Astell & Kern AK Jr vs Fiio X3 ii? AK worth the extra cash?

Tony_canuck

My question is, with AK dropping the price of their AK Jr DAP, is it worth the extra cash over a Fiio X3 gen 2?

Some background about me, I am just getting into hi res music, and the price point and features of the Fiio seemed like a good place to start for my first DAP.

However, while researching, I noticed the rave reviews of the AK Jr, and with the recent price drops it now is within reach of the X3.

For someone getting into hi res music, should I start with the X3 now and use it for a few years before upgrading? Or is the sound SO much better that I would regret spending the extra cash.

Btw I should mention that while I have an old pair of headphones (Shure 440) I can buy a new pair of headphones + the X3 for the same price as the AK Jr. I'm leaning towards that combo, X3 + new headphones, but would I regret not getting the AK Jr???

Thanks so much!!!

I own AK Jr and i have heard Fiio X3. Jr is definitely better than Fiio X3. In fact, i liked it better than Fiio X5 (1st version).

Can you elaborate what is your budget ?

For the time I am using http://www.amazon.com prices
AK Jr 64GB is showing at $310
Fiio X3 is $169 and with 128 GB card is $210

Is the sound of Ak Jr 50% better ? Probably not

However, if you okay to expand your budget a bit, I think you should REALLY look at this new Fiio X5

The X5 is Android-based and seems to be epic for its asking price of $399
(On Head-fi forum Fiio says suggested INR price will be 27299)

I have owned both a X3 first gen and X1 first gen - and while I LOVE the audio quality of Fiio, scrolling through large library of songs using that X1 wheel is a PAIN in the ass (don't even get me started on the button scrolling on X3 first gen).
And given its own control button layout as well as OS, it is difficult to be used by anyone else. So it is sort of anti-social :D

So I cant emphasize enough how important it is to have a modern touch interface. All the current hi-res players - Fiio, AK, iBasso - have prehistoric interfaces and frequently slow/laggy
Plus they are usually missing WiFi and Bluetooth

With the X5, you can install any app you want from Android universe - play streaming, load videos, youtube etc

If you really love the music than app and other thinks just pickup the player who uses very good DAC.Here from my experience beautiful dac chip is not other than wolfson and Ak uses "Wolfson WM8740 DAC". which is the heart of the AK and it is exceptional musical in all way.

Also just check the history of Fiio X3 think they had a very hit model ist generation that is truly good one doupt it used the same above dac.

Now you have one more product to look around that is
Pocket HiFi C4 Pro
Colorfly | Colorfly Pocket HiFi | 192KHz/24Bit

used CIRRUS LOGIC that also implemented very beautifully just check on net and decide this one also truly musical.

Great, thanks for all of the info! Thanks for noting the FIIO UI, I have not used any UI other than my old iPod classic.

In terms of budget, I can certainly spend more, but I just wonder if I would notice the difference, as I am new to hi-fi world. For example, someone who likes wine but isn't an expert can't tell the differnce between good, great and insanely expensive wines etc... I just want a good (above avg) DAP.

Great, thanks for all of the info! Thanks for noting the FIIO UI, I have not used any UI other than my old iPod classic.

In terms of budget, I can certainly spend more, but I just wonder if I would notice the difference, as I am new to hi-fi world. For example, someone who likes wine but isn't an expert can't tell the differnce between good, great and insanely expensive wines etc... I just want a good (above avg) DAP.

Where are you based ?
There are usually places where you can try out the device before deciding

+1. The wolfson DAC in Jr is very good. Having said that PCM1792A is no slouch either. I have that in my iDSD micro. I prefer both of them over Geek Out signature which uses Sabre dac.

Regarding upgrades, you can consider Chord Mojo / iDSD micro. Both would require a transport though...something like mobile phone or digital out from your ipod.

is Fiio X3 receiving a android refresh anytime soon?
early reviews of X5iii are not so encouraging, looks like it is riddled with background noise.

is Fiio X3 receiving a android refresh anytime soon?
early reviews of X5iii are not so encouraging, looks like it is riddled with background noise.
I would imagine that Fiio wouldnt offer Android on X3 and X1 to differential the 5 and 7
But then you never know, a year from now they might

And I could find only one reference to background noise on X5 III - on HeadFi
But another reviewer there said he didn't get much, so we need to wait for more reviews to come out

And it is probably always a better idea to wait a couple of months and let Fiio work out the kinks via OTAs :)

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

I would imagine that Fiio wouldnt offer Android on X3 and X1 to differential the 5 and 7
But then you never know, a year from now they might

And I could find only one reference to background noise on X5 III - on HeadFi
But another reviewer there said he didn't get much, so we need to wait for more reviews to come out

And it is probably always a better idea to wait a couple of months and let Fiio work out the kinks via OTAs :)

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

looks like most of the issues have been fixed going by the latest impressions, pre-order started @ Fiio India for 27,299INR

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back