Are AE5s only for near field listening?

techboy

MY EXPERIENCE

Great when I am sitting at the table with the speakers just about a feet away and the volume is loud.

By loud I mean:
Speakers : 40-50% of total
Windows (Windows 7) : 40-60% of the max
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX
Burn In: 100+ hours or at least 50+ I guess, maybe even more

However, the sound doesn't fill the entire room like my Sony music system used to.

Although the room is just 12x12, if I am standing 4-5 feet away from the speakers or especially if I am in the bathroom, the sound isn't good at all, in the bathroom in fact it is terrible. Unlike with my previous Pioneer HT or Sony music system.

Of course, when I am just next to them, they beat the crap out of the above two, but especially at high volumes only.

The sound just doesn't fill the space around, not even a 12x12 room.

And the volume becomes irrelevant. It sounds better at a lower volume next to them rather than away from them and a high volume.

Are they basically meant for near field listening? Any body else noticed this?

you might have toed the speakers in for your sitting listening position at 1ft. when you go away, that still is your sweet spot. try to make them face straight with no toe in when you are listening at 4-5 ft and see if there is any improvement.

Placing them nearer the back/side walls will reinforce the bass. However, I do have a slightly unusual experience - I used my set in the US for a while and they did fill the room very well. However, on bringing them to India, I didn't get the same level of performance in a room of similar size. I assumed this has something to do with room acoustics so didn't think much about it. Perhaps running them on 230V (there's a switch) is playing a role - but this is just speculation. I'm still very happy with the sound.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back