Audiholics Get together thread - Bangalore edition

argentum246

Hello Mods , Audioholics,
Would like to know if there is a thread where like minded audioholics / HT and Music experts can meet at each others place under strict by invitation only, once every month or so in their house , so that we can see other setups and learn valuable lessons or avoid burning hands via impulsive buys or just appreciate each other efforts in this hobby. This would help us also in group buys or even avoiding mistakes that we tend to do as there is only good online reviews available that is done in an ideal room which is far from realty.

This group via maybe whatsapp (by invite only) can also discuss config issues or other setup problems. They can also celebrate weekend get together and help sort out issues or questions and help members take wise decisions to perfect his setup over cup of coffee for fellow FMs. I have seen many of these groups exists in international community / countries once you qualify / prove that you have knowledge and equipment that you can share with fellow FMs.
This shall also help for FMs who would not like to share the images of their setup openly in this forum as this is public forum that anyone (non-audioholic) can join for free and target your house in your absence.

I hope that this would definitely help in nurturing this costly hobby the right way with knowledge of so many seasoned FMs and live happily for some more time without disturbing family peace.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well this is a nice thought and I myself on numerous occasions thought about starting the same thread with a link to a what’s app group for CHENNAI FM’s but dropped it.It’s up to each individuals how they interact in the forum and build trust with other FM’s. I have made a few friends all over India in this forum who i interact regularly over the phone and also met three fm’s at their place in CHENNAI with two being good friends as we are in same age group. They have visited my place and I have visited their place in numerous occasions. I also have invites from few more CHENNAI FM’s who I am yet to meet and to check their set up. The main reason I dropped the idea of a what’s app group is cause all will start chatting in wats app and the forum will become less active. Let’s have all the discussions related to configuration, issues etc in the forum which will also help others and have a better reach

Last edited:
I agree with your thought. The whatsapp group is needed when you like to share your setup with known ppl rather that open forum that can be peeked by unintended audience. Also it is easier for coordinating get together.

Many FMs are on too many WhatsApp groups. One more is probably too much to manage :)
Make friends via the forum, chat over forum or one-on-one seems to work better I guess.
Also I've seen that meeting up "regularly" is a myth.
In a city like Bangalore getting from one place to another is a challenge in itself.
Cheers,
Raghu

The trouble with enthusiasts is that they get over-enthusiastic and can throw caution to the wind. We live in an age in which we trust everyone we meet online. Please read the post below from FM madbullram before calling someone over for an audition. If it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen, as Nassim Taleb says "The central idea in The Black Swan is that: rare events cannot be estimated from empirical observation since they are rare." :)

This is already happening in Bangalore. One example was the
Many FMs are meeting at each others residences for auditions and sharing views and rich experiences

The trouble with enthusiasts is that they get over-enthusiastic and can throw caution to the wind. We live in an age in which we trust everyone we meet online. Please read the post below from FM madbullram before calling someone over for an audition. If it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen, as Nassim Taleb says "The central idea in The Black Swan is that: rare events cannot be estimated from empirical observation since they are rare." :)

OMG! that was horrifying :eek: same has happened to one I know and such incidents made me introvert...I don't know why :(

I just posted the same in another thread. Thanks to the article that is a real eye opener as well as a lesson for all of us:

Due diligence has to be done when you make friend or invite someone. As far as sharing your gear with someone we need to keep few things in mind:
1. Mods should lock the "show your gear thread" and should allow by invitation / based on number of posts in this forum.
2. Do read person's post in hifivision before you invite, for a background check.
3. Once 2 is done, talk over phone and ensure you have atleast few other friends from forum before u sign up for meet. Never invite a stranger into your house for one to one meet. The gtg should always be in group and you need to be approved by the admin via some id (just my thought).
4. Also get some sort of ID exchanged should you have some doubts or reference to support the identity.
5. Also if he know any other forum member who can vouch for him.
6. Never share your profession , Social media ID, gear you posses or planning to buy here as there are lots of dealers / scammers living and watching everyone in this forum itself under disguise.
7. Delete your post (I am not sure how to do it) if you think you got the info you are looking for or you had a unique issue that no one knew the answer past few years.
8. Frame your questions in forum in such a way that you can get precise answer without revealing unnecessary personal facts, (eg I live in abc area and in this apt xyz with very costly stuff and I am not able to get good sound despite spending few lakhs, or I am going for vacation and shall miss my pqr stuff that i recetly brought.) etc
9. Rescan your profile for any such loose threads.
10. Dont reveal any facts in any posts that may help a scammer to trace you, like ur address location to FM post.
11. Make sure your signature reveals only what is necessary and not your entire purchase history that can be easily seen by anyone.

There can be many more or some might not be relevant. Also note that one incident should not make us get back in our cocoon. We have to get up and be more vigilant as the world is also filled with equally good people who are ready to help in this cruel world.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back