ATC Speakers

Hey there, first post on the forum and what better thread to start.
Enjoying music on ATC scm11 with sugden a21se signature, the matrix mini i-pro 3 as source and a rel t5i sub.

Welcome to the forum! That's a wonderful setup.
Do consider sharing pictures of your setup if you can.

Hey there, first post on the forum and what better thread to start.
Enjoying music on ATC scm11 with sugden a21se signature, the matrix mini i-pro 3 as source and a rel t5i sub.
Looks like the SE is able to drive the SCM11 well ?

i used to own a Sugden a21 original many years ago and tried running a ATC SCM 40 it simply could not drive it.

Welcome to the forum! That's a wonderful setup.
Do consider sharing pictures of your setup if you can.

Thank you and I have recently shifted the audio from my bedroom to its dedicated room, so awaiting the rack, rug and some furniture to bring the eco under control, post that will share the pics of the same.

Looks like the SE is able to drive the SCM11 well ?

i used to own a Sugden a21 original many years ago and tried running a ATC SCM 40 it simply could not drive it.
Yup, its drives them with ease for my levels of listening. I had tried a few amplifiers before finalising the sugden.

Living in an apartment I have to be mindful of the volume levels and mostly my listening window around 60db with peaks going to about 70db. Main criteria for the selection was an amplifier which can bring out the goodies at low volumes. At first I used used my nad c368 which sounded decent, smooth out the high's as I find the atc to be forward sounding and had good bass control but at 55-60db listening level the nad just didn't do enough and the music always had to be turned upto 75+db to get the fun going.
Tried bryston mono's, kinki studio power amps, rogue cronus magnum and the sugden, finally closed the deal on the sugden.

Do note, when pushing into 90db or higher with the sugden(on the atc), the bass control isn't as good(read loose) and even the mids and high's become shrill and sharp, indicating its time to back OFF. For louder listening levels its better to look at power amps or integrated's with more power and control with the ATC.

I think for moderate listening levels the Sugden A21SE + ATC SCM11 would work well.
I have seen a few Sugden + ATC setups online and have been intrigued by the combo.

The ATC 3 way passives starting with the 40 are a complex load IMO.
You really need a sure footed amp with a lot of grunt to get the best out of the 40s.
They can also be a little difficult to place in a room without some sort of room treatment.

In comparison the ATC 2 ways - 11,19 and 20 are much more coherent and easier to place in a room.

SCM 40 is a speaker I am totally ambivalent to in the entry series. While it is one of the most sold speaker in the ATC range, the CLD bass driver in it is not in the same league as the tweeter, the mid dome and the SL driver in the 19/20.

It always feels slow to me with some overhang compared to the super tight bass of the 19/20 and even the 50 which again has a superb 9" SL bass driver.

If i upgrade from the 19, I would stretch and directly get the 50.

SCM 40 is a speaker I am totally ambivalent to in the entry series. While it is one of the most sold speaker in the ATC range, the CLD bass driver in it is not in the same league as the tweeter, the mid dome and the SL driver in the 19/20.

It always feels slow to me with some overhang compared to the super tight bass of the 19/20 and even the 50 which again has a superb 9" SL bass driver.

If i upgrade from the 19, I would stretch and directly get the 50.
Totally agree with this. I have heard the range from ATC upto the 100. It is the 19 -> 20 -> 50 ->100 if you really want the performance that ATC is known for. With these speakers, your upstream gear has to be really good.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back