Are there any phono preamps that don't apply the RIAA EQ ?

sureshkn

A short story : :)
Few days back I wanted to record a song in my PC from a vinyl. Phono preamp was not around and I was lazy to get it. So, I thought may be I should record from vinyl directly and then apply Audacity's RIAA EQ. That sounded like a good idea. And when I recorded without phono preamp the recording was almost like a flat line. So, I stopped it within few seconds. Played it to check what it has recorded. Nothing was audible. Then thought I should apply RIAA EQ. I applied it, but still the audio was flat line and nothing audible. Reverted RIAA EQ.

Then I thought may be I should amplify it. Then applied Amplify. Voilà audio was there and it played great. It was sounding very nice. Then I did below experiments.,

1. No phono preamp -> Record -> Amplify -> Apply RIAA = Average
2. No phono preamp -> Record -> Amplify = Great (but Bass was less)
3. Phono preamp -> Record = Okish
4. No phono preamp -> Record -> Amplify -> Apply Bass Boost = Great. Better than 2.

So, I concluded that 4 is best option to record in PC. But I want to try the same thing with my Audio set up as well. I think all phono preamps by default has RIAA EQ. Is there any phono preamp without RIAA EQ and then I can use my equalizer to apply EQ that I like ?

Thanks & Regards,
Suresh.

A phono preamp w/o RIAA eq is a normal Preamp.

Take your pick from any Preamp available in the market.

By applying Bass Boost to your non-equalized audio you actually did half of RIAA equalization already.

You must be a treble head. :)

Cheers...!!

If you are having a magnetic cartridge then you have to have mag Phono Preamp to get best result. As it applies RIAA EQ as well as amplifies it to line level. In any case if you use phono preamp of ceramic it will not well.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back