Are HDMI ports very delicate?

svenkateshsmart

Hi Friends,

Within a week after the HDMI port of AVR died on me, I did lose 2 HDMI ports in my pana TV. I have been reading through several articles and other forums, and I have seen lot of HDMI port failures, especially in PS3, Xbox and some LCDs/Plasmas and in some receivers. It looks like the HDMI versions 1.0 and 1.2 were not so stable, as the 1.3a and 1.4 (?).

HDMI FAILURE Poll - EVERYONE please respond [Text View] - TiVo Community

But in most of the cases, it is just do with HDCP issues and in other cases, HDMI port settings. These are very simple and can be resolved without much intervention.

My TV is under warranty and the Pana CS will change the ports alone or the entire circuitary for me within 2-3 weeks!:eek:hyeah: I am yet to figure out what caused this and as of now, these things come to my mind:
1. Frequently changing connectors, frequent fiddling with the equipments (which I enjoy the most:eek:hyeah:).
2. Using cheap cables.
3. Power fluctuation or any faulty devices???
4. Mishandling (I can't accept this wholeheartedly, because I never mishandle them)

I am yet to rule out these reasons. I am waiting to hear back from the pana guys, who didnt have any clue when I said the hdmi port not using. The SC said, ""you are the first one to have had the HDMI port killed" Bravo!

Once I get them fixed, I will try to figure out and post the reasons as to what happened and what went wrong with my HDMI family!

So, I got the HDMI ports killed and so what! I thought I would just give a heads-up to all the equipment fiddlers here like me! You will never know the pain until you experience it by yourself. Because the luxury of HDMI is more than anything, a single cable for audio and video, what a technology! I gave all my branded svideo, optical, coaxial, component cables to my friends!:clapping:indifferent14::indifferent14:

Also, do post your thoughts and your suggestions!

Cheers!

Well changing ports/cables can damage it as it has 19pins which are very small ,they can be damaged due to friction.
So once setup done ,pls do not change unless necessary.

It looks like a case of bad earthing and Live current flow from your HDMI cables which has resulted in loss of HDMI port in your AVR and now on your TV. I would suggest you to disconnect everything from your gear and then with the help of a Line tester which is used for AC current for our electrical works, check out each and every cable connected with your AVR as well as TV. Touch the tester with the golden surface of the HDMI cable and then look for the bulb in the tester to glow to confirm the above fact. I was surprised when I saw the same in my setup which resulted in the failure of my AVR's HDMI board.

It looks like a case of bad earthing and Live current flow from your HDMI cables which has resulted in loss of HDMI port in your AVR and now on your TV. I would suggest you to disconnect everything from your gear and then with the help of a Line tester which is used for AC current for our electrical works, check out each and every cable connected with your AVR as well as TV. Touch the tester with the golden surface of the HDMI cable and then look for the bulb in the tester to glow to confirm the above fact. I was surprised when I saw the same in my setup which resulted in the failure of my AVR's HDMI board.

Hi,

May I know how did you fix your AVR's HDMI board and how much did you spend for that?

Cheers!

Well changing ports/cables can damage it as it has 19pins which are very small ,they can be damaged due to friction.
So once setup done ,pls do not change unless necessary.

It also depends on how fast the bits are forced out of the AVR. These bits are tiny and sharp and hurt the hdmi port like walking barefoot over iron filings on a floor ... and sometimes they get stuck and wedged in the grooves of the port connector and (sucks in breath) .............. do you guys really want me to continue ? :D :)

Cheers

I had to get the board replaced as it was non repeairable due to the chip on both sides of the board. It costed me 40K to get it fixed.

Hi,

Thanks Ashish for the suggestions!

40K:eek::eek: I think I am sure I can get expect an exuberant bill if I send it for repair! Better I will go for another AVR down the road, and shift this to another room!:)

Cheers

It also depends on how fast the bits are forced out of the AVR. These bits are tiny and sharp and hurt the hdmi port like walking barefoot over iron filings on a floor ... and sometimes they get stuck and wedged in the grooves of the port connector and (sucks in breath) .............. do you guys really want me to continue ? :D :)

Cheers

A good example...:eek:hyeah:

nowadays, most good HDMI cables are physically quite roubust in construction, e.g. with net jacketing etc, which makes them heavy. this i guess puts some extra weight on the jacks. one can use "port savers" to protect against this problem (available on monoprice - just search). never used one, but the idea seems logical.

