asus m3n783m overscan issue....

Suprateep, congrats on your htpc!

I have a query. I have an onkyo 506, which has only hdmi pass though! So what would be the best htpc solution for me? Is there any way I can get 5.1/7.1 sound from htpc to my avr(got mission speakers and surrounds) without having cables for each channel?

Simply put, any one cable solution, like hdmi, that can pass multichannel audio to the avr onkyo 506 for it to decode?
And if yes, which mobo has the facility?
Thanks

do you have a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

Use the same motherboard like mine (get a quite e series AMD processor - mine creates a din with stock speakers) - the HDMI can pass 8 channel LPCM and video both. Am not sure whether onkyo 506 can take or process HD audio signal (576 can take and 606 onwards can process).

But in case you can use the optical out (realtek) to the receiver and get dd DTS 5.1 from the receiver.

do you have a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

Use the same motherboard like mine (get a quite e series AMD processor - mine creates a din with stock speakers) - the HDMI can pass 8 channel LPCM and video both. Am not sure whether onkyo 506 can take or process HD audio signal (576 can take and 606 onwards can process).

But in case you can use the optical out (realtek) to the receiver and get dd DTS 5.1 from the receiver.

The 506 cannot decode Hd audio on Hdmi. 576 can, but has video pass through only. 606 can do all of it:D

So what I am asking is can I use the optical out on the motherboard for 5.1 for movies?I hope to have a one cable solution than separate rca for each channel. Another way is I could use optical out on a stereo card like asus essence stx?
which other processor would you recommend in the same price bracket?
Forgot to add, I will be using it with a 5.1 set up! The .1 is yet to come though!

Last edited:
The 506 cannot decode Hd audio on Hdmi. 576 can, but has video pass through only. 606 can do all of it:D

So what I am asking is can I use the optical out on the motherboard for 5.1 for movies?I hope to have a one cable solution than separate rca for each channel. Another way is I could use optical out on a stereo card like asus essence stx?
which other processor would you recommend in the same price bracket?
Forgot to add, I will be using it with a 5.1 set up! The .1 is yet to come though!

dude there will be no diff wrt SQ on optical out for the onboard card vis-a-vis the one on essecne stx. But if you plan to use the analog out for pure stereo then with the essence we are talking. If its for home video - 5.1 with optical out from mobo is kool with your receiver.

PS: With lack of true HD titles - i have resorted to spdif via optical to my onkyo 606. With HDMi it can pass 8 channel to the onkyo but i connected the HDMI to my panny so that wife can have easy access to movies (for her 2 channel works fine)

dude there will be no diff wrt SQ on optical out for the onboard card vis-a-vis the one on essecne stx. But if you plan to use the analog out for pure stereo then with the essence we are talking. If its for home video - 5.1 with optical out from mobo is kool with your receiver.

PS: With lack of true HD titles - i have resorted to spdif via optical to my onkyo 606. With HDMi it can pass 8 channel to the onkyo but i connected the HDMI to my panny so that wife can have easy access to movies (for her 2 channel works fine)

Thanks for the reply, so that means I can use optical out to send multichannel audio to the onkyo 506, thats a relief!Phew!

Yeah, I know that using the optical out would render the dac of the sound card jobless/useless:p, but I am willing to sacrifice a bit for movies so that i can have stellar sq for music!:D

Thanks for the reply, so that means I can use optical out to send multichannel audio to the onkyo 506, thats a relief!Phew!

Yeah, I know that using the optical out would render the dac of the sound card jobless/useless:p, but I am willing to sacrifice a bit for movies so that i can have stellar sq for music!:D

due if you plan to go fr an HTPC suggest the following:

Asus M3N78EM
AMD X2 5600 (you can take the 7750 and use k10stat to lower the proccy to 800Mhz for silent operation during stereo playback - but that woudl take some setting up to do).
Windows XP 32/64 bit (do not tread towards vista - more ram and resources used and problems with SQ)
RAM: 2 GB for XP (more than enough atleast for DVD ripping within 30-40 mins)/4 GB for vista
ODD: LG secue drive (possibly if liteon too if available)
Sound card; Builtin realtek for optical 5.1, nvidia hdmi for 8 channel lpcm via hdmi
Graphics Card: nvidia 8300 in built is enough
Cabinet: As per choice

PS: Install XP, install mobo drivers & realtek sound card drivers from CD (nforce first) other utilities, get a bios update from the net, install nvidia hdmi driver 1.00.0.37 (check on the asus website), set in bios (HD audio through spdif, front panel audio HD, int + external - this is imp). You will see two software drivers for soudn in the mixer panel in XP. Use the realtek one for spdif use for 5.1 and 2.0 out to you receiver. In case you can also connect the HDMI (using nvidia HDMi audio driver) for e.g. in winamp and foobar to play music directly off you TV (if it takes HDMI 1.3).

Aslo note setting up a HTPC properly is slightly fuzzy unless you do a trial and error and read a bit before setting out. I bought the stuff and read along as i set it up. A 42'' at a distance of 6ft is great for browsing as well.

