Are "Monitors" better than speakers ?

SynthSmith

When we go through the music creation & studio topics/websites, we find that speakers are often called "Monitors". Maybe it has to do with music creators 'monitoring' the sounds they create!

My question is, do monitors provide most accurate/intended sound ?? and are the common speakers actually re-engineered to provide ear-attractive sound ?? (so they sell well)

And then, how are these speakers from Roland ?
EDIROL MA-20D Digital Stereo Micro Monitors :: Overview
Basic use, would be to listen to media from a computer, without headaches.
Volume control & headphone jack is a must!

top_L.jpg

image_02_L.jpg

Hopefully it would be a nice upgrade from the trusty old AIWA SC-C77 from the 90's multimedia & CD-ROM & SoundBlaster days!
50648c42.jpg

Maybe it has to do with music creators 'monitoring' the sounds they create!
Exactly that.

They are designed to be tools: revealing and unforgiving. They are also usually designed for "nearfield" use, ie, within a few feet of your ears.

Of course, there are monitors and "monitors". By the latter, I mean domestic speaker manufacturers might think it a catchy name for a speaker range!

Within true monitors, as with all speakers, there is a huge range of price, from affordable to hit-the-roof. Mine are pretty low on that scale: the M-Audio AV40s.

You'll find quite a few threads in which people discuss suitable desktop systems for computers: I think you'll find all the information you are looking for, and some good recommendations, along with pros and cons of monitor speakers.

Whilst I suspect that almost anything would be an upgrade to your old Aiwas, I wouldn't put money on it, because some surprisingly good stuff has born that name!

The only thing that is sure is that one gets so much more for one's money in speakers now, compared to a decade or two ago.

Thank you... for the articles that you linked to, and a couple of others that they linked to.

Even though I have a heavy inability to understand technical information of the mathematical kind, even when presented as a graph, they left me feeling more educated about speakers.

Sound on Sound is an excellent magazine. I used to buy it sometimes, when I was in London, and I always check it out for reviews of equipment.
In a way I feel, monitors might be better for computer usage, because we sit just 2 or 3 feet away from them!
Indeed... they might! :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back