Ascendo Series-C speakers

subhobh

After writing a brief review about Tannoy Turnberry Speakers, I thought that, I am committing a sin if I skip Ascendo speakers!

Ascendo GmbH is a German audiophile loudspeaker manufacturer: (Ascendo High End Audio) and is available through Bass n Treble (Bass 'n' Treble) in northern zone. Currently their series-C, F, M, Z and Gold editions are available in India, and rest is on request I believe.

The very first time the Ascendo C8-C and C7 pairs arrived at Dennys store (Bass n Treble in Gurgaon), I requested him for an long audition. Wow, after hearing them for the first time, I have visited Denny so many times auditioning it again and again! Denny, is such a welcoming and so friendly personality, he never said no to me!

Ascendo C8 is one of the most advanced speaker technology, Ive ever seen!! It has a TOS unit, which is a ribbon tweeter on the rear panel and that can be switched on or off. The idea behind this is to enable the listener to choose between a wider soundstage. Once the TOS calculates the reverberation of the room, it can facilitate the speakers to enhance the spatial characters of the loudspeakers. So its a 4-way speaker with TOS on and becomes 3-way when TOS is off. Moreover, the Ascendos C8 cabinet houses an 8 woofer within it through the bandpass enclosure. What it means is, this bass driver handles all the extreme lower frequencies and the front bass port is the only point of output. However, the C7 and C5 pairs doesnt have it. The entire C series also composes of an neodymium fabric driver for the high frequencies, a 7 XP woofer cone for the mid-range and then finally 8 Kevelar driver for bass on only C8. C8 also provides bi-wiring and bi-ampling options.

Denny always performs auditions on this special sound treated demo room at basement:

Denny s audio rig was:
Source CD player: Audio Analogue Paganini
Pre-amp: Manly Jumbo Shrimp
Power-amp: Bryston 4b sst II
IC & Speaker Cable: Audience
Speakers: Ascendo C8-C and C7 Floor stand speakers

Listening it for the first time, the first thing I have noticed is excellent timbral quality of all the C-series speakers, no clutter or distortion and above all absolute no coloration. It produced vocal with great energy. Tonality wise its very well balanced, produces solid bass with a great adorable mid. The music stays accurate and no fatiguing even at very high volume or after a long listening session. Actually this speaker doesnt know how to sing harsh. However, the highs are very polished. As polished as, sometime it may create an illusion of being high frequencies little rolled off. Setting up the Ascendo C8 is a big task and definitely not a one man job. Thats due to its huge weight of 45kg/speaker. On other hand Ascendo C5 and C7 are relatively light weight and easy to set up. The TOS feature makes it even critical task. They need enough free space to breathe to create a wide soundstage. But once they placed properly remarkable soundstage and death can be achieved, which is just beyond imagination. On overall presentation flawless mid range reproduction will blow everyones mind for sure.

I would like to ask everyone to spare some time to visit Dennys store to experience the Ascendos. I am sure that you would never regret of getting the audition. Wish I could afford them!! Help me to raise the money:eek:hyeah:.

For your preview purpose, I have some snaps below:
dsc0386om.jpg

dsc0387f.jpg

dsc0390mp.jpg

dsc0391wu.jpg

dsc0393x.jpg

dsc0398hs.jpg

dsc0401h.jpg

Thanks for reading all!

Regards,
Subho

Last edited:
Wish I could afford them!! Help me the raise the money.

Kitnaa leti Hai? :eek:hyeah:

You forgot to mention the price of the speakers. Whats a review without the price? :)

--G0bble

Kitnaa leti Hai? :eek:hyeah:

You forgot to mention the price of the speakers. Whats a review without the price? :)

--G0bble

I am not sure about the exact numbers, so my apology....

I believe Ascendo C8-C retails at approx 6.25 L, whereas C7 @3.25L and C5@ 2.25L.

Now you know why I need contribution from everyone:lol:?

I am getting PM regarding Dennys showroom, so providing his contact details below:

Bass 'n' Treble Showroom:
Shop no 95-P, Lower Ground Floor, Main Road Market, Sector 31, Gurgaon.
(Opposite Uniworld City)
Mobile: (+91) 9999 016124
Phone: (0124) 424 2125

Thank you Subho for your time and efforts in writing your impressions. A beautiful sight, indeed!

"the Ascendos C8 cabinet houses an 8 woofer within it through the bandpass enclosure. What it means is, this bass driver handles all the extreme lower frequencies and the front bass port is the only point of output. However, the C7 and C5 pairs doesnt have it"
This is not true because C7 have one inside like c8...

These are really beautiful sounding speakers - very coherent and "soulful' if thats the correct word. Had the pleasure of auditioning the C6 at Bass N' Treble a couple of weeks back, the sound still lingers in my brain. Outside of my budget but definitely a sound signature that I will keep looking for in a more affordable package :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back