AUDIO CD problems!

Silica gel especially self indicating can be reheated and made 'dry' and can be reused.

I re-use silica gel very frequently for storing my camera lenses in a desiccator.

I also use silica gel (indicating type) extensively with my camera lenses. When the color turns pink, I microwave them. When the silica gel become dry, they turn blue in color.

Silica gel especially self indicating can be reheated and made 'dry' and can be reused.
Whilst I knew that...
When the color turns pink, I microwave them. When the silica gel become dry, they turn blue in color.
...how long do you microwave them for? Or do you judge it entirely visually.

I know one can buy the stuff, but I never have. I always put the little packets that come with gadgets in with stuff like steel tools. The packets are not transparent; can't see the colour.

i'd never be able to gather together more than one or two, whereas, even though, in Indian terms, my wife and I are eccentric eaters (with different diets too!), there is always a jar of rice in the house.

One good idea might be to toss it in a sieve to get the dust out. On the other hand, maybe dust, for absorbing, is good?

Whilst I knew that...
...how long do you microwave them for? Or do you judge it entirely visually.

usually 1 minute is enough. However, if the color does not turn deep purple, I microwave them further. After the crystals cool down, I place them in an empty soap box and then place is inside air tight container with the camera lenses.

Rice is also a very good desiccant and can be used instead of silica gel.

I know one can buy the stuff, but I never have. I always put the little packets that come with gadgets in with stuff like steel tools. The packets are not transparent; can't see the colour.
Those are not the indicating type. They don't change color. However, these are available more easily. One trick you can do is to have just one or two crystals of the indicating type along with the non-indicating type. I think you get the indicating type in Mylapore (few shops that provide lab chemicals).

Oh, thanks, I had a confusion about that: I didn't realise there was more than one type.

Whilst I can't think of lab-chemical shops in Mylapore, I can in Parry's. Fascinating area, but absolute hell to drive/park.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back