I saw tonnes of them when I visited a week back or so...

Sorry to OP for poking my head into his intro thread with a selfish question.:(

Radio Market, where's that, can i buy online, is it only in Bangalore, where can i find them in chennai ?

:D lots of questions. sorry SG.

Just heard sometime back from friends that 2 decks and an MD player were available for sale -A Technics RS-B 404 and a Nakamichi DR-3. Both are excellent models. PM if you are interested and I'll get further details

Hi,

Flanker thanks for liking my DIY efforts :)!!

Vinod Am sorry I thought you knew !! its not Bangalore,its in chennai ! I mentioned it coz I was there in chennai ( I frequently Visit), its in the Ritchie Street off Mount Road ! you go to Mount Road and ask anyone they'll guide you !

Also checkout the offers from flanker ;)!

Regards.

Welcome to HiFiVision, Flanker. Your posts here have been enlightening and impressive and that is some system you have there!

Hi,

This is the picture of the externally tracking tonearm. I have always preferred well designed straight tonearms to S-shaped ones. I have also retained the original tonearm of the SL-1300 MK II (of course have disabled the auto-return Gimmickry). The straight tonearm is mounted on a custom built platform and carries a AT95-E MM cartridge. The Technics tonearm carries an Grado MM cartridge

No plans of building the Orions for now. Busy in building my tube based phono preamp.

Last edited:
I have a cousin that I can put you in touch with. He is a tape fanatic...he owns three 3-head tape decks including a Bang & Olufsen model, a Tanndberg model and a TEAC model....he might have some leads on where you can get hold of a tape deck.

Hi flanker:

Welcome to this magical place. You are indeed very experienced in hifi, i think so, and most of all you like music first, cheers to that. Very good equipments there. I look forward for your advise regarding hifi as we sail along.:)

PS - I very badly need a tape deck new or excellent used one, where can i find them.

Hi,

This is the picture of the externally tracking tonearm. I have always preferred well designed straight tonearms to S-shaped ones. I have also retained the original tonearm of the SL-1300 MK II (of course have disabled the auto-return Gimmickry). The straight tonearm is mounted on a custom built platform and carries a AT95-E MM cartridge. The Technics tonearm carries an Grado MM cartridge

No plans of building the Orions for now. Busy in building my tube based phono preamp.

Nice setup! Thanks for the pic. The straight arm looks very much like a Jelco 250ST. What phono-amp are you building? I was interested in the Aikido PH-1, but I just might drop it for a Jolida 9D-9A with Level 1 mods from Underwood. However it's all a long way off...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back