Audio connection between DVD player and AVR

mahiruha

Hello,
I am wondering regarding the AUDIO connection between a AV receiver and a DVD player with DTS , DOLBY DIGITAL decoding and analogue 7.1 out. Let us consider a DVD player like Cambridge audio DV99 which has 7.1 channel analogue out and a/v receiver like onkyo TX-SR 705 which can accept this 7.1 analogue input. Now is it correct to say that if I want to use the decoder of the DVD player then I need to use the analogue connection otherwise if I want to use the decoder of the A/V receiver then the co-axial , optical or HDMI cables should be used. Is there any way around to use the dvd player's dts or dolby decoders and pass the signal digitally to the a/v receiver and stop the receiver from further processing. In short I just want to use the decoder of dvd player and listen to the output from the a/v receiver. Any idea how this can be achieved.
Thanks in advance,
Mahiruha.

Yes, in short you can take RCA cables(4 pairs), connect one end to DVDp 7.1 analoge out end & other end to AVR 7.1 analoge in & config DVDp to use its decoders.

If you have Onk 705,then it can do processing better than DV99.
You can use 7.1 input of AVR to connect 7.1 output of PC/Soundcard in the same way.

Yes, in short you can take RCA cables(4 pairs),

Well there lies my problem. 4 pairs of quality RCA pairs will cost almost same as a dvd player. Hence I would prefer a solution where I can use 1 single hdmi or co-axial to send the decoded signal to the AVR. How this can be achieved?

Well anm I guess there is a decoder called dts neo matrix which extrapolates 5.1 to 7.1 and something like that and also I guess if there is no point for 7.1 then Cambridge Audio people why took the effort to put that option in their dvd player. Hence I guess it is not at all impossible.
Thnaks,
Mahiruha.

AFAIK, Gladiator (Signature Selection) has DTS ES Discrete - 6.1 One of my all time favorites!

Gladiator.jpg

Well there lies my problem. 4 pairs of quality RCA pairs will cost almost same as a dvd player. Hence I would prefer a solution where I can use 1 single hdmi or co-axial to send the decoded signal to the AVR. How this can be achieved?

Well anm I guess there is a decoder called dts neo matrix which extrapolates 5.1 to 7.1 and something like that and also I guess if there is no point for 7.1 then Cambridge Audio people why took the effort to put that option in their dvd player. Hence I guess it is not at all impossible.
Thnaks,
Mahiruha.

You can connect HDMI & set opt aud output/decode via HDMI.
The payer can send it as PCM/LPCM,not sure?

anm-
Xmen 3 & LOTR is with Dts 6.1

Mahiruha, please go through http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html for a detailed discussion on connectivity.

Cheers

Hello Venkat,
I have read your detailed article and it reconfirms my hunch that if we want to use the decoding capacity of the dvd player then we need to use analogue 5.1 or 7.1 connection. With any digital connection the utilization of decoding capacity of the DVD player is not possible.Now my problem is let us assume a scenario that I am connecting the DVD player with analogue connection with the receiver for audio and for video the connection is made with HDMI. In that case the receiver will get the raw digital audio data from the player through HDMI cable and try and process it. So We are left with one set of analogue sound data processed by DVD player and another set of sound data processed by AVR. My question is how the AVR decides which data to output. Or we can overcome this problem by using component cables( I am stressing on HDMI or component since I want to see upscaled video) for sending the video signals so that AVR doesn't get any raw digital data from the DVD.
Anyway your article on AVR connections is very well crafted for beginners
like us.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hello Venkat,
I have read your detailed article and it reconfirms my hunch that if we want to use the decoding capacity of the dvd player then we need to use analogue 5.1 or 7.1 connection. With any digital connection the utilization of decoding capacity of the DVD player is not possible.Now my problem is let us assume a scenario that I am connecting the DVD player with analogue connection with the receiver for audio and for video the connection is made with HDMI. In that case the receiver will get the raw digital audio data from the player through HDMI cable and try and process it. So We are left with one set of analogue sound data processed by DVD player and another set of sound data processed by AVR. My question is how the AVR decides which data to output. Or we can overcome this problem by using component cables( I am stressing on HDMI or component since I want to see upscaled video) for sending the video signals so that AVR doesn't get any raw digital data from the DVD.
Anyway your article on AVR connections is very well crafted for beginners
like us.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Mahiruha, in DVD players like CA DVD99, in the Audio set-up menu there is an option to set-up HDMI Audio. There are three modes, SPDIF, Auto and Off. If you choose off, there will be no digital audio via HDMI. Hope this is what you are asking about.

