Arphi speakers

Madhavan Nair

I have Arphi Aquarius Spkrs bought in1982,Technics su 8600 inegrated amp.Still going strong- big terrific sound.Does any one out there have equipment of similar vintage?

Madhavan Nair

Welcome to Hifivision.
They were the best ones during mid 80's. Cosmic had better range of speakers & solid state amps during the same period. I had Arphi for 2 years with 12 inch drivers sounded great with Sony amp, thay also produced amps & equalisers.

Anil

Last edited:
Dear Anil Kumar,

You are quite right.Since audio products of good quality could be imported only at exhorbitant prices,lots of home grown companies came into being-Cosmic was one with their lab 3000 and lab 5000 amp,Enbee existed in Delhi along with wood stock speakers.Norge and sonodyne continue from those days.Then speakers always meant floor standing.In fact i still possess a belt driven turntable with an sme like arm produced in poona which could give any Lin sondek a run for its money

Madhavan Nair

I still have Sonodyne Uranus turntable with Audiotechnica stylus, sounds great. Sonodyne had good range of solid state amps, compitetor to cosmic.
I love vintage amps, sounds sweet without eq, i still use vintage Pioneer SA 9100 & Yamaha CA 610 amps, they are built like a tank with solid milled alluminium knobs & thick front panel, build quality is superb. I had Cosmic CO-100 with Covox 3500 speakers, sounded great

Anil

Dear Anil Kumar,

You are quite right.Since audio products of good quality could be imported only at exhorbitant prices,lots of home grown companies came into being-Cosmic was one with their lab 3000 and lab 5000 amp,Enbee existed in Delhi along with wood stock speakers.Norge and sonodyne continue from those days.Then speakers always meant floor standing.In fact i still possess a belt driven turntable with an sme like arm produced in poona which could give any Lin sondek a run for its money

Madhavan Nair

I agree with you completely.My present amp su 8600 (Bought in the 80's) is built like a tank with big beautiful knobs and beautiful sweet sound .
Look below for picture of my amp- click on attachment.photo-0334 in manage attachments below

Attachments

• Photo-0334.jpg
    Photo-0334.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 560
Nice looking amp, these are more reliable & trouble free amps. Look at my vintage amp collection.

Anil

I agree with you completely.My present amp su 8600 (Bought in the 80's) is built like a tank with big beautiful knobs and beautiful sweet sound .
Look below for picture of my amp- click on attachment.photo-0334 in manage attachments below

Last edited:
Dear Anil Kumar- really first class.I envy you!.As a matter of interest if you happen to visit sim lim towers in singapore try and locate a shop which sells all manner of audio equipment of the golden era of audio/stereo,including all the amps.I saw a quad,leak and luxman amp for sale.How i wish i had picked it up. Its Now too late.With plethora of home theatre sound around,I feel people do not know or have forgotten what good solid sound is all about.I am a firm believer in keeping home theatre and Stereo completely seperate

Madhavan Nair

Beautiful looking Amps, Madhavan,Anil & very well maintained-look like new!
I still own & use quite heavily( Avg 4 to 5 Hrs/day) Enbee Pre & Power Amps & Enbee 3 way speakers which I bought in 1979!

Dear Kamal,
Enbee made very good Amps.I remember visiting them in ND.I think the name of the company was Nakra Bros in shankar market.

I still possess an Enbee Amp EA-50 and another amp Marantz 1060

Madhavan

I bought my amps through ebay. Pioneer is 1973 model, top of the line model with 65 watt RMS per channel weighs almost 16 kgs. But Yamaha & Kenwood is circa 1979. All are 110 volts. But i still like the sound of Sansui, even today it sells at $300. Sansui amps are heavy & they do not ship to India. Check this link for more Sansui amps sansui au, Vintage Electronics, Home Audio items on eBay.com

Anil

Hi Anil

How do you get the amps you buy shipped from the U.S.A.? Are there any customs problems/duties when importing these amps.
I would love to buy some amps from ebay but have been worried about shipping and customs problems.
Regards
Rajiv

Dear Anli,Rajiv,Kamal,
Its good to know that there are many people out there who still savour good old stereo sound.

Madhavan nair

Oh yes!
Inspite of the explosion of HT/Surround sound, there are many audiophiles who are perfectly content with good "old fashioned",stereo sound.
In fact I would hazard a guess that true Hi End consists mostly of stereo.

Hi, i got my amps through USPS, insured. Custom duty is 36%, works out very expensive, but worth the money.

Anil

Hi Anil

How do you get the amps you buy shipped from the U.S.A.? Are there any customs problems/duties when importing these amps.
I would love to buy some amps from ebay but have been worried about shipping and customs problems.
Regards
Rajiv

Hi Kamal, there is no such a thing as old fashioned stereo sound, vintage amp sounds warm & clean with remarkable build quality such as knobs, panel, meter, switches & power supply. Nad had a model 3020 with just 28watts, sounded better than any other amp. The NAD 3020 has been the first integrated built to sound like a hi-quality amplifier, with outstanding driving capabilities & surprisingly, all this came at a very low price.
SANSUI AU 717 one more beast, this Sansui Masterpiece has a rated power output of 85 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms. The true mono-block design with 2 separate transformers delivers very low distortion and massive headroom clean sound with plenty of power, even now it sells for $400 at ebay. YAMAHA had CA1000 & CA 1010 & Pioneer SA 9800, SA 9500 & SA 9100.....pretty long list....I certainly do not like the stereo sound from a HT amp.

Anil

Oh yes!
Inspite of the explosion of HT/Surround sound, there are many audiophiles who are perfectly content with good "old fashioned",stereo sound.
In fact I would hazard a guess that true Hi End consists mostly of stereo.

Hi, i got my amps through USPS, insured. Custom duty is 36%, works out very expensive, but worth the money.

Anil

Is it compulsory to pay custom duty? or is it because you got it insured tht you had to pay? because my frds order books from amazon thru usps, but havent ever paid duty.

Insurance is optional, there is no escape from duty. Only dvd's, cd's & books are exempted from customs duty.

Anil

Is it compulsory to pay custom duty? or is it because you got it insured tht you had to pay? because my frds order books from amazon thru usps, but havent ever paid duty.

Rather than eBay, Audiogon strikes me as a better marketplace. If you search for sellers in Singapore, HK then shipping should be cheaper too. On the down side, most the stuff carried seems more on the high-end side than entry-/mid-level.

Hi,
You mention getting your amps from Ebay....how does one handle the customs?
Is it possible then to buy these things online, like say Audiogon or similar sites that offer equipment at good prices? How does one send the money and handle the shipping?
any help here is appreciated.
Tx
ckn

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back