Asus Xonar U7 or m-audio Fast track Pro or dedicated DAC

firearm12

I have got Asus Xonar U7 USB sound card and m-audio Fast track Pro USB audio interface for PC/MAC. I connect these to my amp marantz pm8004. Music collection is mostly 320kbps mp3's.

I find the m-audio to be having more clear, refined and balanced sound. Though xonar U7 is more crisp at high frequencies and provides more bass. I like m-audio more. U7 seems unnatural to me.

My question is if I get a new dedicated DAC, then how much better SQ will I get an how much will I have to spend to feel real difference in SQ than my existing setup. If anyone can suggest a good DAC please

Highly speculative as Noone know how you hear - requires testing and experementing by you!

Yes I know, but still if anyone has compared the sound of m-audio fast track pro with modern DAC's, that could be of some help in deciding how much worth will it be.

I bought a preowned Arcam rlink DAC and I think it sounds wonderful. I never have heard such music in PC audio. The guy said it sounds even better when connected to DC battery (its rated 6V) instead of its adapter. I tried connecting it to my portable 5V power bank and it does sound more neat when on DC. Please if someone can answer my questions.

1) Can 5V DC on a 6V device can cause any harm?

2) I tried googling and found that there are dedicated power supplies manufactured for DAC's and reviews say these are better. Can anyone confirm if its really worth to spend such amount on such a dedicated powersupply or if battery DC will be better, I assume I can buy a 6V 4.5Ah small battery and run the DAC and it will be cheap. Its rated and 0.7 W so I should be getting lots of hours of music on one charge. Whats better?

Back