In addition, in the AVR you can choose which input you are using for a particular session. The connection you choose will be used even if you have umpteen other connections made physically.

Cheers

Another question -

Suppose somebody is using a Oppo 980 as a DVD_P and a CD_P.

what connections to use...

as for a good CDP output u have to use RCAs..

thanks

Another question -

Suppose somebody is using a Oppo 980 as a DVD_P and a CD_P.

what connections to use...

thanks

toslink or coax is excellent for 5.1 sound for both CD and DVD. You can listen to 2.1 with this connection as well. RCA wont make that big a different except if you have high quality CDP and intergrated and great speakers and equally good listening environment.

Another question -

thanks

Hello Bazee,
let me share with you my recently aquired knowledge on this matter. What I understand is when we intend to use a DVD player as a cd player there are two possible underlying assumptions.

1) The dvd player has a good Transport that means it has very good data reading capacity.
2) The dvd player has a very good audio DAC which means it can achieve quality digital to analogue conversion.

Hence I guess if you intend to use a DVD player as a cd player you have to decide urself what is good about the DVD player.

If only (1) is good then any digital connection is good.
If both (1) and (2) holds then yo have to use quality RCA cable to get a decent performence from audio cds from the DVD player.

Some DVD player which claims about having a quality CD playing capacity has dedicated 2 channel output to make use of their own DAC. An example is Cambridge audio Azur 540D.

Hope it helps,
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hello Bazee,
let me share with you my recently aquired knowledge on this matter. What I understand is when we intend to use a DVD player as a cd player there are two possible underlying assumptions.

1) The dvd player has a good Transport that means it has very good data reading capacity.
2) The dvd player has a very good audio DAC which means it can achieve quality digital to analogue conversion.

Hence I guess if you intend to use a DVD player as a cd player you have to decide urself what is good about the DVD player.

If only (1) is good then any digital connection is good.
If both (1) and (2) holds then yo have to use quality RCA cable to get a decent performence from audio cds from the DVD player.

Some DVD player which claims about having a quality CD playing capacity has dedicated 2 channel output to make use of their own DAC. An example is Cambridge audio Azur 540D.

Hope it helps,
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

In addition to these, there are two important parts of player that affects SQ through analogue outs - Op Amps (non-tubes) & Power supply. Many lower priced DVDPs have low cost IC op amps which sacrifice performance to keep the cost low.

If you search the web, you will find many DIY enthusiasts modify their cheap CD players by replacing Op Amps & power supply and claim substantial improvement in SQ. You will also notice that the improvement is very marginal when they try modifying expensive CDPs.

I personally feel these two affects SQ more than DAC part of the player.

980 does'nt have separate 2ch for stereo,but has 7.1 out of that fronts can be used as stereo output.

Hello,
I have a question in this regard which is to do with LFE. Well in DVD player which has a 7.1 output if we only connect the fronts as stereo output then should we get any LFE signals. I mean to say in case if we are using a floor stander with considerable bass is it needed to make the analogue connection for subwoofer as well for complete bass effect. In this context is it also fair to assume that when there is dedicated stereo output then the internal circuit is not filtering any of the LFE signals like it is doing in 7.1 output???
Thanks,
Mahiruha

(1) Well in DVD player which has a 7.1 output if we only connect the fronts as stereo output then should we get any LFE signals.

(2) In this context is it also fair to assume that when there is dedicated stereo output then the internal circuit is not filtering any of the LFE signals like it is doing in 7.1 output???

(3) I mean to say in case if we are using a floor stander with considerable bass is it needed to make the analogue connection for subwoofer as well for complete bass effect.

I have separated your questions into three.

LFE signals are part of a movie which has 5.1 or 7.1 audio signals. When you use a regular audio CD there is no LFE signal. All the signals are sent to just two channels - The front L&R.

When you use a DVD, the receiver can do any of the following:

1. Send all signals to the Front L&R
2. Send signals upto a particular lower frequency to the Front L&R, and send all frequencies below that to the sub.

If you set the receiver to recognise the Front L&R as large speakers, they will receive all signals. This usually assumes there is no sub.

If you set the receiver to 'No Sub', all frequencies will again go to the front, irrespective of whether the Front are 'Large' or 'Small'.

If you set Sub to 'On', and the Front to 'Small;, you can decide what frequencies go to the sub, and what go to the Front.

Cheers

If you set the receiver to recognise the Front L&R as large speakers, they will receive all signals. This usually assumes there is no sub.

If you set Sub to 'On', and the Front to 'Small;, you can decide what frequencies go to the sub, and what go to the Front.

Cheers

In Onkyo if we select front as "large", we can still decide what frequencies go the sub.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back