Last edited:
due if you plan to go fr an HTPC suggest the following:

Asus M3N78EM
AMD X2 5600 (you can take the 7750 and use k10stat to lower the proccy to 800Mhz for silent operation during stereo playback - but that woudl take some setting up to do).
Windows XP 32/64 bit (do not tread towards vista - more ram and resources used and problems with SQ)
RAM: 2 GB for XP (more than enough atleast for DVD ripping within 30-40 mins)/4 GB for vista
ODD: LG secue drive (possibly if liteon too if available)
Sound card; Builtin realtek for optical 5.1, nvidia hdmi for 8 channel lpcm via hdmi
Graphics Card: nvidia 8300 in built is enough
Cabinet: As per choice

PS: Install XP, install mobo drivers & realtek sound card drivers from CD (nforce first) other utilities, get a bios update from the net, install nvidia hdmi driver 1.00.0.37 (check on the asus website), set in bios (HD audio through spdif, front panel audio HD, int + external - this is imp). You will see two software drivers for soudn in the mixer panel in XP. Use the realtek one for spdif use for 5.1 and 2.0 out to you receiver. In case you can also connect the HDMI (using nvidia HDMi audio driver) for e.g. in winamp and foobar to play music directly off you TV (if it takes HDMI 1.3).

Aslo note setting up a HTPC properly is slightly fuzzy unless you do a trial and error and read a bit before setting out. I bought the stuff and read along as i set it up. A 42'' at a distance of 6ft is great for browsing as well.

Thank you for the detailed instructions.
I still dont have a big screen tv, just have a normal 21" sony crt. I can use s video I guess.
Hopefully will get one sometime this year!:rolleyes:

My Cowon D2 player was stolen, so I plan to use my pc as music source, and also to watch movies. I was planning to get a Pioneer DV610, but if the htpc works out, I wont be needing the Pio.
Hence I am looking to buy the Asus essence stx for stereo music and use the on board optical of the asus m3n78em for movies.
I already have a Lite on dvd drive on my 5 yr old amd sempron pc.
Which smps have you used?

Thank you for the detailed instructions.
I still dont have a big screen tv, just have a normal 21" sony crt. I can use s video I guess.
Hopefully will get one sometime this year!:rolleyes:

My Cowon D2 player was stolen, so I plan to use my pc as music source, and also to watch movies. I was planning to get a Pioneer DV610, but if the htpc works out, I wont be needing the Pio.
Hence I am looking to buy the Asus essence stx for stereo music and use the on board optical of the asus m3n78em for movies.
I already have a Lite on dvd drive on my 5 yr old amd sempron pc.
Which smps have you used?

:eek: - dont pull me up - i am using the one that came with the iball 306 for the time beign till i get a Apevia HTPC cabinet from the US whcih i plan to visit soon.

BTW do use a lower athlon x2 like 5200/5600 or a intel mobo+core2 duo e series if cooling is not there. The Athlon 7750 will run hot with default fan and will create a din if proper cooling is not provided (or declock it to 800 mhz for music use)

:eek: - dont pull me up - i am using the one that came with the iball 306 for the time beign till i get a Apevia HTPC cabinet from the US whcih i plan to visit soon.

BTW do use a lower athlon x2 like 5200/5600 or a intel mobo+core2 duo e series if cooling is not there. The Athlon 7750 will run hot with default fan and will create a din if proper cooling is not provided (or declock it to 800 mhz for music use)

By proper cooling, do you mean extra fan or an airconditioned room? I dont have the latter and cochin is hot as hell these days.

suprateep
can the built-in nvidia 8300 graphics in the asus mobo support a 24 inch monitor? Of 24 inch or 22 inch monitors which is prefferable.

It supports resolution upto 2560x1600
Go for 24" Dell, bigger is better plus full HD resolution of 1920x1200.
In 22" u get 1680x1050 which is resolution u get even when u buy 20" monitor

By proper cooling, do you mean extra fan or an airconditioned room? I dont have the latter and cochin is hot as hell these days.

dude if you can afford a good off the shelf cooler (cpu cooler 4 pin for amd 7750 for pwm) then nothing like it. The temp normally for an AMD is higher than Intel and hovers around 40-50C at load conditions (nothing to worry about as my other PC AMD64 Venice is connected to the net 24/7 and I declocked it to 800 Mhz for that and still hovers around 41-45C) - the default fan sucks so a after market cooler is good. Plus it can be overclocked but i have declocked the 7750 to 1200 Mhz and everything like dvd rips and 720p plays fine. Only for a handful 1080p i let it hover around 2000 Mhz (clock speed is 2.7 and can be overclocked to 3.3 under proper cooling)

Pune is hot with temp around 40C - so can;t help it myself. For music i declock it further to 800 mhz and the fan is silent. For movies - yes the noise is there (i can live with that - with AC it is non-existent)

suprateep
can the built-in nvidia 8300 graphics in the asus mobo support a 24 inch monitor? Of 24 inch or 22 inch monitors which is prefferable.

the inbuilt nvidia 8300 supports HD resolutions but with older TVs there will be overscanning or underscanning (projected image on tv will be bigger or smaller than display size) - you need to adjust the timing by the newest drivers (the ones that come with the mobo driver CD does not work - htough install them first before upgrading)

suprateep pics are awaited ..!

as for cooling OCZ cooler

may be used what u say ?

the ocz cooler will run cooler but will create a lot of noise - unwarranted in a HTPC> For that a Scythe Schuriken is better - check out reviews and if you want to buy Lynx has it - but they are totally uncoperative - you can get if for 30 USD from quitepc.com (check the website in google)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back