Hi,

Some weeks back the HDMI ports in my TV and AVR stopped working. I have made a complaint to the pana service center and after much drama, they have taken the TV for service and I only know it is going to take its own course.

Seems the HO service centre is in Chennai and problem tickets are forwarded to this service centre for any issues. The service guy took approximately 10-15 mins to figure out what is HDMI and looked at the cable in a way we would look at a "meteorite."

They just took the TV in a two-wheeler, while they promised they were going to take in an auto. Thank God Pana does not have any direct sales outlets, else they would do all the deliveries like Pizza.:eek:hyeah:

I dont know how these companies managed to have a customer service like this! You must have heard about a site "ezrecharge.in" who does recharge for prepaid mobiles. Even they have a x1000 better customer care than these people.

I have had samsung and viewsonic LCDs and I would give a A to their aftersales service. Though viewsonic does not have any service center, they have independant contractors who are taking care of things flawlessly. Now I understand why works are outsourced!!!!!!!:)

These all happened after I sent them a-page long letter! It is high time that they changed their pattern of doing business. When I have to go through so much hassle to get the product repaired under warranty, I would still be better off If I import one for half a price and after 6 months break it into pieces!

Cheers!

When I complained abt Philips,they promised to carry LCD in van,proper packing & did the same.That to 2 times as model replaced was different .

When I complained abt Philips,they promised to carry LCD in van,proper packing & did the same.That to 2 times as model replaced was different .

Hi,

You're one of the luckiest lots! Check your back head for any 666 or 999 lucky marks:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Always, things go wrong for me with any purchase, but then life is pretty cool!!!!

Cheers!

In my case ,many times,1st opportunity is missed,but second works flawlessly whether its LCD,HT OR other.

Hi,

Just to update on the issue, I am still awaiting my TV from the panasonic service centre. You can very well calculate the days from my earlier post and today. Whenever, I call them they say, they are waiting for an "important" component, God only knows from where as Chennai is the main service centre.

One of my friends has already started calling me a "HDMI killer", as I managed to spoil 3 HDMI ports so far!

Spruce up, venkat!:eek:hyeah: Still plenty of HDMIs to go!:eek:hyeah:

Cheers!

One of my friends has already started calling me a "HDMI killer", as I managed to spoil 3 HDMI ports so far!

Spruce up, venkat!:eek:hyeah: Still plenty of HDMIs to go!:eek:hyeah:

Cheers!

I really admire your attitude. When my 875 did not display any images, I was ready to drop an atom bomb on Japan !!:mad:

Cheers

Hi,

Guys, yahoo! Finally, after some 3 weeks, panasonic service centre has finally managed to resurrect HDMI ports for me. They used a two-wheeler and delivered the TV, as I could see them from the terrace, but they prevaricated that it was delivered via an auto. Typical for the delivery guys, Panasonic has nothing to do with. Probably, they will have their own vehicle if we keep them busy. So, guys, letz keep them busy!

These guys insist that the original bill be produced, I dont know why and what I will do for the next service:eek:hyeah:!

No issues after all, tipped those guys a few hundreds for bringing my gadget in one piece and they happy, I happy, all happy happy!:clapping:

So, AFAIC, I would rate their service as fair and reasonable, good going panasonic guys! Still lots to improve!

Cheers!

I have mentioned this before (see link below) but the entire HDMI support is very flawed from the connectors to the specifications and to the design. This is the reason we have so much ambiguity between pass-through, Video only etc. The connector is designed very badly and within a few months I have had to use a tape to hold the HDMI cable to my Oppo.

To me it sounds like a patch approach by the RIAA and Movie Industry to prevent piracy. Like any technology solution, people found holes in it even before it became the "official" standard.

The ONLY advantage it gives over standard RCA is reduce the no. of connectors. No BIG deal esp. when you do not need to change the connectors to your equipment in years.

http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...se-suggest-dvd-player-go-my-panny-plasma.html

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back